Houston Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Is anyone else gluten-free?

I started following strict gluten-free standards about 3 months ago. I started having funky symptoms (hives, swollen fingers) in June but tried to ignore it until I just couldn't ignore it any longer.

I can tell almost immediately when some gluten has snuck in b/c I get hives on my wrist or my finger tips/toes swell for a few hours.

I've known for years that I'm gluten intolerant (blood test and upper GI scope) but seriously...I want a burger with a bun right now.

All of these Living Social posts a/b the McDonald's Big Mac and Fries deal is making me crazy.

Re: Is anyone else gluten-free?

• Halfpint is.  I believe she's been gluten-free for a year.  Someone else on the board is too, but I can't remember who it was. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • My DH is for the most part but he will occasionally suffer the consequences to enjoy pizza or a "real" sandwich....since he has yet to find a satisfying gluten free substitute for either. He wasn't diagnosed as a celiac, just gluten-sensitive so the consequences for gluten exposure aren't as life threatening for him but still not pleasant...

• kbtoreador is gluten free.  She has a food blog as well, so if you need some ideas:

http://kristakooks.blogspot.com/

• I have a few friends with gluten allergies or Celiac. 

Per one of my GF friends, Kinninnick makes a pretty good frozen bun. She usually throws it in the microwave for 15 or 20 seconds to thaw it out a little bit. And then she grabs a piece of foil, spritzes the foil with water and then places the bun on the foil and seals it loosely. Pop it into a hot oven for maybe 10 or 15 minutes and the bread will be perfect.

Here are some recommended cook books: You Won't Believe It's Gluten-Free! by Roben Ryberg and Incredible Edible Gluten-Free Food for Kids by Sheri L. Sanderson

• image Nanner:

kbtoreador is gluten free.  She has a food blog as well, so if you need some ideas:

http://kristakooks.blogspot.com/

that's right!  I am :)  i'm totally proud of it, too.  i understand OP has symptoms, but do you have other symptoms than the one you listed? my symptoms were so vast and painful, i don't see delicious when i look at glutenful food.  i see pain and agony, thus i never desire those foods.

Krista Kooks
    imageimage Anniversary image Learning to live gluten-free and doing really good at it! ;)
  • Oooh such good info! Thanks for sharing all :)

kbt--yes, major digestive symptoms (which is why I had the upper GI series and colonoscopy). Ugh. Usually I don't see yummy and delicious either b/c it's not worth the 3 days of pain afterward but yesterday was one of those days I was feeling crazy. Fortunately DH brought home Pho for dinner and all was right with me after that :)

• image 05_bride:

My DH is for the most part but he will occasionally suffer the consequences to enjoy pizza or a "real" sandwich....since he has yet to find a satisfying gluten free substitute for either. He wasn't diagnosed as a celiac, just gluten-sensitive so the consequences for gluten exposure aren't as life threatening for him but still not pleasant...

If you want to make pizzas at home, my GF friends have had good luck with taste with this GF pizza crust - ordering from http://www.stillridingpizza.com/At-Home.aspx

• Further to the pizza comment, I have had great luck with Conte's pizza crusts that I have found at some HEB's in town.

For sandwiches, my favorite bread is that which Jason's uses.  It's Udi's whole grain bread.  If he eats sandwiches a lot, it's better to buy the loaf from Jason's than a grocery store.  The loaves in the store are smaller than those that Udi's produces for Jason's. 

Krista Kooks
    imageimage Anniversary image Learning to live gluten-free and doing really good at it! ;)