Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Re: Niece's Baptism Post

I am glad it seems that the OP has decided to sit this one out.  I just realized I had scenes from the Housewives of NJ Christening in my head while picturing the OP showing up uninvited to the Baptism.

Re: Re: Niece's Baptism Post

• I finally read the whole thing. It amazed me how long she clung onto her original thought process. 

A few years ago, there was a similar thread with a baby shower and a woman that was going to crash it and bring a teddy bear with a onesie that read "I love my aunt".

I'm sure that went over well.  

Hope is not a strategy.
  • image ZestofLime:

I finally read the whole thing. It amazed me how long she clung onto her original thought process. 

A few years ago, there was a similar thread with a baby shower and a woman that was going to crash it and bring a teddy bear with a onesie that read "I love my aunt".

Oh my gosh, i wonder if that was my hubby's sil, as she did that at my baby shower, lol. Although it wasn't a onsie it was a bib, and she didn't come but sent the gift. And yes, it didn't go over well, lol. Crazy a$$ sils! 

• Rin731Rin731 member

image julie324:
    I am glad it seems that the OP has decided to sit this one out.  I just realized I had scenes from the Housewives of NJ Christening in my head while picturing the OP showing up uninvited to the Baptism.

Lol, I never, ever meant that I would make a scene at the church service.

But-

I'm not going. I'm going to give them a card sometime tomorrow afternoon after the ceremony.

Thanks to all who gave advice. I hope to eventually figure out why DH and I were excluded, but if not, it's okay. 

I just hope that this taught me to react with less resentment when she pulls something like this again. Wink

• Rin731Rin731 member
    image ZestofLime:

I finally read the whole thing. It amazed me how long she clung onto her original thought process. 

I guess I honestly didn't see anything wrong with going to the public church service that day that happened to have my niece's baptism in it.

I really didn't think that it would be offensive.

But I got a lot of flack about it, so I guess it would have been in bad taste? Embarrassed

• yes, it would have been in bad taste to go when you were not invited.

And I don't see the problem in not inviting pagans to a church service. I'm Jewish, and I didn't invite my nonJewish friends/family to bris celebrations, for example. But I am speculating that maybe you are pretty assertive about your paganism, which, if so, is likely why you weren't invited.

SO SINGS MY SOUL *WHAM!* MY SAVIOR GOD TO THEE *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!*
  • Rin731Rin731 member
    image Sue_sue:

yes, it would have been in bad taste to go when you were not invited.

And I don't see the problem in not inviting pagans to a church service. I'm Jewish, and I didn't invite my nonJewish friends/family to bris celebrations, for example. But I am speculating that maybe you are pretty assertive about your paganism, which, if so, is likely why you weren't invited.

But I am speculating that maybe you are pretty assertive about your paganism, which, if so, is likely why you weren't invited.

Quite the opposite,  I think that the only time it came up was DH's mom saying, "Honey, is Rin a Christian?" And he said, "No, she's pagan, I think."

I have never talked to her (SIL) about it, or brought it up.  I was just trying to think of reasons why we were excluded, and that popped into my mind.