International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Clementines at Christmas

Does your country (home or adopted) do clementines as a Christmas food?

I had never heard of such a thing in the U.S..  And now every Christmas I eat my weight in them in the month of December.

Lurve clementines at Christmas! 

Re: Clementines at Christmas

• I. Live. In. Spain.

Tomaaaaaaaaaaaa! (As they would say here). The clementines make the financial crisis worth it! Wink DH and I should tally the amount we spend on clementines (and the weight) each year, starting in October and probably going until March.

• love me some clementines! I have been chowing them down for the past two days. We ate them in TX in the winter as well though
  • Actually yes, and I LOVE them!
  • I should make clear I had heard of clementines growing up in the U.S.  Just not the idea of them as a special Christmas food.
  • My father-in-law grows clementines and oranges in southern Italy. Their country house is right on the orchard. DH refuses to eat anything but these ones.

Cape Town, South Africa
    Anniversary
  • They make me very happy! I look forward to them every year. 
  • They were special Christmas food when I was growing up. I also remember from The Little House on the Prarie books (shut up) that their big Christmas treat and the only gift they really got was an orange.
  • image Publius:
    They were special Christmas food when I was growing up. I also remember from The Little House on the Prarie books (shut up) that their big Christmas treat and the only gift they really got was an orange.

I got my hands on some "questionable" sources for the digital version of the Little House books just before last Christmas. I love that series. I'm on the waiting list for the digital copy of a book a women wrote recently about following the trails Laura's family went on.

I always got a box for St. Nicks. Last year we would eat tons. I haven't got any yet because i haven't really seen them on sale. 

36/366 No Fear --- Finishing Project 366
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Allison has read 10 books toward her goal of 30 books.
    hide

Now Nesting from Chicago, IL My nail blog:
  • I grew up in a place where there were very few Christians around (hence Christmas is not celebrated), so I can't really answer your question.

But DH grew up in the Soviet Union, and he said clementines were typical "new year present" when he was a kid (as they apparently didn't celebrate Christmas either).

• There are getting popular in the US. I love them. For me they are definitely a Xmas food. So good, low calorie and easy to bring along for a snack.
  • We didn't have them growing up, but I didn't like oranges then, either. In Germany they're really popular as an Advent food. DH always gets clementines and nuts for Advent Sunday afternoons and evenings. I find it really depends on the bunch. Sometimes they're so good I could eat the whole bag at once, and sometimes I'll eat one out of the bag and leave the rest to him. But yeah, Christmas food, definitely.
    [IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/124ygoz.jpg[/IMG]

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP

BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d

BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a75f6">BFP Chart</a>
  • I never thought of them as a Christmas food, but definitely something to make winter a bit brighter! Love clementines, like a healthy candy!
  • We always had them in our stocking with nuts and candy and gifts.  But I could eat clemintines throughout the year.
    Photobucket
  • Italy (at least southern) is mad for the xmas clementines.  AND as a bonus I just (after living here for 2+yrs) noticed we actually have a clementine tree!!!

I used 'em in the gluhwein I made 2wks ago for a (pre) Thanksgiving party.