Relationships
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

SB (and anyone else that knows paint)

You are a paint guru, right?  Can you give me some faves?  (colors, manufacturers)

I need some warm neutrals for the living room and dining room (same color) and an entry way (darker version of LR/DR).  halp.

Re: SB (and anyone else that knows paint)

• I wanna see pics of your new house, yo!
    I bet her FUPA's name is Shane, like the gunslinger/drifter of literature.--HappyTummy
  • Not SB, but I am a paint snob...when I have money.

When I am feeling spendy, I love Sherwin Williams.  Nice colors, good coverage. 

However, I am now poor, so I have been doing the Lowes brand (I think Valspar).  I have still been using my SW color wheel to pick out colors at Lowes and have been able to find the right match.  I get the Valspar that claims to have the primer added.  I have been pleased with the final product.

In terms of the paint smell, if that is a concern for you, go SW.  I can't smell it the next day, while with Valspar, I can smell it a week later.

I can't help with colors.  I had every intention to go with a more neutral palate in our living room, but ended up with almost baby blue.  I suck at subtle.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • She'll make you buy the expensive Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore stuff!  And only in gray!

(I thought this was going to be a question about MS Paint)

"That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • Dude its a sight.  I'll give ya some before pics of the horrific wallpaper i'm still f-in removing.

HOLD.

• Why?  How?  WTF were people thinking when they put wallpaper like that up? 

You have my sympathies for having to remove all of that.

• If it makes you feel any better...the house we may be getting has the entire basement covered in fake wood paneling...and when i say entire, i mean the walls, ceiling, and yes even floor in the closets.

as for painting...the BEST thing for coverage and getting the best out of your paint is primer. Especially since you have wallpaper and the walls may not be painted underneath. The primer will keep the color from sinking into the walls and needed more than the necessary coats.

• Almost every room has some form of wallpaper or border.  One room is Mickey Mouse themed with wallpaper and a MM ceiling fan!  (twanwetdream)
  • I am a total paint snob!  Yay for a new house!  I hope you're having fun with it.

For walls, hands down my favorite for the money is Sherwin Williams Duration Home Interior.  It has zero smell, it has insane coverage, and the matte finish is a really great look but still cleanable.  Don't believe the calculation they use for coverage.  I calculated that I would need like 7 gallons for my living/dining/staircase/hallway and I only ended up using two.  Two!  And that was for two coats.

It's somewhere around $40 a gallon, but if you can wait for a 40% off sale it's comparable to normal paint.  And you save money because you use less.

Warm neutrals aren't really my thing, and I don't know nearly as many of them like I do cool tones.  But there are a few that I love.

I don't know how dark you're willing to go, but Sherwin Williams Artifact is a gorgeous color.  I've seen it several times in person and it really goes with everything, but it's not a boring neutral.  This is artifact above the board and batten.  I picked it for my mom's dining room as well and it's a bit richer in there.

For your LR/DR, I would suggest SW Burlap.  It's really a perfect neutral.  Just enough green to be interesting, but it goes with absolutely everything.  It looks a little dark on the swatch, but I've seen a few houses that were in almost entirely that color and they looked awesome.  If you're really afraid to go that dark, Harmonic Tan is also great.  I've seen it in person and it's lovely and still has the matching power of burlap, it's just not as intense.

Another favorite is BM Smokey Taupe, but it can skew a little pink.  SW Kilim Beige is a beige with like zero undertones, if you just want a neutral backdrop.

If you're a little more specific in what you're looking for as far as undertones and how light or dark, I can probably give more suggestions.

we all fall down sometimes
    brass and ballet flats
  • image died4meatspin:

HEL-LO DYNASTY!

Ooooo, fancy.  I would have made the previous owners get rid of the wallpaper as part of the deal.  There is no way to properly express how much I loathe wallpaper.

"That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • Oh cripes, you have to remove wallpaper?

My advice is now to hire someone to do it.  I hate removing wallpaper with every cell.  Some moran in our house put wallpaper directly onto bare drywall.  You better hope that didn't happen here.

brass and ballet flats
  • image EssBe:

IIt's somewhere around $40 a gallon, but if you can wait for a 40% off sale it's comparable to normal paint.  And you save money because you use less.

