Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

telling work I'm pg

As most of you know because I didn't shut up about it, I recently started working again.  I'm in the middle of my third week here.  Here's my dilemma, as soon as the offer was made to me through my recruiter, I alerted my recruiter to my situation.  He said he'd run it by his contact at my new company.

Fast forward to the Friday before I start and I find out he never told them, because they said to wait until after 13 weeks "just in case something happens."  (Wishful thinking much? d-bag)  Now I'm 12 weeks, I have my u/s next week and I'm going to tell them, but I have no idea how to approach this.  I messaged Tiana on fb because I remember her having a situation incredibly similar to mine, but I figured I'd reach out since I know there are a number of HR folks around.

PS - Two things that should be noted: first, I am contract employee so company isn't paying my salary, recruitment firm is.  Second, I really really like it here and want to continue after a standard 12 week ML.

Re: telling work I'm pg

• image jessica0602:

PS - Two things that should be noted: first, I am contract employee so company isn't paying my salary, recruitment firm is.  Second, I really really like it here and want to continue after a standard 12 week ML.

Butting in and sorry, I have no answer to your question, but is 12 weeks of maternity leave standard?  We only get 6 weeks (or 8 for a CS) and I have to take a week of my personal time as part of those 6 weeks. 

#1  12.11.11
    #2  10.23.13 EDD
  • image JenD1018:
    image jessica0602:

Butting in and sorry, I have no answer to your question, but is 12 weeks of maternity leave standard?  We only get 6 weeks (or 8 for a CS) and I have to take a week of my personal time as part of those 6 weeks. 

It's more a standard of what women usually take, as opposed to what's covered.  At this point, I am 100% planning on an unpaid leave.  Some places cover you for 6 or 12 weeks and then you have to use STD for the rest of whatever you want to take.

• image JenD1018:
    image jessica0602:

There is really no standard for paid maternity leave because most companies don't even offer it, however; in PA you get 12 weeks unpaid leave through FMLA.  As long as you have been an employee for 12 months (I think) you have the right to that time.   

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • re: marernity leave

tell them what you want but expect them to say no

• image Shannon1110:

There is really no standard for paid maternity leave because most companies don't even offer it, however; in PA you get 12 weeks unpaid leave through FMLA.  As long as you have been an employee for 12 months (I think) you have the right to that time.   

That is correct. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the contracting company is not required to offer you time off under the FMLA laws because you will have delivered the baby before you reached 12 months of employment. Also, depending upon the size of the contracting/recruiting company you are working for, they may be exempt from FMLA requirements.

From googling: Employers required to honor FMLA must grant their employees time off if they have been with their current employer for 12 months or more and have worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12 months heading into their leave request. The requirement comes totals about 24 hours a week. Additionally, at least 50 company employees must work within 75 miles of the employer.

• image Shannon1110:
    image JenD1018:
    image jessica0602:

Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification.  So, in essence, I could take up to 18 weeks total with 6 being paid and 12 unpaid, or 6 paid and 6 unpaid for 12 weeks total?

#1  12.11.11
    #2  10.23.13 EDD
  • image JenD1018:
    image Shannon1110:
    image JenD1018:
    image jessica0602:

Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification.  So, in essence, I could take up to 18 weeks total with 6 being paid and 12 unpaid, or 6 paid and 6 unpaid for 12 weeks total?

No you get 12 weeks total, regardless if any of that time is paid or not.  I know it's confusing.  I had 8 weeks paid off with STD, but I was considered to be on FMLA leave as of my first day out of work even though I was on STD.  The killer about FMLA though is that after 12 weeks, even if you're still on disability because of a health problem your company can legally fire you.  That's what happened to me.

• image JenD1018:
    image Shannon1110:
    image JenD1018:
    image jessica0602:

Depends upon the company's rules. At my place, any extended leave (surgery, maternity, caring for a family member) is maxed out at 12 weeks per 12-month period.  In order to be paid, you must draw down from your sick and vacation time. Once that runs out, you may "borrow" from the next year's time or take the rest unpaid. If we want to get paid after that, we have the option to purchase a separate, short-term disability policy, but that also has a 12-month waiting period, too.

