D.C. Area Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

How much to tip cleaning ladies?

I have a team of usually 3 ladies who come in every other week to clean my house.  Their fee is normally $110.  How much should I tip them?  Thanks!

Re: How much to tip cleaning ladies?

• I don't know if it matters, but they are done in 1 hour.

• I usually give them $100, but I think DH said he left them $60 this year.
    imageimageimage
  • You're talking about a holiday bonus, is that right? That's how I'm reading it, because if I'm supposed to tip our every time she comes, she's probably pretty pissed at us. Wink

We give her the same amount we give her for a normal cleaning as a tip (so, we pay $115 to the company every other week, we give her an extra $115 in her name at the holidays).

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers"
  • We also do not tip each time.  We get cleanings every week, so for the holiday bonus, we gave an extra check for the same amount as the cost for the week. 
  • we used to tip at each service time plus a holiday bonus when our service was a company. but now that we use an individual (who brings a few people with her), we just pay the agreed amount and twice that for the last cleaning of the year. 
    [color=purple]Wife ? 9/18/04<BR>Mommy ? DS - 2006 (C/S) & DD - 2010 (HWBAC)<BR>Wellness Provider ? Birth Doula - Hypnotherapist - HypnoBirthing - Reiki Master/Teacher[/color]<BR><BR><a href=http://naturalbirthfaq.wordpress.com/ target="blank">Natural/Unmedicated Childbirth FAQs</a>
  • Is it a service, or do they essentially work for themselves?  If they work for themselves, I'd be less inclined to tip b/c they should be seeing more of that money themselves. 

After reading Nickeled and Dimed, I use a service (because of the tax implications if you don't), but I also tip (admittedly a lot) each time.  I tip $30 on a $90 cleaning.  Sometimes there are 2 women and sometimes 3, but I don't change the tip amount.  I hope that they are getting $10 or $15 each from my check.  I've been thinking about doing the tip in cash, because I'm somewhat worried they aren;t seeing the tip. 

• Like others, we give a holiday bonus the same amount as the biweekly cleaning.
  • We didn't do the same amount as the be-weekly cleaning this year.  My lady is going to be mad at me.  We are just so stretched right now.  But that is what I would have done if I could afford it.  Do you have a service or a person?  I have a person who brings a few other ladies.  (I think she is becoming a Nestie celebrity Stick out tongue)
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Thanks, everyone!  Yes, I was asking about holiday tipping, and I just doubled the regular fee. 
  • imageArtslvr:
    We didn't do the same amount as the be-weekly cleaning this year.  My lady is going to be mad at me.  We are just so stretched right now.  But that is what I would have done if I could afford it.  Do you have a service or a person?  I have a person who brings a few other ladies.  (I think she is becoming a Nestie celebrity Stick out tongue)

Aw, you drive so much business her way, you should be getting a referral bonus.  :)