Um, what the what?  I am pretty sure I got that same product and it was more like $60.  Did I get hosed?  Do they charge differently in different regions?  I don't actually expect you to answer this.  I just know that when I leave SW, I am always, always, over $100 for one or two gallons of paint and a few supplies.

• ooo...nice SB...BB..daily trip to Lowe's....
  • I might be wrong Vinny, but I think the matte is between $40 and $45.  It's actually been a long time since I bought paint and I never pay full price.  The satin and semi-gloss would cost more, and then the exterior would be the most expensive.

Oh and expee, if you're doing trim then I like SW ProClassic Latex Enamel.  It's much easier to use than an oil and really great coverage.  Also, I think brush quality and roller quality may be more important than paint (I'm a purdy loyalist).

brass and ballet flats
  • It's...breathtaking! A vision!

Im sad to say it took my mom until like 2000 to get over her love of wallpaper. The last house I lived with them had wallpaper in every room. And the front hallway.  

I bet her FUPA's name is Shane, like the gunslinger/drifter of literature.--HappyTummy
  • I love Sherwin Williams paint and it's well worth the money.  You may check out Perfect Greige.  It's more beige than grey, warm and neutral.  I painted my whole house this until I can decide what colors I want.
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/24v339h.jpg[/IMG]
  • the only only time my H and I ever actually yelled at each other was while removing wallpaper.  I'm glad there isn't any left in our house.  I'm getting ready to paint our bathroom, it's fairly small, any suggestions?
    [IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/fc6xeb.jpg[/IMG]
  • It was glued right to the drywall, SB! For 22 years!  Its off and I'm not divorced so I guess thats a success.

I like artifact.  Can I have them matched the color to a nother paint brand?  Or is it not the same?

• Oh geez. That's breathtaking. And I used SW in my house and loved it. 
  • image died4meatspin:

I like artifact.  Can I have them matched the color to a nother paint brand?  Or is it not the same?

No, you can have them matched.  A lot of the time you can just go tell them what brand and color name and they'll already have the formula in the computer, but if you have a swatch from the SW store they'll definitely be able to do it.

brass and ballet flats
  • what was your house blog SB?  I need some inspiration.

• Do you have Porter Paints there?  Around here they have a deal that when you buy a $50 gift card you get a 90 minute in-home consultation with a color consultant for free.  Then just use the gift card to buy the paint.  As long as you have a general idea what you want, they can suggest specific colors.  Our was able to pick colors that worked with both our gold/red dining room curtains/upholstery and our charcoal gray living room furniture.  And that also went with the chocolate brown I wanted for the front hall and stairway.
  • No Porter's.  poo, a consult sounds fancy.
  • I'm also loyal to SW and Purdy brushes/rollers.

However. THIS changed my life: http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Spray-Tech-Power-Roller/dp/B0002CXCXI/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1322669929&sr=1-5

It is fantastic. You control how much paint gets into the roller with the thumb button, and there is no running back and forth to the paint pan. Clean up by hooking it to your garden hose. It was a lifesaver in my house, because all my ceilings are vaulted so I was on a ladder for most of it. But even when I was standing on the floor, everything went so much quicker.

• Mo, I've always been interested in those types of things.  Do you feel like you end up using more paint (or, I guess, losing any paint) inside the tubes/canister?
  • image EssBe:

I am a total paint snob!  Yay for a new house!  I hope you're having fun with it.

For walls, hands down my favorite for the money is Sherwin Williams Duration Home Interior.  It has zero smell, it has insane coverage, and the matte finish is a really great look but still cleanable.  Don't believe the calculation they use for coverage.  I calculated that I would need like 7 gallons for my living/dining/staircase/hallway and I only ended up using two.  Two!  And that was for two coats.

Oh man, we so got hosed on this. We bought like double the paint we really needed and of course it's unreturnable.

Having only painted once, I can't offer any comparison, but we were really really happy with Benjamin Moore paint. 

The poster formerly known as PDXPhotoGrl
  • I recently used California Paints interior paint and I loved it. I used their Zero VOC paint and there was almost no odor while painting. I didn't need much paint to cover the walls either, so I think I ended up saving money.