For many companies, FMLA is not another "paid time off" code; it simply describes the protection you have while on an extended leave of absence.

• image JenD1018:
    image Shannon1110:
    image JenD1018:
    image jessica0602:

Not really. If you and your company meet the previously mentioned criteria for Federal FMLA, your company is required to hold your job - or one of similar grade and same pay - for 12 weeks.  In your case it would be 6 weeks paid, 6 weeks unpaid.

If your company is willing to give you more unpaid time while holding your job then I think you're good. But FMLA only protects your job for 12 weeks AFTER the birth of the child.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • also, some companies do not pay ANYTHING for maternity leave... My SIL gets 12 weeks off (under FMLA- not paid) and 6 weeks are paid at 2/3 under STD... the other 6 weeks she is unpaid... or in shorthand 6 weeks STD, 6 weeks SOL.  SOME companies do pay some weeks or you can use vacation weeks to cover the weeks that you are unpaid. 

To get back to your original question though I would go to the boss and explain the situation honestly.  That you would love to come back and work there after ML and also go back to the recruiter and ask him why he didn't tell the employer despite saying he would.  I'd be hesitant to point the finger at the recruiter because you don't want to ruin that relationship either.  

imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• It pisses me off that maternity leave is like a dirty little secret at work.  My company didn't even mention one word about it in the handbook.  They almost make it so you're afraid to ask because it calls attention to the fact you may decide to have a kid one day, god forbid.

I've never worked at a job where maternity leave was explained or discussed. 

• and as someone else said, most STD plans require that you are on them for 12 months before you can use them. 
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Like pp mentioned, you are not covered under FMLA until you have been employed for 1 year (if employer has >50 employees).

Most STD/LTD plans have pre-existing clauses (which is very much legal), so if you already knew (aka visited a doc to confirm) you were pg when you were hired/enrolled in benefits, most likely you will not be covered for a paid STD leave.

Your options are probably to use up any PTO you may have, and take unpaid leave after that.  Your job is not guaranteed to be there for you when you decide to return to work.

Talk to the HR people at your "employer" (recruitment firm) to see what your options are.  Also talk to your manager (at physical job) to see what the possibilities are for you to take leave and return to working there after.

Besides a lump time off for delivery and after, also inquire about regular doc appointments and how intermittent time off should be handled.  Can you take a few hours or days off without much penalty/firing?  

• PS - I'm going to butt out now, but if you have more Q's page me on TK.  I do actually work in HR.
  • The company I am at now I am FT and there are a ton of contractors/consultants who are through recruiting firms. There is one girl who after she started in October got pregant and it was planned. She was laid off for a year and she was so happy to be working she didnt really think it through. Anyway fast forward to March and she is having a tough pregnancy missing lots of days and may go on bed rest. Her chances of getting a position are slim sadly. She is not there enough and when she is she is sick. I am not sure what will happen but I am pretty sure her contract in May will not be renewed. 
  • i was in a very similar situation.  i got the job offer days after i found out that i was pregnant- hadn't even seen a doctor yet.  i work in consulting so we make money by selling our services/people to other companies. 

i decided to wait to tell my boss until ~13 or 14 weeks.  he was happy for me and we did the hr thing.  while i am not covered under fmla i have a great relationship with the clients and i have agreed to be "available" while on maternity leave.  so i will use std and some time off, but i will also be working from home a bit.  when you talk to the recruiting company ask if that is an option for you to extend to your clients.  it will make the clients happy and it will protect you a bit since you don't have the guarantee of 12 weeks. 

i am still not 100% sure i will have a job when i get back but i am 99.999% sure.  make your clients happy and the company would be stupid to try to let you go.   

eta: pm or facebook me if you need to chat.  i know how nerve wracking it can be.

• image Shannon1110:

It pisses me off that maternity leave is like a dirty little secret at work.  My company didn't even mention one word about it in the handbook.  They almost make it so you're afraid to ask because it calls attention to the fact you may decide to have a kid one day, god forbid.

Ditto.  In fact, anything pregnancy-related (including healthcare coverage) is not listed in any company materials.  I have to call HR when it's time to discuss it.

