Buying A Home
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Who is your homeowners insurance from?

Our mortgage broker wants us to get a quote from the company we have our car insurance though (Geico) and also a couple others.  I'm not sure who else to look into. 

Re: Who is your homeowners insurance from?

• We have Traveler's.  There are insurance brokers which basically do the same thing mortgage brokers do, but with insurance companies instead of banks.  We used an insurance broker and Traveler's had the best price, so went with them.  They paid for us to get a new roof, garage doors, and a couple of windows after a hail storm with no issues.

• The area of the country you live in will determine where you can get the best deal. We used to have Travelers when we lived in DC. Now we have Allied in Chicago.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Check with your auto insurance company first.  We have USAA and (in addition to having great coverage) for every "product" we have, we get additional discounts. 
    Crafts for Lily
    My Valentine Bookends (2~13~13, 2~15~09)
  • We have everything (car, homeowners, and life) through State Farm.  We get a discount on our car and homeowners for having everything bundled.
  • New York Central Mutual, via a local independent agent.

They came in way cheaper than Travelers.  Like 60% of Travelers' premium, for better coverage.

• We use Liberty Mutual for everything (car, home, life). No complaints about any of it.
  • Allstate. We have our auto policies through them.

I've been very happy with their auto coverage (have never had to file a home insurance claim) and we get a discount for doing both. 

Our homeowner's insurance is out for by our lender. Our total mortgage bill each month includes 1/12 of our annual home insurance policy. Our lender puts it into an escrow account, from which our property taxes are also paid, and takes care of it for us each August when it comes due.

• Mercury, for cars and home. It was surprisingly difficult to find coverage in California! We also included the home owners insurance in our impound account. 
    [IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/ab19id.jpg[/IMG]