I posted this on Ryan's birth month board, but thought some of the moms over here might have had to deal with this.
Since the new SIDS info came out in the 90s, doctors are seeing tons more cases of head flatness, due to being on their backs so much. Ryan has what I would consider to be a mild flattening all over (you can notice it in profile pictures) and he has a slightly more sloping in of a flatness on the back right side of his head (the left side is more rounded) because he favors that side for whatever reason.
The pediatrician basically says it's mild and that we should talk with the helmet people and decide, that he doesn't have a strong opinion. We met with the helmet people this morning and, of course, they say we should do it. They clearly are biased because they're selling a product.
They showed us a bunch of before and after pictures, and they were all more severe cases than Ryan. But this kind of assymetry CAN cause certain issues down the line because the bones and everything grow slightly out of line (so it can cause TMJ, deviated septums, etc).
Each band is $3800 and some babies need more than one because they are fitted to the head as the corrections take effect. We're currently researching whether insurance will cover it, but likely it won't because many consider it to be a cosmetic procedure.
I don't feel like I can get an unbiased opinion from the helmet people and my ped isn't being particularly helpful. We need ot make the decision soon becuase if we're going to do it, it really needs to be done now before his growth really slows down. The longer we wait, the longer he would have to wear it and the less effective the treatment will be.
The helmet is very lightweight. But he has to wear it 23 hours of the day for probably 10-12 weeks.
It can cause heat rashes, which Ryan is already prone to and gets regularly. Plus, it's heating up already. We're going to hit 96 degrees on Saturday! So I hate to do this to him in the heat, but by the time it cools it, it will be too late to do it.
But I don't want him to look abnormal and I would hate for him to develop jaw issues or something down the road just because I didn't want to spend the money. On the other hand, $3,800 is a LOT of money, and that's a lot to waste if it's not necessary.
Any one have any feedback or advice? Anyone do this? Anyone research it and decide not to do it?Thanks so much. Sorry this was so long. I'm sort of obsessing about it at the moment.