Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Tiff, your extreme coupon competition!

So there's this house that has a garage sale every year. I have gone to it the past 3 years and the first year I went I had to ask if they owned a convienent store that went out of business or something because there was so much stuff for sale and all lined up/grouped together such as lotion, shampoo/cond, razors, glade candles, fruit snacks, diapers, condoms, deoderant, toothpaste, etc. Come to find out that the lady is a HUGE couponer. Well Jess SCB and I went this morning and before we stopped there, we hit up the one across the street. Their neighbors were telling us that last year the lady made $4,000 dollars at her last sale!!!! Her hubby also quit his job and basically buys things to sell on ebay. I guess he hits up goodwills, etc. and finds Seven jeans, Citizens, stuff like that and then sells it. They have a sheet hanging up in their garage and behind it is all the stuff that is packaged and ready to be shipped out so once it's paid for, the wife goes and grabs it and mails it. I've seen it, it's nuts!

What's even more nuts to me is the fact that both the hubby and wife basically coupon/buy/sell and don't have real jobs. Somehow they afford their mortgage and bills every month but I just want to know how!

So there's your EC competition :)

Holly

Re: Tiff, your extreme coupon competition!

• By the way, totally illegal to be doing what she is doing (buying it all for next to nothing and turning around and selling it for profit). I don't think the companies would be too happy to hear about that.
    Holly
  • The way you're describing this person it might be a family we know.  I would be curious to know their neighborhood!
  • It's my neighborhood, Deerwood/Avalon (I'm in Deerwood).
    Holly
  • image hvanack:
    By the way, totally illegal to be doing what she is doing (buying it all for next to nothing and turning around and selling it for profit). I don't think the companies would be too happy to hear about that.

Ya I'm guessing they do this all tax free too!

• image LindsaymR:

image hvanack:
    By the way, totally illegal to be doing what she is doing (buying it all for next to nothing and turning around and selling it for profit). I don't think the companies would be too happy to hear about that.

Ya I'm guessing they do this all tax free too!

I don't know about the legality of reselling items, but I'm thinking they're probably not paying taxes, either.

• yeah, thats probably not legal. Especially if selling things on ebay and selling things to the public are your sole income.

Not a tax expert, but somewhere I think I read that there is a dollar limit in which if you exceed it selling things, then you have to declare it a business and pay taxes.

Nice.

• image tiff-n-nick:

yeah, thats probably not legal. Especially if selling things on ebay and selling things to the public are your sole income.

Not a tax expert, but somewhere I think I read that there is a dollar limit in which if you exceed it selling things, then you have to declare it a business and pay taxes.

Nice.

I believe you can be paid up to $599.00 and not have to claim taxes, anything over that and you do.  Someone correct me if I am wrong?

• $599 is for 1099 work which really wouldn't count since they aren't employed by Ebay or anything. If you are self-employed you are supposed to claim if your income is over $400. Either way, they should technically be claiming. But who knows if they file taxes and just make stuff up or if the IRS will ever actually come audit them.