Minneapolis/St. Paul Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Book Club: The Book Thief Discussion

Hey ladies,

Who was able to read The Book Thief?  Did you like it?  How did it make you feel?

I thought it was incredibly moving, and I cried for probably the last 25 pages.

Re: Book Club: The Book Thief Discussion

• This book hit really close to home for me.  My dad's family is from Germany and came to America shortly after WWII.  I found a lot of similarities between the book and stories that I heard growing up.  My grandparents were farmers and my grandpa was drafted into the German army (eastern front) around the age of 45.  My grandma was left to take care of 8 - 9 kids (depending on the year) on her own.  They were forced to leave their home to avoid bomb raids, and travelled by wagon from town to town as refugees. 

The Book Thief had a lot of moments in it that really made me think about how their day-to-day life would have been, struggling to make ends meet, fearing bomb raids, being forced to be a part of a political system that you don't believe in, and striving to keep your family together.

• I thought it was an extremely powerful book.  The character descriptions and how they were flushed out were quite brilliant in my opinion.  I loved the neighbor woman "made of wire".  It's a weird way to describe someone but totally made sense for her.  And I loved/hated Mama. 

I can't even imagine what it felt like to live through similar situations.  

I would like to think that I'd be one of the people like Papa who was against everything that was happening.  

I also cried the last 20 pages or so.  My heart felt heavy for a couple days after I finished the book.  I don't think I'll ever forget it.

It's amazing someone (the author) can use the same words that everyone else uses but in a way that has such a profound impact.

Excellent book.  Definitely a top 10 for me.

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/ao51eb.jpg[/IMG]
  • I really enjoyed the book.  I think the author did something very unique by having 'Death' narrate it.  Definitely gave it a very different perspective.  I also found it very different to read a WWII story from the German's perspective. 

[center] [IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/2qu7ipz.jpg[/IMG] [/center]

[center] Our 5 year anniversary trip to Peru. [/center]
  • I just read this for my work book club too.  I thought it was interesting to read a book that takes place at the same time as the Holocaust but it was only lightly touched upon.  I'm not sure if that is because of it's audience being "young adult" or if it just isn't meant to be a book about the Holocaust.  I also thought the perspective of it was interesting. 

I kept thinking about how if all foster parents were like "papa", how much better our system would be too!

• Yes the narration by death was really interesting.  I loved the color descriptions and how he (he? she? did it ever say?) spoke about carrying souls.  Definitely a fascinating interpretation of what happens when we die.

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/ao51eb.jpg[/IMG]