Rhode Island Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

What company for car insurance?

I'm looking to save some money on our car insurance.  Can anyone recommend a company that has reasonable rates, and one that is also reliable and easy to work with? 

Re: What company for car insurance?

• AmyRIAmyRI member
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments
    We have Progressive direct. It's been hundreds cheaper than other companies the past few times I've gotten quotes. But, I have no idea how they are after an accident. I've never filed a claim before. Their website is really easy to use for quotes and buying policies, though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have Geico and have for over 5 years with nothing but wonderful things to say about them.
    In MN my insurance for 2 cars, full coverage, was $115/month. In NY it's obviously a lot more, like $220/month. But that's just b/c of where I live.
    They work with us all the time to reduce our rates however they can - next up for us is a defensive driver's course - $30 for the course but we'd save like $100 on the year. And it's an online thing.

We were in an accident - I actually hit a drunk driver, in a rental car, in Texas (while living in Minnesota). Never an issue! I was petrified, as a lawyer, about all the issues that could have arisen but nope - I didn't have to do a thing but verify with my passengers that there were no injuries, give them the contact information for the police department in TX to get the report, and that was it! They dealt w/ National/Alamo, I never saw a rate increase, and it was amazing. We also have glass coverage and that came in handy when someone smashed our window to steal our GPS during our birth classes.... $50 was all I had to pay, and again, no rate increase. I have seen that I can pay a little less per month (like $40/month) savings with State Farm and Esurance, but have heard horrible things about State Farm dropping people after one claim, and Esurance for some reason makes me nervous still. Everyone else has come in more expensive for the coverage levels I have with Geico (have researched Progressive, AllState, Amica, Farmers, The General, and a few others besides State Farm and Esurance).

That's my round up ;-)
    Wife, mom, attorney, blogger, runner - trying to learn to love all the good things in life!!
    "It's not a sprint, it's a marathon." - Alex & Ani bracelet
    My blog: Dodging Acorns
  • we have Amica and have been happy with them...when calling around..they beat everyone by about $200