9 to 5
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Moms who work part time

I am trying to find a way to work part time...if you work part time, where do you work?

thanks

Re: Moms who work part time

• Go to the SAHM board on the Bump and check out their FAQs. They put together a list.

I transitioned from my old in-office job to doing the same thing as a freelancer for them. I'm in medical communications.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Our little Irish rose came to us on March 5, 2010
    Don't drink the water.
    Disclaimer: I am not an MD. Please don't PM me with pregnancy-related questions. Ask your doctor.
  • I have a three year old (almost four) and I decided to leave corporate america to stay home with him but have been bored out of my mind so I started my only Personal Assistant business.  I work about 15 hours a week for approximately 5 people while my son is in pre-school.  Sometimes I do things at night while he is asleep and every once in a while I will run an errand for someone while he is with me but when I am home, there is no way in hell I'd be able to actually work with him around.  Every ten seconds he has to pee in the potty or wants milk or wants me to play with him.

Also, I only make about $600 a month.  While that is $600 more then we had yesterday, it still isn't nearly as much as I made while working in an office setting.  It is pretty much enough to cover my son's pre-school and our grocery bill.

• I'm a psychotherapist in private practice and health coach.  My maternity leave ends on 2/15/11 and I will work 20 hours a week.  Then in April I will add 10 more hours.  I love the flexibility of my job that allows me to be with DD half the time (her Dad takes her the other half because he has a flexible job as Professor as well).

As an aside, they did a study on who were the happiest moms.  It turns out that moms who worked part-time AND had control over their schedule were happier than SAHMs and moms who worked FT. 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image BabyTime01032012:

I'm a psychotherapist in private practice and health coach.  My maternity leave ends on 2/15/11 and I will work 20 hours a week.  Then in April I will add 10 more hours.  I love the flexibility of my job that allows me to be with DD half the time (her Dad takes her the other half because he has a flexible job as Professor as well).

As an aside, they did a study on who were the happiest moms.  It turns out that moms who worked part-time AND had control over their schedule were happier than SAHMs and moms who worked FT. 

I am not refuting this at but I'd love to read the article.

I feel less in control and more stressed out now!  Do you remember where you read it? 

• I can't remember exactly.  I read so much on parenting, I can't remember where I read what.  I'm sorry.

I do remember the key to the article was that their those who worked part-time their schedules HAD TO FLEXIBLE and the mothers had to have control over it.  Basically, if you can choose when you want to work and get away if you need to with no problems then those moms were happier.  Otherwise, there was no difference than the moms who worked FT. 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic