This morning DH and I went to talk to the genetic counselor about our baby's diagnosis of Trisomy 21 and to determine whether it was spontaneous or inherited and what, if anything, we should do next.
The good news is that the type of Trisomy 21 our baby had was spontaneous and not inherited, so while our risk for another chromosome abnormality is increased compared to the general population, it's only increased by fractions of a percent. They also reviewed the blood work my OB did on me for clotting and autoimmune disorders and everything came out normal, so they basically see no reason why we shouldn't be able to have a healthy baby in the future.
We also learned that our baby was a girl
So we're essentially done with this hurdle of testing. I did decide to go ahead and do a consult with the RE at the hospital to basically evaluate everything we've done and determine if there's anything else we should be examining. I started the process last week and they called this afternoon to set up my appointment (which won't be until November, unfortunately). After everything we learned today I'm not sure it's necessary to keep the appointment since I feel much better about our circumstances, but I may go anyway just to cover my bases and see what they would do to monitor my next pregnancy initially versus what my OB does/did.
So, long story short, we basically got the best news we could have gotten, which is that our chance of having another chromosome abnormality is about the same as for any other woman my age. We just happen to be terribly, terribly unlucky. But it's better than the alternatives, so we'll take it.