Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

A Poll about Ethnic Race,....

Please don't let this turn ugly. Oh wait. Evee GBCMLd, maybe it won't?

LOLz

[Poll]

Re: A Poll about Ethnic Race,....

• ethnicity=/=race
  • image renegade gaucho:
    ethnicity=/=race

OMG relax. Most people will know what I mean. it's almost 5 on Friday, I'm only thinking about happy hour.

• I wouldn't change because I am who I am.  I wouldn't want DH to change either.
    image Visit The Nest! Love to scrapbook!
  • Not to be rude, but I have to say - this is a very weird question. I didn't take part in your poll, but I like who I am so no, I wouldn't change.
  • I am Caucasian and I chose that I would be African-American.

This is mainly because I think that it would be a very eye opening experience for me. I live in the Northeast and my mother was a Freedom Rider back in 1961 (a civil rights worker), and returned to Mississippi to live there for a while and work on registering black voters.

So I believe that my parents have educated me well about the struggles for civil rights and against racism that black people have endured. Not to mention slavery. However, I think I would still be shocked to be black and really understand from a different perspective how it feels to almost always be in the minority (at least where I live), and to feel prejudice. 

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/rkd75g.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/23r1e34.jpg[/IMG]
  • I'm surprised at how many people wouldn't take advantage of this opportunity for a week. I would love the opportunity to learn from this change.
  • For those folks who are interested in changing their race for a week, try something a slight step down.  Wear some Muslim garb or walk down the street holding a friend of the same sex's hand (or put your arm around them as you stroll).  See if you get any different responses.
  • image GradDad:
    For those folks who are interested in changing their race for a week, try something a slight step down.  Wear some Muslim garb or walk down the street holding a friend of the same sex's hand (or put your arm around them as you stroll).  See if you get any different responses.

This happened to me today- I was out with a co-worker for lunch and she said something to the cashier about me being her partner, meaning work partner. The cashier gave us a scowl and treated us very poorly after that. Neither of us corrected her assumption and were surprised by her response. Very enlightening.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • They have had studies where if an older woman changes her clothing (obviously, keeping the same race, but being well-off, middle-class, or poor), she is treated differently.  Poor women are short-changed more often :(

• I like who I am, but I would change into almost anything for a week.  I'd be a cat for a week, or a man for a week, or different race. Sounds like an adventure to me!
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image