Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Outer banks pro/cons

P's dad and his uncle/aunt  are thinking about doing a big trip with all of us cousins in July. I'm already an outer banks hater. I just thinking driving to a big house with a pool is not a vacation. 

What besides a beach is there to do. What is the average drive length in late July?

Would it really be fun for me with an 18 month old? 

Re: Outer banks pro/cons

• In general, I feel like OBX is NOT worth it at all.  I just do not see the big deal.  I know people love to have a big gigantic house with a pool, but lachute - you do not strike me as that type of person.

It will depend on where you are located and if you have babysitters,  We stayed in Corolla in the middle of nowhere, there was a dinky playground about a mile away.  If I have a lobotomy and decide to go back, I would stay in Duck.  There were a bunch of cute bars, restaurants and shops, so mr. eagles and I said we would maybe bring MIL and get a house where we could walk to everything.

When we went Sam was 1 and Charlie was 2,5.  Thank goodness we had great weather and that my kids love the beach - otherwise we would have been screwed because there is nothing for little kids to do.  Charlie kept asking where the "boardblock" was :(

We are Team Jersey all the way

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13

• Ugh. This is basically the vibe I feel. There would be people to watch milo and the 2nd cousins but i'd like to be possiblely knocked up in July and this trip just has bummer written all over it of that happened!! 
  • Oh man, if you are there and KU?  All I can say is good luck and God speed sister, that kind of sounds like my personal hell

I drank a lot when I was there.  A lot

Crap, I didn't even think about driving there while KU!  The drive sucks as is, but add in being KU - wow

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • I have never heard a convincing pro for the OBX.  Ever.

"It was so much fun!  We stayed in this great big house with four other couples and all the kids and cooked every night."

Really?  I rather effing die. 

Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • image amy052006:

I have never heard a convincing pro for the OBX.  Ever.

"It was so much fun!  We stayed in this great big house with four other couples and all the kids and cooked every night."

Seriously I started shooting it down ASAP and P was all like but i want to hang out with my family stop being so negative.

I mean no guarantee i would be KU but it is a possibility.  

P also suggested we wouldn't have to stay the whole Saturday-Saturday. So maybe like the weekend there and then going somewhere else could be fun but now it is getting pricey and we are saving for germany 2013 and germany is way more important to me. 

• image amy052006:

Exactly!  I used to hear people rave about the beautiful beach and water.  THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME AS JERSEY!

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Thank god I read this thread... I was feeling guilty for doing a Jersey Shore trip again and considering a family obx trip..... It sounds like a good idea at first but I don't want to cook/be trapped in a house all night. 

• Total opposite of my friends, here. We go every year and I love, love, love it.

It's very different then the Jersey shore. Less crowded for sure. Def less expensive.

Some people would say there's less to do but I disagree. It just depends on what you like to do. The baby had a great time on the beach. We took nice walks every day. Went to a wine festival. Drove up on the 4wd drive beaches and saw the wild horses. Saw lighthouses. Went outlet shopping and went out to eat.

The drive sucks but we've gotten used to it. If you leave early in the morning it will take you about 7-7.5 hours.

Last year our rental house started on Saturday but we left Friday night at the kid's bedtime so she slept the whole way. Spent the night in a hotel and had about a 2 hour drive in the am. The drive home was tough b/c it was during the day and we had to stop a lot for the baby.

Re the drive while pregnant - I did it when I was 7 months. We had to stop a lot to stretch my legs/pee and I wasn't all that comfortable but it was fine. 

I agree with Colleen about staying in Duck. That's probably my favorite area of all the places we've stayed. The houses are nice and there are a lot of places within walking distance. It's a skinny part of the cape so you can get up and watch the sunrise on the beach then walk to the Sound and watch the sunset at night. Corolla is also nice but it is a little farther of a drive.

We always use Sun Realty. Their website is Sunrealtync.com . Good service and lots of properties. Let me know if you have any questions if you decide to go! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image amy052006:

LMAO...my thought exactly ;p

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2iwabh1.jpg[/IMG]
  • The pros and cons only come if you like a beach house vacation.  We have been going down for years.  My in laws actually retired there so while they were building house, we rented big beach houses, and now that they live there we stay at their house a block from beach.  Obviously, the pro for us is a free beach vacation!  The con is the 6-6.5 hour drive.  We always drive down at my sons bedtime.  So if I were renting a house for week I would just get down there at like 1 am Sunday morning and leave the following Friday night around 7.  A few times we have driven 4.5 hours to VA beach area, stayed at motel, then made rest of ride down in morning.

