International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Re: Social experiment with own kids?

• I actually read an article about this family earlier in the week. I think that the parents are taking it to an extreme. I'm sure these parents have good intentions but I just think they've taken it too far.

I'm not a parent so I can only comment on my childhood. I was a total tomboy, I loved working in the garage with my dad, I hated pink, but I loved my barbie dolls. My parents didn't force me to do anything "girly" if I didn't want to. For Halloween I was almost always a "boy costume," my favorites were cowboy and pirate (my mom even gave me facial hair with her makeup and a sponge) so it wasn't like I was trying to be a female version of these things and my parents had no problem with me doing this.

I don't see why the gender has to be a secret, just raise them without forcing male or female on them. You can't control how the outside world treats your kid but you can set the example you want at home. Eventually these children will grow up and have to function in the outside world so I've always thought it was better to prepare a child for the world then hide them from it.

• I read that the other day when it was posted on the Parents board and all I can really say is that I think they are a bunch of hippie crazy cakes.  One of the kids is bound to spill the beans on what the gender is and it's going to come out before the parents hope it too.  

I think they're just being way too extreme on this.  I don't think you need to go as far as what they are doing to ensure their kid isn't gender stereotyped. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I saw a video about this on the Todayshow. I agree with PP. They are taking this to an extreme. However, I agree how they are raising their other kids. They dont hide their gender, but they allow them to dress how they want and play with the toys that they want.

I think the kid in the future is going to have some problems. We shouldnt try to confuse kids just for our own social experiment.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagedulcemariamar1:

We shouldnt try to confuse kids just for our own social experiment.

This is the crux of it.

imageimage
  • I know there was a couple in Sweden who did this a couple of years ago. By the time of that article, the kid was already a couple years old (3 or 4 or so). I never heard/read about them afterwards, so I don't know how that ended. Anyways, this crazy couple isn't the first couple to try it, and I wonder if they knew about that Swedish kid and if they found out that the child is thriving, or not so much. 

I read the story somewhere else as well and this couple seems a couple notches crazier than the Swedish couple though Co-sleeping with the entire family? REally? I can see co-sleeping with infants (though it wouldn't be my choice) and having the kid in your bed when he/she is sick, but how the hell is it healthy for anyone in your family if everyone sleeps together all the time. That means either no romance for the parents, or children who watch you do it, or quickies in the bathroom while the kids aren't looking? What's up with that? 

My food blog

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers < br />

What I'm looking forward to in 2012:

eating our way through (northern) Italy on vacation.

Eating our way through (northern) Italy on vacation

<a href="http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Home D
  • imageNLfoodie:

That means either no romance for the parents, or children who watch you do it, or quickies in the bathroom while the kids aren't looking? What's up with that?

No it doesn't. Sleeping in the same room doesn't mean everyone's awake and asleep and in the same room all the time. I have never understood this claim, but maybe we're just more creative than other people.

Not that we intend to keep this up for years on end like they do, but "no romance" is not my issue with it.

• imagelorryfach:
    imageNLfoodie:

That means either no romance for the parents, or children who watch you do it, or quickies in the bathroom while the kids aren't looking? What's up with that?

No it doesn't. Sleeping in the same room doesn't mean everyone's awake and asleep and in the same room all the time. I have never understood this claim, but maybe we're just more creative than other people.

Not that we intend to keep this up for years on end like they do, but "no romance" is not my issue with it.

The reason I personally claim this, is that I was woken up by my mom's escapades fairly often as a kid and we weren't even in the same room. As a baby/toddler certainly not, but I actually recall (around age 7) waking up, walking in and wondering/asking why they were making those sounds and what they were doing... If I'd been in the same bed I'm sure I would've needed much, much therapy ;) 

My food blog

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers < br />

What I'm looking forward to in 2012:

eating our way through (northern) Italy on vacation.

Eating our way through (northern) Italy on vacation

<a href="http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Home D