September 2008 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

F/U Solids

Thank you for all the advice, ladies! I talked to Eli's pedi last week and she said that it is absolutely up to us when we want to start. Her reasoning for starting him on cereal/solids now is recent research on food allergies. The newest line of thought is starting earlier and introducing certain allergens early on may actually prevent some food allergies. (There was a big study in Israel where peanut butter was introduced at a very early age, leading to virtually no peanut allergies in the study.) Anyway, since some studies also say waiting can help prevent food allergies, she suggested starting solids at 5 months instead of at 4 or 6 months. We will see how Eli does in a month, but I'm relieved to know she was an advocate for letting us make the decision.

Thanks again!

Food Blog! image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
Amber has read 17 books toward her goal of 35 books.
hide

Re: F/U Solids

• That is so interesting because it varies so much from pedi to pedi. Ours says no peanuts/peanut butter until 2 and I know other ladies with babies just weeks older/younger than Maddy that are already feeding peanut butter.
    ::Blog:: ::NOTD Schedule::
    ::GP Nesties FAQ:: ::My BFP Chart::

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Sarah has read 0 books toward a goal of 50 books.
    hide
    "I won't sugarcoat the truth just so you can swallow it without the pain"
  • Interesting about the difference in opinion about when to feed allergy prone food. Honestly I feel like an allergy will eventually present itself whether you give it earlier or later. I'm really glad your pedi isn't being persistent and is letting you go at yours and Eli's pace. You know him best. Smile

Also, how is he 4+ months?!?

HCM ~ 9.6.08

[Wedding] [Blogging] [Nesting]
  • image MrsC968:

Interesting about the difference in opinion about when to feed allergy prone food. Honestly I feel like an allergy will eventually present itself whether you give it earlier or later. I'm really glad your pedi isn't being persistent and is letting you go at yours and Eli's pace. You know him best. Smile

Also, how is he 4+ months?!?

All of this.  I preferred to wait and I gave M peanut butter for the first time while we were actually in a Friendly's restaurant attached to the best Children's Hospital in our area.  Nope, I'm not paranoid or anything!  The only things we're holding off on now are actual nuts and shell fish.  We have shell fish allergies on both sides of the family and I'd rather just not risk it right now while she's still so tiny and won't have a clue what's going on if she has a reaction.  I'd rather just wait until she's a bit older and could tell me if she doesn't feel right.

GL with solids when the time comes for you and Eli!

~DD born 3-25-10~DS born 6-5-12~
    imageimage
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers image image
  • This is all so interesting to me... It makes me want to call my mom and ask what she did for me, b/c I am pretty sure my brother and I were eating pb and seafood when we were very young. I have no known allergies and I don't know of any on either side of the family, M side as well. M did have to have an allergy test when he was younger, and the only thing that came up was lamb. (imo, why would you eat that anyway?) Interesting how things have changed since we were little!
    Married, At Last 09.20.08