The real pro if you like beach house vacations is you get a much bigger bang for your buck.  You can rent a beachfront house for a LOT less than NJ.  It is less congested for sure, although in summer it does get crazy.  There are tons of great restaurants and there are places you can drive to with mini golf and other kid activities.  There is a cute little aquarium in Manteo- a nice little town to visit.  We always have stayed in Duck and love it. 

Personally, I would rather spend the money and go to the Caribbean for the week.  I hate the drive down there, especially because I always get stuck driving and we go at night so my son can sleep.  But if you like a beach house vacation- I definitely recommend OBX over NJ.

Jack was born on 5.10.10 at 29 weeks.
    My little preemie is doing great and came home on his 7.22.10 due date!

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/b4t64j.jpg[/IMG]
  • I will comment on the KU OBX experience.  We did the trip again this year with a group of our college friends as we have done a few times.  I was like 27 or 28 weeks pregnant at the time.  We left at 3 in the morning and even with stops got to Duck around 10 or 11 I believe.  The drive was really not bad at all.  We made two potty/coffee stops and hit no traffic since it was so early in the morning.  Since the house wasn't ready we went out for lunch and did some grocery shopping.  Honestly I love going down there just to veg out and relax.  We usually spend the days on the beach, late afternoons in the pool and the evenings at the house playing games and drinking (alot).  I will say it wasn't AS FUN being at a house with everyone else drunk and me chugging water and ginger ale as a treat, but I still relaxed.  Granted this summer we were chased out early by Hurricane Irene, so our vacation was sadly cut short.  That being said I am an OBX lover - there is definitely stuff to do if you want to get out and about especially with the baby, but I mainly love going down there because it more quiet and laid back then the Jersey shore.  Good luck making a decision.

• I can not shake the hunch that if you go KU'd, you will get stuck watching kids while people drink.
  • image amy052006:
    I can not shake the hunch that if you go KU'd, you will get stuck watching kids while people drink.

Haha and being the Des driver. Dude I mean it would be a slim chance I'd be knocked up. But what if.

Also I should say p's dad and fi are drinkers like I don't know if they would actually watch the kids which is fine it's vacation for them.  

• image amy052006:
    I can not shake the hunch that if you go KU'd, you will get stuck watching kids while people drink.

This is true, no matter where you go on vacation.

If you're ku, you're just as pregnant at the Jersey Shore as you are in OBX. 

• image larrysdarling:

image amy052006:

Yeah, but the selling point for OBX always seems to be "you go in a group to this big house" or "it is so much cheaper if you go in a group to a big house".

It is the whole 20 people vacationing together thing that everyone loves about OBX.  At the shore, I can just get a normal sized house with my own kid. 

• image larrysdarling:

image amy052006:

SO TRUE. i was ku in RI at his cousins wedding and it sucked, because all there was to do was drink and i was sober. that's kind of how i feel about obx all there is to do is drink. i know that isn't true but that's how obx is described to me.  

• image amy052006:
    image larrysdarling:

image amy052006:

Yeah, but the selling point for OBX always seems to be "you go in a group to this big house" or "it is so much cheaper if you go in a group to a big house".

It is the whole 20 people vacationing together thing that everyone loves about OBX.  At the shore, I can just get a normal sized house with my own kid. 

I suppose a lot of people do that, but out of the 6 times we've gone we went with another couple only once. Coming from living in a tiny condo, I'm perfectly happy in a 3 story, 5 bedroom house with just myself, my husband, kid, and dog. 

I like it b/c I can get myself a big asss cheap free standing house with a pool and hot tub that is not attached to another unit filled with 10  20something's looking for a place to booze that is right across the street from a super nice, natural beach not swarming with fellow Jersey-ites.

ETA: For an example, here's the house we stayed in last year. http://www.sunrealtync.com/house/whl-86 

We went with one other couple. We each had our own floor, could hear/see the ocean from the house, and had a private pool/hot tub.  Now we went in September so it was def less expensive then in the high season, but it was $1500 for the whole house.

• I love OBX.  We went a few summers during my teen years with a bunch of my cousins.  We had so much fun.  The community we stayed in had events planned, and we did those (bonfires and such), plus we sometimes did extra.  We always went to some historical place nearby, outlet shopping, mini golf, etc.  We spent many days just lying poolside or hanging on the beach.  My parents always said that place was the epitome of a vacation.   Not a ton to do, so you actually get to relax and enjoy.  When we went, each family got their own house on the same block.  We took turns with dinners, the adults went out for a kids-free dinner one night, and we went out as a group once or twice.

We go to Brigantine for a week every summer with my inlaws (MIL lives there) and the week pretty much looks the same as the trips I went on with my fam to OBX...and we all love it.  We have been talking about doing an OBX trip one year just to change up the scenery a bit.