Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Some dumb kid questions

1; Is it ok to buy a used infant car seat? I have been offered a car seat and click and go stroller frame. The car seat is a Gracco Snugrider infant car seat. 3 years old, used twice for 10 months each. No accidents. Any thoughts?

2; What is a pack and play for? Are they useful, or is it one of those things you buy and then rarely use?

3; Swaddling. Good or bad? I've heard them described as baby straight jackets, and other people say their babies love them.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Some dumb kid questions

• If you knew the person the carseat came from yes. If you do not know them personally then no way. 

We use the pack and play a lot right now because we are in renovating state in our home. So In a room with touchable light sockets we like having it up. Also we can work in one Room while he is asleep in another. Otherwise it was useless to us. I never had an issue walking up the stairs to do a diaper change etc. even when he was little. 

We swaddled a little at the start of we had a summe baby I'd probably would have skipped it personally.  

• 1. I have no thoughts on this.

2. I used the pack and play's bassinet insert to have the baby sleep in my room with me for the first few weeks so I wasn't always running to another room. I also used it when we spent the night at my mom's and when we went away for the weekend. Other than that, it remains folded up in the basement. It is good if you think you'll be sleeping away and bringing the baby.

3. My baby wasn't swaddled for the first 6 weeks of his life. I watched the DVD for the Happiest Baby on the Block and he recommends swaddling to calm a baby... started swaddling after that and it was such a dramatic increase in the length of time he'd sleep during the night.... so dramatic that I'm pretty sure it was not just due to his aging. I'm not looking forward to weaning him off of it,  but it's been a huge help to us.

Hope this helps!

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/dctxu1.jpg[/IMG]
  • Not dumb questions at all.

1.  If you personally know the person and know for sure no accidents, I see no reason to not get the carseat.  Carseat life is 5 years or 6...forget which.  So you should be fine, but it would be done after you.  I would never buy a used carseat from someone I didn't know.  Double check the expiration date on it.  

2.  When E was first born we used it extensively.  I used the changing table and the newborn napper for her to use when she was napping downstairs.  After that I folded it up and it's in the basement for use when we go away.  I never understood using it for kids to play in...although I understand in Lachutes case.  

3. E loved being swaddled but not all kids do.  She responded better to just being swaddled in a regular receiving blanket than using something like a swaddleme.  We ended up returning swaddlemes and got Sleepsacks for when she was done being swaddled.   

• 1. Like Lachute said, if it's a friend then yes, otherwise no.

2. I have a Joovy playpen.  I was not concerned about needing a second place for the baby to sleep or change, I wanted a place for him to play where I knew he was safe if I had to leave the room.  Once he was able to sit up I used the play pen for short bouts of time to get Him used to it and then he loved being in there by himself and would keep himself busy with his toys.  This gave me time to cook dinner, fold laundry, even take a quick jump in the shower.  For me, that sucker was priceless because I am home alone with Tommy all day and sometimes you just need a break to get something done.

3.  I don't think it's really an issue of being good or bad but some babies just don't like it.  For other babies, it's a life saver.  I would invest in the Aden & Anais swaddle blankets.  Even if your baby doesn't like swaddling they are still awesome blankets.  Really light and breathable.  They're also big so it's easier to get the swaddling down when you're perfecting your wrap in the beginning. 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Three years, for me, might be pushing it with an infant car seat.  Check it -- it should be stamped with an "expiration date".  Generally, it should be five years from the born on date.  

We definitely used our pack n play.  Until he was about a year, it was on our first floor, but we could have packed it up soon.  But in the very beginning, it was essentially our baby care station on the first floor.  Diaper, wipes, onesies, outfits, whatever.  Now it is packed away, but we do use it when we stay over night with friends, or travel.

We swaddled with halo sleepsacks.  I found them to crucial. On this topic, I highly recommend Karp's "Happiest Baby on the Block."  The DVD is more helpful than the book, but Pennsylvania offers a great class too.  It really helped me "get" swaddling and why it works. 

Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • Ditto Happiest Baby on the Block and A&A Swaddle Blankets.  I especially love the blankets.  We still use them sometimes, since they are so big.  Although A&A blankets may already be on a certain friend's gift list for you. ;-)
  • 1. I probably wouldn't take the carseat but that's just me, definitely the stroller though

2. We didn't use it as a bassinet during the day since we had a cradle but had we not I would have had them sleep in it as a newborn. Now that she is mobile I use it to contain her while I cook or need to regroup. We also use it every weekend for her to sleep at our shore house

3. I think this depends on the kid, jd loved it Anna hated it. Try and see if it works I recommend the Aden and anis blankets over the swaddled me things 

David John 4.19.01
    Jonathan Dean 4.5.08
    Anna Capri 5.4.11
  • image Kimbatron:

. I'm not looking forward to weaning him off of it,  but it's been a huge help to us.

When you are ready, try one arm out.  We would do that, and if he woke up overnight, we would swaddle both back in.  Eventually that led to us swaddling both arms out, and very soon thereafter, just a sleep sack.

Our kid sleeps in what is essential a crib found in a third world orphanage -- no bumper, one fitted sheet, sleep sack.  We did over time add one lovely, and a board book.  But he was much, much older. 

• image amy052006:
    image Kimbatron:

. I'm not looking forward to weaning him off of it,  but it's been a huge help to us.

When you are ready, try one arm out.  We would do that, and if he woke up overnight, we would swaddle both back in.  Eventually that led to us swaddling both arms out, and very soon thereafter, just a sleep sack.

Our kid sleeps in what is essential a crib found in a third world orphanage -- no bumper, one fitted sheet, sleep sack.  We did over time add one lovely, and a board book.  But he was much, much older. 

Thank you - I will try this approach. How will I know when he's ready to stop being swaddled? Ha - I have the mesh crib bumper and just a crib sheet with the Halo Swaddleme sleep sack thing. It does look pretty barren.

• we had a used infant seat, got it from someone we know and trust. It is now going to be returned to BRU this weekend for 25% off of something that we likely don't need or want.  I wonder if I can donate that coupon?  (anyone know?  the stuff  you can use the coupon for is all newborn stuff, I think. unless i am mistaken)

pack and play - great for traveling.  but traveling by car. I wouldn't fly with this thing. and we used it downstairs for about 2 months maybe more.  she would nap in it and it was good for changing since I could't get down on the floor w her.

swaddling.  Ditto on the Happiest baby DVD.  We used Summer Infant swaddles.  Francey loved them. So did I .

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/mjodh1.jpg[/IMG] Hi Francey!
  •  1. Personally, I wouldn't take it but like Kell said, that's just me. I don't do well with hand-me-downs, though. (Severe only child syndrome.)

2. We use the P&P daily. We have it in our living room and I love it because I can put her in it while I'm cleaning down stairs, making dinner (which is in the same room), and doing other odds and ends. She loves that thing and I just throw a bunch of toys in there and she'll play in there until we take her out. We also used the changing 'table' and the bassinet because it saved trips running up and down the steps for changings. I only used the bassinet when she was a newborn and let her sleep while I was making dinner or while we were watching TV. For the night, I used the RnP sleeper for the first couple months.

3. I was a little nervous about the SwaddleMe swaddles at first but my daughter loved them and slept through the night no problem. She's 8 months now and we've started to break the swaddle. Most people don't swaddle that long but it's a whatever works for you type thing, as is most of this baby stuff. She still to this day loves it and if she has her arms out, she will stir a bit. With the SwaddleMe, she sleeps 10-12 hours a night consistantly. I love that thing.

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt116b04.aspx[/img][/url]
  •  1. Yes to the stroller frame. I hesitate about a used car seat. Check the expiration date. Unless their giving it to you for free, which it doesn't sound like, I'd rather buy one new.

2. Given we're in a single family house, I used the PnP on the first floor nearly daily for several months for daytime naps and changing. Now it's used for sleepovers at grandparents and friends and beach vacation. Very useful and worth it.

3. Read Happiest Baby on the Block. It seems very necessary for those first couple of weeks. Some babies then become more upset when they're swaddled and others need it to relax. You should learn how to do it and then follow your baby's lead from there.

• image LandD052006:
    Ditto Happiest Baby on the Block and A&A Swaddle Blankets.  I especially love the blankets.  We still use them sometimes, since they are so big.

You've already gotten good feedback but let me be the umpteenth person to tritto above and like Kimbatron said, after watching the DVD, our lives changed dramatically.

I have a lot of Halo and Summer Infant sleep sacs to return; my kid broke free of these swaddles so we went old school like they teach you in the hospital with the A&A blankets. 

• Thanks for the info - really appreciated. 

I think we'll go for the pack and play - I have absolutely no problem with hand-me-downs at all, but not if there is a safety issue.

The car seat is probably an expense we should just suck up even if they're only in the infant one for a short time. I'll ask about the expiry date but it's $40 instead of about $189 which is tempting for the infant one - but probably not worth the risk. 

Will the snap and go work with any car seat or do certain car seats fit certain snap and goes?

Will definitely watch that DVD - sounds like it's been really helpful to a lot of people. Thanks for the tip.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image nomoreboozeforme:

Thanks for the info - really appreciated. 

I think we'll go for the pack and play - I have absolutely no problem with hand-me-downs at all, but not if there is a safety issue.

The car seat is probably an expense we should just suck up even if they're only in the infant one for a short time. I'll ask about the expiry date but it's $40 instead of about $189 which is tempting for the infant one - but probably not worth the risk. 

Will the snap and go work with any car seat or do certain car seats fit certain snap and goes?

Will definitely watch that DVD - sounds like it's been really helpful to a lot of people. Thanks for the tip.  

Along the lines of the car seat, depending on the brand you go with, go to Buy Buy baby in Cherry HIll.  You can use the 20% off Bed Bath and Beyond coupons.  I know they work for Graco. 

• If you want to buy a new car seat, what about the convertible ones? I was looking at some this morning that start at 5 pounds and go rear-facing, but then become front-facing when your child is older and the ones I glanced at held 55-70 pounds (depending on the model). Since you mentioned that they are only in the infant seat for a short time, I thought maybe you'd want to check that out. They seemed like they were around the same price point as infant seats.

I don't have one - have Graco Snugride 35 - so honestly I can't tell you anything else about convertible car seats or attest to their potential awesomeness.

• Swaddling saved our sanity and sleep.

Also, not sure if anyone recommended the F&P Rock and Play sleeper but it was the best.thing.ever. for the first 3-4 months. She slept in it in our room for the first few months. The baby sleeps on an incline which can help if they have reflux or if you're worried about them puking while sleeping.

It's also easy to move - which is key after you give birth, esp if you have a csection. I'd drag that sucker into the bathroom every day and she slept while I took a shower. I never went one day without a shower when I was home on mat leave. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I personally would not skip the infant seat and go right to the convertible.  Newborns sleep, a lot.  And they sleep in their car seat.  The last thing you want to do when an infant is asleep is wake them up, and that's exactly what you have to do if they are in a convertible you have to take out.  I can't tell you how many times I thanked my lucky stars that I had the infant seat and I could let her keep sleeping.  You can use a 20% off coupon at either BRU or Buy Buy Baby to help with the cost.

Not sure about snap n gos.  There is a graco one that only fits graco.  I think the baby trend one fits other brands too.  Not sure, I had the graco one and a graco carseat.  

Emma actually still uses her infant carseat as our second carseat in dh's car.  If you get the larger one, we have the Snugride 35, they can often be used for at least a year.  

I also love love love the FP Rock n Play.  I have ours in my basement that you could borrow if you'd rather not buy one.  However it's not super expensive, I wanna say like $50.  Worth every penny.  Emma slept in it every night after we bought it until she moved into her room at like 5-6 months.   

• image LandD052006:

I also love love love the FP Rock n Play.  I have ours in my basement that you could borrow if you'd rather not buy one.  However it's not super expensive, I wanna say like $50.  Worth every penny.  Emma slept in it every night after we bought it until she moved into her room at like 5-6 months.   

Thanks - that sounds great!!

BabyFruit Ticker