Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Healthy Cooking?!

I am having a hard time coming up with dinners to make for the hubs & I for dinner.  I recently lost 100 pounds, but have probably put on 15 lbs since our Wedding in October.  My hubby is a farmer and doesn't usually eat lunch, so I feel like when he gets home at night, I need to make him a big dinner, because he has been working hard all day.  BUT I can't seem to find simple, low calorie recipes to make.  He LOVES beef, but the recipes I have found are for chicken.  I know there are a lot of websites with healthy recipes, but so many of them use ingredients that I don't usually keep on hand.  Anyone know of any good recipes or websites?  Thanks!

Re: Healthy Cooking?!

• I think you're going to have to be a little more specific here.

Also, you can go to cookinglight.com and type in ingredients that you want to use, and the search will return recipes with those ingredients.

• You're probably better off building a recipe collection from those healthy websites and changing what you keep on hand to be able to prepare those recipes.
  • I grew up on a farm and my family still farms so I know what you mean...he's probably a "meat and potatoes" type of guy, right?  My hubby is that way BIG time!  He's not picky, but he much prefers good ol' hearty food.  I use a lot of recipes from kraft...they use real ingredients and give the nutritional content.  Plus most of them offer reasonable substitutions to make them a bit healthier.  I try to find recipes that might be a little "sneaky" with vegetables and healthier versions of what I know he likes.  Like if I'm looking for a healthy beef stew, I'll google "healthy beef stew recipe." 

Congrats on the 100lbs, though!!

Mama to
    Caden Reese - 8/1/06
    Mackenzie Jo - 10/9/09
  • I have put together a binder with a few recipes that I have tried that both of us enjoyed.  I like recipes that I can put together in minimal time, and I especially like crock-pot recipes.  
  • You are right on with the meat & potatoes!  I have introduced him to new foods (like salmon) and he actually liked it.  Well, he said he did, anyways.  I told him he has to be honest with me, though, because if he tells me he likes something, I'm going to continue making it!  What would we do without google?!  

Thanks!  :-) 

• Do you pay attention to portion sizes?  There are plenty of things you can make that are healthy, but if your H is working hard and not eating lunch, he could easily need to eat twice as much as you.

[IMG]http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/mmootd/olivertwist.jpg[/IMG]

Little Bridey Twist, begging for a bowl of Chobani. Just like in the orphanages of yore.
  • ditto the pp about finding healthy recipes you like, then stocking your pantry accordingly. 

when dh and I first started cleaning up our act, it took effort and planning. had to sit down with a 'healthy' cookbook, flag recipes that looked good and then make a menu and shopping list for the week...bc if i didn't, inevitably it'd get to be dinner time, there'd be no plan, and we'd eat crap. after several months, it got easier--we had several "go-to" recipes and a pantry full of healthy options and sides. but half the battle of healthy eating is the planning, so don't get discouraged and stick with it. you'll be soooo glad you did :-)

BabyFruit Ticker