Seattle Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

random clicky

I always get emails and things in the mail from the alumni association at my undergrad university.  I always just toss/delete because well, I'm not giving them any more money right now!  But realistically, I don't have an interest in donating to the university ever - I just don't get it.  When I do donate money it's usually some sort of charity and if I ever did donate to something related to my undergrad, it would be to a scholarship fund (like, I would go find a specific one that I knew gave the money to students in need etc).  Am I the weird one or would you someday donate to your undergrad?*

*I just realized that maybe I would consider this if I went to a small private school or something, where I felt a more personal connection. 

[Poll]

Re: random clicky

• I'm a college dropout. :D So they don't mail me anything. If they did, I'd probably set it on fire. (The mail, not the college; flying back to Philadelphia to set it ablaze would be satisfying, but ultimately not worth it.)

The husband gets a lot of stuff from UMich, though; I recycle it all.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • If I was asked to donate directly to the program I participated in for a scholarship or something I would. I would never just send money to a large university.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I went to a small private college for undergrad, and I feel that my $32,000 in yearly tuition was all the money they will see from me...

I did my master's at a big state school, and if they took alum feedback better, I'd be all for donating to my specific school/program within the larger university, but I feel until they start listening to alum on the types of things that they need to make changes to within the program, then nope.

Not to mention, that I agree.  If I want to give my money away, it's going to be for a charity, and I don't see a unversity sponsored by the government as a charity.

• I would and I do.

I went to UCLA, and received one of the few merit based scholarships given out by the UC system. The scholarship also involved service for the university, so since I started school, I've been very active with the alumni association. The scholarship made it so that along with my summer internships and work during the school year, I didn't need to take out any loans for school.

I'm now active with our alumni association up here. I give money to the scholarship itself that I received money from, our general fund, and our Seattle group is starting a scholarship fund for a Washington state student so once that gets funded, I'll make a donation to them as well.

• Also, my university isn't the only organization I give to, it's just one of the many. I think it's important to give back to my local community as well.  

• I voted that I would consider it.  I would probably limit it to donations within departments from which DH and I graduated, and athletics (Tyee football tickets for example).
    OMH est. May 7, 2011
    Photo courtesy of jennygg.com
    My never updated Planning/Married Bio: http://mgoss228.weebly.com/
    Seattle Knotties: Please page me if you send me a PM!
  • I voted SS...because you didn't give the answer that matches what you even commented you would do :D Which is what I would do...my school gives lots of scholarships, so if I were to donate, it would be to one of the scholarship funds.
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • image KST_:
    I voted SS...because you didn't give the answer that matches what you even commented you would do :D Which is what I would do...my school gives lots of scholarships, so if I were to donate, it would be to one of the scholarship funds.

lol  well, I was just asking whether people would send back that alumni envelope.  And honestly, I'm not even sure I would do a scholarship thing unless it was like, a friend who died and one was set up in their name or something.  In general, I would rather send all the money I do donate to charities (not saying scholarships aren't important, it's just not where I want to put my money).