November 2010 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding

I saw there's an episode coming on in a few minutes.  Has anyone else watched this show?  I've caught a couple episodes and, among the many things that boggle my mind, I can't imagine planning a wedding and then having to hide the date for fear the venue would cancel on us. 

Not to mention, of course, the dresses!  Holy mackerel! 

Re: My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding

• I saw that on the plane... about the Traveler community in the UK, right?

The dresses are... umm... not my taste.  I like to fit through doors without help.

• That's the one. 

I don't know if the episode I'm watching is going more into detail about the girls dropping out of school to get married and take care of their siblings and whatnot than the others I've seen or I've just missed it, but I feel horrible for these girls.  

But yeah...fitting through doorways is high on my list of things I want from a dress!

• I don't have cable and have no idea what this show is about - but it sounds crazy! Why would you have to hide the date? Maybe I need to look these up on Hulu or something...
    ExerciseMilestone
  • I saw one episode where they went somewhere for someone's birthday, and only person in the entire group (out of like 20) could read.  She was working for a bakery, and she was like 19 years old.  She said she was an old maid and if she didn't get married soon, she'd never get married.  Just crazy.

Their First Communion parties were more elaborate than my wedding.  I'd like to know how much money they make, and how they make it.  They won't disclose the price of anything on the show because I guess they keep their finances super secret.

---------
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I watched one episode, but it didn't actually have a wedding in it.  They just kept getting kicked out of random parking lots, and they were mad that the authorities kept "taking away their lands" and it kind of irked me.  I mean, someone else paid for that land, and you want to be able to live there for free?  No, no, that isn't how things work.
  • That's pretty funny about them getting kicked out.  I haven't seen that one.

I wonder where all their money comes from.   They all live in Winnebagos, but they have the most elaborate weddings I've ever seen. 

What boggles my mind above all else is the skimpy, glittery, expensive outfits these girls go out in to dance to meet husbands.  I don't understand how, as a group of people being repressed who are clinging to their ancient culture, how that counts as "culture."  Oh well.

• image jnc1113:

That's pretty funny about them getting kicked out.  I haven't seen that one.

I wonder where all their money comes from.   They all live in Winnebagos, but they have the most elaborate weddings I've ever seen. 

What boggles my mind above all else is the skimpy, glittery, expensive outfits these girls go out in to dance to meet husbands.  I don't understand how, as a group of people being repressed who are clinging to their ancient culture, how that counts as "culture."  Oh well.

That's not how you met your DH?!?  Wink

• HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  Nah, nothing skimpy that first night...though I may as well have, as lots of liquor was involved and stupidity commenced!!  :)