June 2008 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

**Trickey - Zumba**

I am contemplating my first class tonight (if not tonight, next week).  Talk to me about what to expect.  I'd much rather be going with a friend but it is what it is. 

Is it like all dancing?  Do you have to get on the floor ever (think doing sit-ups, etc).  Are there lots of squats and lunges like in aerobics (I actually used to really like a total-body conditioning class but had to stop going b/c of the squats/lunges and my arthritic knees).  How much of an asshat am I going to look like?  I am fairly sedentary, am I going to die?  Last, how long until this very white white girl will learn the moves?  :)

Re: **Trickey - Zumba**

• Wanted to say, if you are looking for a weekend workout and time with Jane, you could also check out stroller strides. The instructor I work with actually tailors to everyone's ability. 

And if you go, let us know! It is something I would possibly consider. I find I go to things if I actually pay and will loose out money.. 

GO TRY IT OUT!!! At least for a chance to get out of the house and listen to some dancing music! 

• Thanks Morrigan.  The Stroller Strides that serves my immediate area is closed - looking to sell the franchise, actually.  LOL.  It only met on weekdays anyway (most Moms here are SAH).  There are some further away that meet on Sat but it's too far.  Ah well, can't imagine Jane would sit for it anyway :)
  • I can not wait to get back to Zumba!! I'll be honest, you will feel lost in the first class, but it is so much fun. The songs dont all change from class to class, so you will be able to pick it up. There are no lunges/sit ups/etc. you can go at your own pace too. You can find videos on you tube of classes. 
    DSC_0768
    Claire Elizabeth 12/31/2011
    Married Bio
  • image naylon511:
    Thanks Morrigan.  The Stroller Strides that serves my immediate area is closed - looking to sell the franchise, actually.  LOL.  It only met on weekdays anyway (most Moms here are SAH).  There are some further away that meet on Sat but it's too far.  Ah well, can't imagine Jane would sit for it anyway :)

Blah. Yeah I am having issues with Evie sitting still too. We have a class at one place where we have a room and let the kids run around and play while we do our thing, then after they get to play in the indoor gym. Sometimes I get to work out while holding her - nothing like doing squats while holding a 20 lb kid. Same with reverse planks :) 

• I took a Zumba class and had a blast.  Spent the whole class laughing at myself and it was great. There are a few basic steps that are incorporated into every song, so you'll pick those up first.  Then different songs have routines, but it takes some time to catch on to those-I end up just moving/laughing/dancing, etc. until you've gone a few times and done the same song over again. 

It was just a really fun hour with fun women (I didn't know anyone and by the end, we were all laughing and joking around).  I think the key is a great instructor who facilitates that too.

image image
  • Zumba is so fun! I would go all the time if DH didn't work nights. There were some songs where I was fairly certain I would die, but obviously I survived. We also had a song that was quite squatty and the instructor let everyone know to do what they could, and just keep moving for the rest. She showed us different ways to modify movements if needed. If you like to dance, I think you'll like it. 
  • image Cory's Wife:
    squatty

huh huh.  squatty.

image Cory's Wife:
    If you like to dance, I think you'll like it. 

I do.  I LOVE to dance.  Only, in private, with no mirrors, and preferably a LOT of booze.   So, we'll see.  Jim is making sure he's home in time for me to go.  Oh dear God, what have I gotten myself into.  What am I going to wear?! :)

• image naylon511:

image Cory's Wife:
    squatty

huh huh.  squatty.

image Cory's Wife:
    If you like to dance, I think you'll like it. 

I do.  I LOVE to dance.  Only, in private, with no mirrors, and preferably a LOT of booze.   So, we'll see.  Jim is making sure he's home in time for me to go.  Oh dear God, what have I gotten myself into.  What am I going to wear?! :)

Wear a really long shirt. That was my one thing I was uncomfortable with during class. Everyone we were reaching up I kept flashing my stretch marks. So maybe I nice tight extra long tank under your normal workout gear.  

• Yes, you will look like an idiot, but no one else will notice because you're so busy. I've been going since August and still end up laughing at myself! A couple/3 classes is all it takes to learn some of the moves. If you get to a point where you can't dance anymore, just walk in place. Depending on the instructor, there are some lunges/squats involved; our instructors always say to just keep moving if you can't do some of the moves. No, you won't be on the floor for any reason. I'm like a 2x4 when it comes to moving my hips but eventually have gotten the hang of it :) Go! You'll enjoy it!!!