Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Ok...I know a bunch of you beoches have memory foam

did you go with the firm or medium. 2 people....TWO responded to my post. I'm doing scientific work here people and I cannot do that with 2 answers. FIRM OR MEDIUM! I've alredy decided that I'm going with 11-inch thickness.

Also, I'm a fatty....am I going to sink to the bottom and not be able to roll over? Help me out here b!tches!

Re: Ok...I know a bunch of you beoches have memory foam

• image CoriA:

Also, I'm a fatty....am I going to sink to the bottom and not be able to roll over? Help me out here b!tches!

I am dying at this!

I dont have memory foam, but I would definitely choose medium over firm.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I do, but can't remember what thickness we went with.  There was a certain reason, though, why we did not go with the thickest.  Maybe it was too hard, I don't know?  Or maybe too soft?  I, honestly, can't remember.  I also don't know if our set had a "firm" or "medium" option.

THAT is why I did not respond.

Have you guys went to try them out?  Before we did, I thought for sure we'd go with the thickest they had but after testing, we changed our minds.  You HAVE to try them out.

• image OxAMYxO:
    image CoriA:

I am dying at this!

I dont have memory foam, but I would definitely choose medium over firm.

HELLO! You know me....am I going to be flopping like a fish trying to get out of the damnBed? These are things I need to know.

We did try them out, but I can't remember what we decided. Gah....I'm going to have to go again over my lunch and write everything down so I can compare prices on-line.

• I would go lay on one, it seems to me that the two times we slept somewhere with memory foam (both on week long vacays) that the thicker one sucked more because I felt like I sunk into it, then in the morning my back ached from being stuck in the foam. I think a thinner pad at a medium would be a better bet, I'm not 100% sure the thinner one we slept on was a medium but it felt about that way. :)
  • Like Tempur-pedic?  Cause I'm dense.

My DH just brought one home one day last year...here hon, hope you like it.  You DO NOT sink into it.  Just barely.  The kids were all disappointed when we got it and they jumped on it, you don't bounce.  We got firm, and I love it.   And we did not get the thick one, nor did we opt for the pillow top (or whatever they have like that) or mattress cover.  It's good just the way it is. 

The biggest adjustment is the heat factor.  It retains heat so the first few nights you wake up in a sweat, then you figure it out and you adjust.  It's worth it.

Photobucket
    thanks to jennied :)

• image Teresa:

Like Tempur-pedic?  Cause I'm dense.

My DH just brought one home one day last year...here hon, hope you like it.  You DO NOT sink into it.  Just barely.  The kids were all disappointed when we got it and they jumped on it, you don't bounce.  We got firm, and I love it.   And we did not get the thick one, nor did we opt for the pillow top (or whatever they have like that) or mattress cover.  It's good just the way it is. 

The biggest adjustment is the heat factor.  It retains heat so the first few nights you wake up in a sweat, then you figure it out and you adjust.  It's worth it.

Ok, but did you have a "firm" mattress before? I like a really soft bed...with a nice pillow top. Is a firm memory foam (yes, talking Tempur-pedic....or iComfort) hard? Am I going to wake up the next morning and not be able to walk?

• image CoriA:
    image Teresa:

Like Tempur-pedic?  Cause I'm dense.

Ok, but did you have a "firm" mattress before? I like a really soft bed...with a nice pillow top. Is a firm memory foam (yes, talking Tempur-pedic....or iComfort) hard? Am I going to wake up the next morning and not be able to walk?

I went from a water bed (back in the day), to a super soft super thick pillow top, to the Tempur-Pedic.  I thought I needed a soft bed, and I don't.  I always had random aches and pains when I woke up before we got it, and they're gone.  You might just love a firm mattress.  They do have a trial period - use it to see how you like it.  It's a mattress.  It's VERY important.  

Photobucket
    thanks to jennied :)

• You can come test out my bed.  You can do it upon delivering my carmel apple.  We can eat carmel apples in bed together.  That wouldn't be creepy at all. 

Actually, let's plan to do this about 5 minutes before J gets off work - hahahaha!

I just popped back in to say get the waterproof mattress cover/pad thing for like $90.  According to NFM, they won't honor a warranty without it BUT the reason I really love it is because, hello, it's water (juice, milk, pee) proof.  LOVE!

• No Idea what brands you are considering, but we purchased the iComfort almost 2 months ago.  Went chose the Prodigy which is the medium firmness of the 3 that NFM carries.  Totally indecisive, so it was back and forth with multiple visits to NFM and other stores before making our decision.  We ultimately picked the iComfort over the TempurPedic at the recommendation of a friend who prefers it after years of only sleeping on a TP - plus the 120 day sleep guarantee was helpful too!  Previously we slept on a medium firmness pillow-top mattress - totally with hills and valleys, firm, but the pillow-top part sucked.  I won't say I loved spending that much on a bed, but if it lasts the 20+ years they say it should it will cost much less over time.

Insight(Firm): Hard as a rock as far as we could tell and the thinnest of the 3, 9" I believe and the least expensive of the 3.

Revolution(Soft):  Ridiculously soft, sitting on the side of the bed was too much for me, I didn't even want to lay on it.  This was definitely a no-go considering that I have a tendency to sleep on my stomach.  Maybe being that squishy wouldn't be an issue for someone who likes a super soft bed, but it seemed to defeat the purpose of memory foam.

Prodigy(Medium):  It was just right and plenty firm for the way I sleep and the thickest @ 12.75 because of the extra layer of slow reaction latex.  Most expensive.

ETA:  The bed doesn't hold heat.  Seems the cooling layer really does it's job which is nice.  I was concerned about having to switch out my expensive sheets to keep from sleeping sweaty, but it hasn't been an issue.

Kaeden 2.25.03 Kendall 6.23.06 Kamryn 12.28.07 Kortney 7.1.09 #5 due 10.12.12 image
  • We have a topper, E has an 8" memory foam mattress.  There wasn't a choice of firmness for hers, but it is a lot firmer than our topper.  It is still comfy, even for me who sleeps on my side, but I like my softer topper better.  DH likes the firmer one better.  If they don't make ones that are split, then we may end up with two twins of different firmness pushed side by side! ;)

I am having difficulty rolling over in mine, but I think that has more to do with the pain I have right now.  Once I start rolling, I just keep going until I literally roll out of bed.  But, it has been absolutely fabulous this pregnancy, I have had no aches or pains sleeping.  That memory foam stuff is amazing!