Seattle Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

xmas gifts: budget??

do you have a budget for xmas/holiday gifts? what is it? how many people do you buy for?

what is you and your DH budget for eachother?

do you usually know what gifts you're getting??

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!

Re: xmas gifts: budget??

• I don't really have a budget, but we don't spend much.  No kids in our fam, so we try not to exchange presents much.  I always get something for my mom and dad, sometimes w/ siblings but not always. Last year we drew names.  DH and I usually set a limit for each other about $100.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • do you have a budget for xmas/holiday gifts? what is it? how many people do you buy for?

not really. we don't have that many people to buy for so it's not too bad. we have:

3 sets of parents:

his dad/stepmom - we usually get them something like clothes for his dad, and fashion jewelry/accessories/a lotion she loves for his stepmom

his mom/her husband - normally clothes or something smaller for his mom, usually a home depot gift card for her husband, or something with flames on it

my mom/dad - things like jewelry for my mom, clothes for my dad

his brother - xbox game 

his sister - she's in culinary school, so usually something cooking related, and I like to throw in something girly like jewelry or make-up since she has 4 brothers

my sister - probably spend the most on her. I basically buy something that I'd love, usually, heh. this year she's getting Tom's sunglasses.

my brother - something xbox related or running related 

what is you and your DH budget for each other?

we don't really have one. everywhere from a hundred dollars to close to a thousand, depending.

yea. this year DH is going to get me a closet organizing system for our master closet, plus potentially a pair of moissanite earrings. I'll be getting him either new golf irons, or a chamber vacuum sealer. 

• We don't do gifts. We don't do gifts with our families either. I do buy gifts for my nieces - which this year is some Christmas pajamas and a Dr. Seuss book of lost stories.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We definitely have a budget.

We draw names for H's siblings - $50 for each gift

Our budget for each other is usually at the most $100 - H always seems to cheap out haha

As for what I'm getting, I generally don't know. I give MIL and FIL a list, and H has a different list as well. Then who ever gets my name from the draw usually asks if they need idea's otherwise they will just randomly go buy something. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    #1-BFP 08-22-09 ~ M/C 08-31-09 at 5 weeks 6 days
    #2-BFP 08-6-11 ~ Due 04/18 ~ born via c-section April 22, 2012
    My Blog
  • I don't like to spend more than $500 on everyone. We don't really give gifts with my extended family so I usually spend 50 on my dad and 50 on my bro. I stopped (shameful i know.. but whatever) buying gifts for my nieces and nephews that live across the state. so we buy for his brothers and SOs and their children and his parents. we spend the most on his family. we aren't doing gifts this year but we both need to replace a few things so we'll probably do that as our gifts.

H and I usually kinda go crazy on eachother so I'm happy we're not doing that this year. I give H a list and ask for a couple things.. he ends up literally buying one of everything on my list... each year i tell him not to do it and he does anyway.. so i usually kinda know what i'm getting.

i wish h was more thoughtful when buying my gifts.

• image sarack:

Yeah, boys suck at picking out gifts.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image jennuinne:
    image sarack:

Yeah, boys suck at picking out gifts.

and it sucks because i was raised by my dad, and he always got me exactly what i wanted. but he did the same thing as H, he bought a little of everything on my 'list'. i usually give a gneral list.. like a picture frame or nail polish, and he always gets me the things i would NEVEr want. i love him for trying, i just wish he'd shop less last minute and think about it a little more.

• I should mention that my family doesn't do gifts just DH's family, so that helps!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    #1-BFP 08-22-09 ~ M/C 08-31-09 at 5 weeks 6 days
    #2-BFP 08-6-11 ~ Due 04/18 ~ born via c-section April 22, 2012
    My Blog
  • H and I set about $150 limit which includes stocking stuffers. In general, that kind of works out to $100 for present and $50 for the stuff from santa. Yes, we do that at our age, but it's fun! I don't think it would feel like Christmas morning without a stocking stuffed with fun little things.

Unfortunately, thanks to my parents' love life, I now have too many on my side. We don't set an actual limit, but it's usually something like $50 per parent. I have Mom, Stepdad, Dad, now Dad's new wife, and former stepmom that my Dad divorced last year but she was my mom for 20 years and always will be. H doesn't really have a budget for his parents, we just get whatever we can think of.

