Atlanta Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

REA for rental

Has anyone used a REA for finding a rental property?  DH and I are looking for rentals in the North Druid/Brookhaven/North Decatur area (basically east of 75 and north of Memorial Drive).  We are in a time crunch b/c our lease is up Dec 31st, but we have to give 60 days written notice if we are vacating.  Which means we have to find a place on our tight budget by the end of October and then convince the landlord to hold it for us until Jan. 1. Indifferent  I was hoping that maybe an agent could help us out, but who covers the cost for that?  Do they get paid by the owner or do we pay them?  Any suggestions?

FWIW, I'm on Craigslist and MLS everyday, and we've been driving the neighborhoods we are interested in.  I'm just wondering if it would be easier to negotiate if an agent is involved or if it's not worth the hassle. 

<div align=

Re: REA for rental

• I found a place on here before. We didn't use an agent but had to go through and agent to see the property which was kind of a pain. Good luck finding a new home can be nerve wracking.
  • Disclosure: I am an agent.

Yes, an agent will show you rentals. I do it all the time. The commission is paid by the landlord/owner, and is a flat fee. As a "buyer" you do not pay anything to an agent for his/her services.

The problem you have, as I see it, is two-fold. One, most properties in FMLS are either vacant and ready for occupancy immediately, or in that last 60 days before the lease ends. You are not going to find property advertised to be available on Jan. 1. You will need to start looking in November. You will have plenty of time to find a new place. You will probably be able to accomplish it in a couple of days--maybe a week. You know what you want, and that's half the battle!

The second part of your problem is that there is not a lot of negotiation that will go on with rentals that are listed in FMLS. The rents and fees are set. Because of the mortgage crisis, landlords are doing well, and they are turning people away. They can call the shots. That's not to say it's worthless to negotiate--especially if you are looking at a 2-year or 3-year lease, for instance, but it's probably not going to happen if you are looking for a 1-year lease or to waive the app fee or whatnot.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

• image SuwaneeGirl:

Disclosure: I am an agent.

Yes, an agent will show you rentals. I do it all the time. The commission is paid by the landlord/owner, and is a flat fee. As a "buyer" you do not pay anything to an agent for his/her services.

The problem you have, as I see it, is two-fold. One, most properties in FMLS are either vacant and ready for occupancy immediately, or in that last 60 days before the lease ends. You are not going to find property advertised to be available on Jan. 1. You will need to start looking in November. You will have plenty of time to find a new place. You will probably be able to accomplish it in a couple of days--maybe a week. You know what you want, and that's half the battle!

The second part of your problem is that there is not a lot of negotiation that will go on with rentals that are listed in FMLS. The rents and fees are set. Because of the mortgage crisis, landlords are doing well, and they are turning people away. They can call the shots. That's not to say it's worthless to negotiate--especially if you are looking at a 2-year or 3-year lease, for instance, but it's probably not going to happen if you are looking for a 1-year lease or to waive the app fee or whatnot.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks for this...it's really good advice.  We're not so much looking to negotiate rent, but we do need a property that is pet-friendly and a landlord that is 100% ok with our indoor dogs.  I've been to several places that have said they are pet friendly, but then they tell me they want the dogs to stay outside, which is not an option for us.  

I think what makes me nervous is to give written notice that we are moving out but not being able to have something lined up.  Eek!

<div align=