Northern California Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Pet insurance?

Anyone have it? What do you think? Is it worth it? And can I ask how much you pay? What company do you use?

We just got walloped with another big vet bill. I keep thinking that this will be the last time and that we won't have any other large bills, so it would be a waste. But I'm getting the impression our little guy may be prone to urinary tract problems for the rest of his life. We have three otherwise healthy cats.

My favorite place on earth: The Amargosa Valley.

Re: Pet insurance?

• No but considering we have 2 cats and a dog, we should look into it. Although I kind of hesitate because MIL works at a vet hospital and they have pretty low prices this side of our county so we get a family discount, but it's 15 minutes away. I know there is a pet hospital around the corner from us but have no idea what they charge.

I hope your cat feels better soon. 

Me (33)& DX: DOR, FSH-20.3; DH(28):SA=normal 8/11 HSG= clear!
    IUI #1 10/12/11 (Bravelle + HCG + Prometrium & acupuncture) = 10/26 BFP! Beta #1=250, Beta #2= 615. 1st u/s 11/8. image Visit The Nest! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No, but I've considered it... Just thinking in the future if we ever got a big bill... We are so attached to Laila that I would be willing to fork out huge amounts of money, so I'm wondering if I should get some now.
  • No but I have looked into it. To me it is expensive and for some things, it is not covered. I doubt I would get it now since our oldest is 17 yrs old and our youngest is 6 yrs old.

When we get hit from a big vet bill (when are they ever small anyways?!?), we use our efund.

TTC since June 2009
    DX: MFI June 2010 & DOR Sept 2011
    Various forms of medicated cycles since June 2010
    IVF #1 tentatively scheduled for 2013
    Doing acupuncture and focus on weight loss in the meantime

S/PAIF welcome

[img]http://i54.tinypic.com/zsk41e.jpg[/img]

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/33c5hxy.jpg[/IMG]
  • I do not have it. But a friend of mine that has 3 cats does. she likes it because they have annual check-ups just like people. also teeth cleanings and other "maintainence" things that are included with the insurance so she says it makes it worth it. 

[url="http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=breastfeeder&utm_medium=ubb&utm_campaign=badges"][img]http://images.thenestbaby.com/badges/tb_sig_ebf.gif [/img][/url]
  • We had it through Pet's Best, and I let it lapse. We were paying something like $600 a year, and not going through nearly that much in vet costs. For us, it wasn't worth it.
  • We don't have it so I'm not much help on price. Just curious though, how high was the bill? We have a cat that has had a UTI twice and it didn't run any more than a couple hundred bucks. That included them sticking a needle into the bladder to withdraw fluid, antibiotics and doctors appt.
    ****missing my little angel since 11/28/12 (m/c 8.4 weeks)**** Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We have trupanion. It is 35 month 80%reimbursement, no deductible. You can pay less monthly if you have a deductible.
    IMG_1373 Cool Winston
  • I think it's most beneficial for puppies or kittens, not adult animals. Our company has it offered, and it's VPI.
  • anneganneg member
    Ancient Membership

we have it through aspca and i am kind of torn.  first off, there are different levels of coverage, so we have the one that covers illness and accidents, but not routine things like vaccinations, etc. there's a 10% discount for all pets insured after the first pet.  we decided to get pet insurance after spending $1300 on surgeries for our two cats one year.

on the one hand, if something huge comes up it's nice to know it's there.  on the other, while it technically reimburses at 80%, just like any other insurance company they decide what price is "reasonable & customary" and deduct the "overage", then do the reimbursement.  so it actually works out to between 55 - 65%.  that's still better than nothing but i'm not sure we're always breaking even or coming out ahead, though we definitely did the one year.  we'll definitely keep it for the dog, since she is 13, and probably for the indoor-outdoor cats, since they have a better chance of being injured, but i think i'm going to cancel it for the kittens.  we plan to keep them as indoor cats so their chances for injury are less, though illness i suppose is the same.

since i cannot remember the password for our acct i can't tell you how much we're paying a month but when they email me the new one, i'll send you a pm.

great blasket island, co. kerry, ireland june 2011
  • I looked into it a few years ago and didnt think it was worth it but maybe things have changed. Mostly because they dont cover routine vac or appointments. They do cover accidents or unexpected illness I believe.

However, Kaylee had double knee surgery and that would not have been covered because it was genetic. If she had an accident, then yes, but because she was born with it.. they would not have covered it. I think there may be one policy out there that covers things like this.. but its expensive. I can't remember.

So, for us.. not worth it.

• We have pet insurance for our dog. When we got her, we talked to our vet about it and he basically said it's generally useless for routine stuff but really good to have if something big happens (like dog gets hit by a car or gets cancer and needs major/repeated surgeries). So we have it but haven't used it much so far.

We got it through this company. I don't remember how much the premium is since DH pays it.

• My ex-sil looked into it and found that if you have pet insurance you have to go to very specific clinics to have your animal treated and can't just pick any vet. Now that may have changed since she first looked into it but that's why she and my brother decided against it.
  • image mandy0505:
    We don't have it so I'm not much help on price. Just curious though, how high was the bill? We have a cat that has had a UTI twice and it didn't run any more than a couple hundred bucks. That included them sticking a needle into the bladder to withdraw fluid, antibiotics and doctors appt.

Nearly $600, but I imagine mostly because we took him to the emergency vet at 1 a.m. and they couldn't get any pee out of him so they took x-rays to see if bladders stones were blocking him. The x-rays were the kickers.

We know he's going to have to have three teeth removed fairly soon, and I'm guessing this isn't the last of the urinary problems. But then again, what if nothing happens for years?

Edit: Our vet recommends something called the Care Card? Something like a credit card, but different. I dunno, I should look into it.

My favorite place on earth: The Amargosa Valley.
  • We had VPI.  It is great if you get it early on because things recorded by the vet are pre existing conditions.  We were really happy with our insurance.  We had really large vet bills and they definitely helped.  We will get insurance for our next pet too.  VPI is good, but there are better out there with better coverage.

As for the Care Card, we used it for a surgery for one of our dogs.  We changed vets shortly after and I don't think they took the card.  We never used it again and cancelled it.  I do think that card can be used at other places though.

• image MrsJulieT:
    My ex-sil looked into it and found that if you have pet insurance you have to go to very specific clinics to have your animal treated and can't just pick any vet. Now that may have changed since she first looked into it but that's why she and my brother decided against it.

This is not true for our insurance, though if you have a favorite vet, always good to double check if they take the insurance you have.

• This might also be a good question for the pets board (or you can see if you could find it in their faqs).  We don't have any pet insurance.  If we could utilize it to help with some of the annual stuff, man that would be nice.  Rustie just went in for vaccines and a heartworm test to the tune of $136 today.  Cozy needs her teeth cleaned I learned during her and Shug's check ups and vaccinations a couple weeks ago.  The check up was $200 (2 cats), and the teeth cleaning will run $350...not to mention she's only 5, so there's a good chance she'll need her teeth cleaned several more times throughout her life.  And since she and Shug are littermates, I wonder if he'll need to have his done soon.  Ugh.  I feel like I should start a separate savings account just for vet bills.  As it is, we are ALWAYS over budget on the pets the months there are any checkups, vaccinations, etc.  It definitely comes out of savings.  And we've (fortunately) only had one major e-vet issue (snake bite), and that only cost us about $300 total.  So yeah, we haven't determined that for what you get that it's worth it for us.  But with your cat's health conditions, I can see why you're looking into it.  Pets really are expensive!!!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers