Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Food for new foster dog

Foster dog has been with us 2 days now.  He has some killer gas and very loose stools.  Nerves may have something to do with it and I'm sure suddenly transitioning to a new food isn't helping.  I'm guessing he didn't get great food in his last home or the shelter and now I'm feeding him Wellness. 

Would it be worth feeding him a bland diet and slowly adding in the Wellness over a week or two?  I have dog probiotics and a digestive enzyme - think it would help with foster's gas?

Tired after a long morning of hiking and swimming.

Re: Food for new foster dog

• I'm not an expert in any way, but I'm transitioning our new guy to Wellness also. He was on Purina One before. The rescue told me to buy a small bag of Purina and feed him 1.5c that and .25c Wellness for two meals and up the Wellness every two meals until he's transitioned. We're also giving him a scoop of pumpkin, which recalled helped! Can you call the rescue and see what he was on before?
  • yes, you could do steamed chicken and white rice for a few meals (from Chinese takeout), or add some canned pure pumpkin to his food if the problem continues with the new food.
  • He was in the shelter for only a couple days before he came to my house and we're not sure what he was getting before that. 

I gave him probiotics and digestive enzymes yesterday at breakfast with the Wellness and then switched to boiled beef and rice for dinner.  I gave him 3/4 bland food and 1/4 wellness this morning with the probiotics and enzymes and he has been gas free since yesterday morning.  If his stools don't firm up in a couple days, I'll add the pumpkin.  Thanks for that idea!

Tired after a long morning of hiking and swimming.