H is an only child, so we just have my brother and sister, and usually that's around $50 each. For my 2 nephews, we don't have a budget but just get some small somethings that they would enjoy.

We don't usually know what we're getting from each other, surprises are more fun! And we make lists to help out with ideas. 

Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • do you have a budget for xmas/holiday gifts? what is it?
    Sort of.  We make a list of everyone we "need" to give gifts to, and everyone we'd like to give something to, then write out a limit for each person (along with a few ideas of items in that price range and/or where to go looking).  We stick to the individuals' budgets.  This year, since money is so tight, we'll check the total of everyone's and will probably have to do a second round of individual budgets to make the total smaller.
    Because we do it this way, the total varies, and the amount per person varies.  Sometimes for kids we make their gifts and spend very little, but other times we buy them and it ends up costing more.

how many people do you buy for?
    9 kids
    2 teens
    7-12 adults
    plus our friends, which varies (usually just if we see something perfect)

Varies.  We usually do an exchange of small gifts and then either a larger one/few or put the money toward something else (like Leavenworth).

no

EDD 9/24/13 BabyFetus Ticker
    Best sound ever: baby's heartbeat! (Heard @ 10w1d)
  • do you have a budget for xmas/holiday gifts? what is it? how many people do you buy for?
    no. i usually buy for my parents, his parents, and maybe a friend or two or three. not too many. my niece and nephew are getting a little old for presents (they're getting to that snotty age where they don't appreciate anything)....so i only have one niece now to buy for, really.

we don't really have one. we just buy what we think the other might want.

nope.

ETA: my h is *very* thoughtful and careful when he picks out his gifts...he puts a LOT of effort into it (i can see internet browsing history, lol).....but he's not very good at it. Huh? . i always appreciate the effort though <3

♥ bfp2 02/15/2012 ♥ edd 10/23/2013 ♥
    ♥ bfp1 06/14/2011 ♥ edd 02/22/2012 ♥
    ♥ baby jennlin born on 02/15/2012 ♥

who says you can only wear your wedding dress once?

honeymoon biomarried bioplanning bio
    jumped ship to the new and improved nest. back to TB for baby boards.
  • image jennlin:
    ETA: my h is *very* thoughtful and careful when he picks out his gifts...he puts a LOT of effort into it (i can see internet browsing history, lol).....but he's not very good at it. Huh? . i always appreciate the effort though <3
    That's really sweet!  Maybe he'll get the hang of it/strike some luck eventually...
    EDD 9/24/13 BabyFetus Ticker
    Best sound ever: baby's heartbeat! (Heard @ 10w1d)
  • image emyinpink:

yea. this year DH is going to get me a closet organizing system for our master closet, plus potentially a pair of moissanite earrings. I'll be getting him either new golf irons, or a chamber vacuum sealer. 

Emy, we are purchasing an organizing system for our master closet too!  we've been looking at the various options (california closets, lowes, home depot, ikea) trying to figure out what direction we want to go.

Regarding gifts, we buy for both sets of parents (typically spend $100-200 per set)

My brother - we just trade $50 checks every year, pretty ridiculous.. haha

H's sister and brother in law - normally get them restaurant gift cards

H's brother - he's always a challenge to buy for - but typically something techy or gift cards

Because we are so far away we either rush aorund shopping at the last minute when we go visit or need something shipable. 

H and I spend anywhere from $100 - several hundred on each other.  Sometimes we just buy something for the house too...

We aim for $20 for siblings/SOs/kids, and $50 for parents/grandparents.  We buy about 10 gifts, and are usually under budget.

We don't really have a budget, but I don't think we've ever spent over $100 for any Christmas gift.  This year we aren't buying each other gifts, because we plan on taking a vacation together in December.

Yeah, I give the Moms and DH a list of what I want.  If I didn't do that, I would get hella random gifts that I would never use.

OMH est. May 7, 2011
    Photo courtesy of jennygg.com
    My never updated Planning/Married Bio: http://mgoss228.weebly.com/
    Seattle Knotties: Please page me if you send me a PM!