October 2009 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

IUD Questions (kinda long)

I know this question gets asked fairly frequently, but I am need of some personal opinions and experiences.  I'm considering getting an IUD (I don't know that I have a preference between Paragard or Mirena at this point) and would like to hear how you feel about it.  I like the Paragard option b/c of no hormones, the length of time it covers you for (we aren't having kids), the convenience, etc.  I've only ever heard of people having Mirena though.

Before I call my gyn & start the ball rolling I wanted to see how people felt about this or the Mirena.  I've had to be on some type of BCP since I was 16 and I'm just tired of it.  Its the only RX that I'm currently on and since we aren't having kids I would just as soon like to be med free if possible.

Right now I'm on Yaz and out of all the bcps I've taken for the past 15+ years its my favorite.  However, the biggest drawbacks are the fact that I have to take a pill every day, and that I essentially have two periods a month.  At exactly the 2 week mark in every pack I spot; its not usually enough to warrant a tampon but enough that its noticeable.  Then that whole thing lasts anywhere from a few days to a week.  Then I start my "normal" period.  I've tried dozens of different pills, the ring, the patch, you name it.

My gyn has mentioned the IUD option a few times in the past and I've only not done it b/c I'm a little scared/nervous about the whole procedure and the after parts (I've heard both good and bad stories from several people).  So what's your opinion, please??  TIA!

ETA:  I've never been pregnant.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Visit The Nest! PitaPata Cat tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: IUD Questions (kinda long)

• If you know you don't want kids, do it.  (I was on yaz in its previous form and HATED it it, partly due to the mid cycle spotting and it made me a crying sobby mess for the second half.  After my first 3 packs that I got with my prescription I was back in the OB/Gyn office asking for new meds)  I am considering it as an option down the road between kids myself since I'd like to eventually breastfeed and even the mini pill makes me a little apprehensive in those circumstances. From what I've read, there is some crampy discomfort immediately following insertion and a lot of folks have some odd cycles/spotting for a bit until their bod settles down. 

If you know you don't want kids though, would your DH consider getting a vasectomy?  Then nobody is on meds long term and you don't have to worry about the timeline of the IUD.  lol, once DH and I are done adding to our family, that is the route we'll be doing which makes DH a little squirmy but he understands that it is less invasive than tube tying and doesn't require modifying my hormones long term.

• image wittyschaffy:

If you know you don't want kids, do it.  (I was on yaz in its previous form and HATED it it, partly due to the mid cycle spotting and it made me a crying sobby mess for the second half.  After my first 3 packs that I got with my prescription I was back in the OB/Gyn office asking for new meds)  I am considering it as an option down the road between kids myself since I'd like to eventually breastfeed and even the mini pill makes me a little apprehensive in those circumstances. From what I've read, there is some crampy discomfort immediately following insertion and a lot of folks have some odd cycles/spotting for a bit until their bod settles down. 

If you know you don't want kids though, would your DH consider getting a vasectomy?  Then nobody is on meds long term and you don't have to worry about the timeline of the IUD.  lol, once DH and I are done adding to our family, that is the route we'll be doing which makes DH a little squirmy but he understands that it is less invasive than tube tying and doesn't require modifying my hormones long term.

We have tried this route.  The dr's in our area will not do it.  We were basically told by multiple dr's that they wouldn't do it b/c (a) we didn't have kids, (b) we could change our minds down the road, (c) H is "too young to make such a big decision".  I don't have a problem w/ dr's sharing their opinions, but I don't like them playing like they know what we want better than we do.

If we both are there and we agree that we understand what they are doing (hell I would even sign a waiver while he was getting it done agreeing that I get what this means) but they said no way.

I think I'm def leaning towards Mirena b/c from what I've read it seems to be pretty low dose hormone-wise and that is good enough for me.  I just want to get this done sooner than later.

For those of you that have had it or know someone who did, do you know what the cost was?  I need to call my insurance carrier to double check this but I always feel more confused after calling them.  I appreciate the info so far!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Visit The Nest! PitaPata Cat tickers PitaPata Dog tickers
  • I used to be a patient educator at a very "popular" nationwide clinic and educated/observed several IUD insertions.  Of all the girls who had an IUD inserted over the almost 3 years I worked there, I only saw maybe 3-4 come back and have it removed....and most if not all of those girls were really young (who had it removed) and said they could not handle the cramping/pain.  They give you meds to soften your cervix and also give you meds to help with the pain.  The procedure is very quick and never did a girl freak out, fall off the table in pain...etc.  Yes there can be problems such as when the doctor gets in there the IUD may be hard to insert if your uterus is tilted a certain way....but they won't know that until they get in there (does get in there sound bad?)...  Most girls were able to go to work right after the procedure and did experience cramping and bleeding.  But again, only a few came back to have it removed. 

