September 2009 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Engagement Party

Tell me about yours. We didn't have one and I've never been to one. My friend is planning hers and her three-bedroom apartment will apparently not be large enough to hold all of the people she is planning to invite. She'd like me to help her find an inexpensive venue for all of these people. I'm not really sure where to start. 

Would just doing cocktails at a nice-ish bar work? 

Re: Engagement Party

• Do you or any family members have a nice backyard?

Ours was held at my MIL's house outside. Jon's brother works for a local party/event store, so he was able to get us a huge tent to cover the backyard and also some tables & chairs. We just had a nice little cookout with our parents, wedding party and OOT guests.

ExerciseMilestone
  • image lilswimmer:

Do you or any family members have a nice backyard?

Ours was held at my MIL's house outside. Jon's brother works for a local party/event store, so he was able to get us a huge tent to cover the backyard and also some tables & chairs. We just had a nice little cookout with our parents, wedding party and OOT guests.

I wish. Everybody is in apartments, condos, or OOT. I'm checking if her apartment complex has a rental space.

• Ours was at Josh's parents house. MIL kinda made a huge event out of it, but it doesn't have to be like that. 

I think it just depends on the couple and the guests that would be attending. We had lots of church friends at ours, so a bar probably wouldn't have been the best venue for us;) BUT I have seen that done before and I think it's definitely fine.

What about reserving a private room at a restaurant? That might get expensive though...

How many people is she looking to invite?  

• Okay, after talking to her more, I got her to trim things down and try the apartment.

She was under the impression that she had to invite all of her wedding guests. Which is going to be something like 200. Oy.

• Oh no- we didnt invite a ton of people but a ton showed up. We had ours in a private space at a local bar. It was fun and pretty inexpensive. Our parents paid for it but since they didnt know enough about Cincy we helped plan it. We had maybe 50-60 people go in and out.

• image dbucks:

Okay, after talking to her more, I got her to trim things down and try the apartment.

She was under the impression that she had to invite all of her wedding guests. Which is going to be something like 200. Oy.

Oh wow! Glad you were able to reason with her:) 

• We had one at my parents house because they wanted to throw a party for us.  Is there anywhere she could have it outside, or at someone else's house with more room, or yeah, maybe a relaxed, good-sized bar?
    Accidental Smiles
    updated 10.03.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers