Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Does anyone remember these Mercer Meyer books?

Just Go To Bed

I used to love these books as a kid and I still have them.  I looked up one of the books on Amazon because I wanted to see if the main character in the book had a name and was going to see if merchandise (like a stuffed toy) was sold.

When I saw that someone gave the book a one-star rating, I just had to go see what they said.  Obviously, it's a (ridiculous) sign of the times:

I'm a huge fan of Mercer Mayer's books and they are always a huge hit around the house except for this one. This was is about the little one doing just about anything not to go to bed by pretending to be and do various things, with the father just replying "Just go to bed", nothing more. I felt it was very outdated in that the father just barks orderes and no explainations or further communication. I guess I expected the book to have the parent explain or demonstrate in a crafty way why it is important for wee ones to rest or prepare for bedtime. Nothing of the sort here. This book is a dud in my opinion with so many missed opportunities to educate and amuse children and parents. You can find much better books out there to help with bed time rituals.

Or this one:

I bought this book sight unseen, and boy, what a mistake. Every page has a bad message. The little boy monster plays with a toy gun, shoots aliens with a ray gun, attacks a boat, and there is violent imagery throughout. The dad yells at the boy, and then lets him eat cookies before bed. I realize I sound like a total prude, but there are plenty of books out there that don't focus on fighting and shooting. My husband wants to throw it away, but I think I can put stickers over the gun images and paste some better text over the violent passages. Before I stopped reading it to my daughter, I would change the words when reading it aloud - instead of using a ray gun to shoot the alien, he was "using his sensor to scan the alien". But that got tiresome.

Sheesh!  It's a kids book!

#1  12.11.11
#2  10.23.13 EDD

Re: Does anyone remember these Mercer Meyer books?

• I loooved those books! People are such idiots. So essentially they'll shelter their kids from anything bad and then they'll have no idea how the world works. Not these books would teach them any of that anyway but whatever...

My little nuggets

• Apparently these reviewers have never downloaded Samuel L. Jackson's reading of "Go the F*ck to Sleep..."
  • People need to lighten the fvck up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had these and LOVED them. My favorite was "Just for You" with the little Critter featured. 

• People are moronic sometimes!  I love those books - I gave my dad "Just Grandpa and Me" to tell him I was PG since he always read them to me as a kiddo. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image erbur78:

I had these and LOVED them. My favorite was "Just for You" with the little Critter featured. 

these were my absolute favorite books.  I used to love looking for the spider.

• I have THAT book and LOVE it. People need to get over themselves. While I try and redirect Brooks every chance I get and try not to just say "no", sometimes it's what works. (OK it usually doesn't work and he just laughs at me)
    <p>[IMG]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/mzovoce/s628552874_122950_682.jpg[/IMG]
  • I have never heard of these books, but I am going to agree with PP they people need to lighten up.

This is my favorite:

>>. My husband wants to throw it away, but I think I can put stickers over the gun images and paste some better text over the violent passages.<<

...is it just me, or does that seem like a lot of friggin work?  How about you just not read the book? ;) 

Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10 
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011