I was considering getting one about a year ago but now want to have kids in the next few years...I also took YAZ before and hated it. 

• Also, a lot of doctors now are inserting with the aid of an ultrasound so they can "watch" what they're doing.  My doctor, for example, only inserts them with u/s. 
    Matt loves Munkii!!!
  • Well there ya go....gotta love technology Big Smile  I worked at the clinic back in the day....did things the "old school" way...
  • Uhh - your area Drs. are complete buttheads.  So they think that turning you down for that procedure makes things better by forcing you to either be on the pill from now until menopause or else have wires stuck into your uterus?  Or worse - having one of those methods fail and you two having to figure out what you want to do about that whole scenario?  lol, I'm way too unafraid of confrontation to let that one slip casually by. 

You are over 18 aren't you?  And of sound mind and able to make medical decisions for yourselves?  And legally able to do so?  Yeah... pretty sure they don't get the ultimate decision on that one.

• image wittyschaffy:

Uhh - your area Drs. are complete buttheads.  So they think that turning you down for that procedure makes things better by forcing you to either be on the pill from now until menopause or else have wires stuck into your uterus?  Or worse - having one of those methods fail and you two having to figure out what you want to do about that whole scenario?  lol, I'm way too unafraid of confrontation to let that one slip casually by. 

You are over 18 aren't you?  And of sound mind and able to make medical decisions for yourselves?  And legally able to do so?  Yeah... pretty sure they don't get the ultimate decision on that one.

Its so effing frustrating, I agree!!  The worse part is that its not like we're 20 years old here.  I'm going to be 32 in a few months.  Yes, 32!  I think we know dam* well whether or not we want kids at this point in our lives ya know?  We have tried to push the issue multiple times (and I really hope no one takes offense to this) but it was almost like the dr's wanted to play god.  The issue is that above all, we can't force them to do it, either.

I'm going to try and call my ins co this weekend to find out how much this is going to cost b/c I'm just done spending the money on pills and having two periods a month.

• No offense taken here.  My sister is a doctor and she's told me how much of a struggle it is sometimes for her to separate herself from her professional opinion.  Doctors are trained to be certain about their decisions/opinions on things, know what I mean?  I can see how sometimes they get "my way of the highway" because that is how they've totally been trained to work.  It isn't really anyones fault that a lot of them are like that because in their chosen profession, we look to them for answers and it doesn't go well to hear "I don't know" or "I'm not sure". They need to be 110% behind their opinion.

With reproductive choices, I get that some doctors may morally oppose certain procedures and treatments for patients and they are entitled to feel that way, but that doesn't give them the authority to say you can't do something.  They can respectfully abstain from providing a service though and I can respect that of them.  In those cases, in my humble opinion, they can and SHOULD refer you to someone who can help you.

• image munkii:
    Also, a lot of doctors now are inserting with the aid of an ultrasound so they can "watch" what they're doing.  My doctor, for example, only inserts them with u/s. 

Munkii is correct about the u/s. My doc inserted mine with the u/s...it was really quick.

I would recommend mirena without reservation. I had mine inserted probably 3 months ago and it is amazing not to worry about taking a pill or using a condom (not that we have much time to even do things that warrant protection right now anyway :p). 

There was a bit of discomfort when it was inserted (a pinching), but I didn't have any kind of meds to soften anything...maybe because I'm breastfeeding? I also didn't get any pain meds, likely for the same reason.

I honestly didn't need them, though, it was very mild cramping not unlike a period. I think I spotted for maybe the rest of the day/the next and then it was fine. I haven't had a period since it was inserted, but I'm still breastfeeding so that is more likely the culprit (also, in case anyone is interested, the low dose of hormones is centralized so it didn't cause my milk supply to decrease, unlike most hormonal birth control).

I went in during my lunch hour and went back to work after. I was totally fine. I haven't had any issues with it what so ever. I have never been happier with a type of birth control in my life!

• I had the Paraguard, and would reccomend the Mirena. Here's why- my periods were SO terrible on the paraguard (2 weeks long, and I firmly believed I was bleeding to death every time). I managed it for 3 years and in February, had it removed. I'm back on the pill for a few months, but DH is scheduled for a vas on 6/3. Can't wait!

Mirena- I had my daughter have it inserted- it's been almost a year, and she's great. She's only 17, so it was a little tricky with the insertion, but priceless in the end. She has light periods, and has pretty much forgotten she has it. (I told her to tell her boyfriends she ISN'T on BC, to keep them god fearing and condom wearing). 

• I also don't have any first hand experience but I know I would have went that route for sure if the Mr's Dr had denied him a vasectomy. I believe that anything that helps ease the nusance of having to take an everyday birth control is worth a try, especially if you know you do not want children. Why hassle with something when there are options to make it so you don't have to....erm, I mean the pill, not the children Tongue Tied
    Photobucket