Wouldn't it be nice, like some European countries, that give you up to a full year of maternity leave and job security?

#1  12.11.11
    #2  10.23.13 EDD
  • image JenD1018:
    image Shannon1110:

It pisses me off that maternity leave is like a dirty little secret at work.  My company didn't even mention one word about it in the handbook.  They almost make it so you're afraid to ask because it calls attention to the fact you may decide to have a kid one day, god forbid.

Ditto.  In fact, anything pregnancy-related (including healthcare coverage) is not listed in any company materials.  I have to call HR when it's time to discuss it.

Wouldn't it be nice, like some European countries, that give you up to a full year of maternity leave and job security?

There is a girl in my business unit in the UK and she is out on a year's paid maternity leave. She's using that time to go on vacation and pretty much travel all over the place. It makes me so angry at what little we get here, if any, in the US. I know the UK, for example, is all about promoting healthy babies and breast feeding so that is why their ML is so long. We apparently hate healthy babies here.

I'll also agree with the maternity leave crap being such a secret. I emailed and called my HR people a few months ago in my building and they would NOT give me an answer! They told me I had to call the benefits hotline in India for me to find out how long my maternity leave could be.  I've been procrastinating about it and still don't really know how long I'm going to get because I don't feel like calling India to find out. Completely ridic.

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt116b04.aspx[/img][/url]
  • image Shannon1110:

This is exactly how it is at my company too. Pisses me off.

• Because I work at a larger institution, everything is clearly spelled out for us. We get 6 weeks for vaginal and 8 weeks for c/s. The only way you get paid, is to use all your sick, vacation, and personal time. Once that runs out, it's unpaid. Through FMLA we are protected and allowed to take up to 12 weeks. Still unpaid though.

• i'm here! boo, i have no fb access @ work! i just told my boss the situation (like day 3 working here!) and let him know that i planned on coming back. (although they technically aren't allowed to ask you that) I was not eligible for FMLA, but i was eligible for STD and my job has a leave program "maternity bonding" which gave me an additional 4 weeks of paid time off. Group policies vary with STD so definitely check with your hr peeps.
    image Ridin dirty
  • Our ML is also clearly spelled out. Its not a secret and you can read about it in the online manual.

I find it shocking that its such a secret elsewhere.

My little nuggets

• image jessicah628:
    image Shannon1110:

This is exactly how it is at my company too. Pisses me off.

Ditto and I work for the government. Even up to the day I delivered I was completely clueless on how much paid maternity time I was receiving. It was found that (like others) STD only covers 6 week vaginal and 8 weeks for a c/s. There was a 30 day waiting period for the benefits to kick in leaving only 2 or 4 weeks of STD which will be paid-out. HOWEVER, if you have sick time that has to be used before the STD will be established and in my case I had 7 1/2 weeks of sick time so in essence I never received any STD benefits.

The one nice thing that is offered through my contract is that they extend the maternity leave to 6 months (unpaid) which I happily took. I know this is rare but was really fortunate to have that opportunity.

• Our company is fairly young...10 years (is that young?) and there is only 6 of us so there really was never anything written out in the handbook because there was no need to yet I guess. When my coworker got pregnant, things were written out.

We get 12 weeks unpaid and can use our personal paid days if we wanted. I thought that was generous since we didn't exactly fall under the FMLA category because we're a small company. I wouldn't mind the year off that some parts of the world get though!

• image Kernel14:

Our ML is also clearly spelled out. Its not a secret and you can read about it in the online manual.

I find it shocking that its such a secret elsewhere.

I can't speak for others, but the time off I get is very clear in my contract. However, what, if anything, is paid out was the problem. HR never seemed to have a clue what amount of paid time I was suppose to receive. This is where the disconnect was for me at least.

• Just FYI, for FMLA, in order for your company to comply with I'm *pretty sure* you have to be a company of at least 50 employees. This I was super bummed about. Second, it's spelled out very clearly what we get for ML. My boss has been fantastic and we've worked out great options (if) I want to come back, but I get 6 weeks paid ML.

Good luck!

• Your recruiter annoys me, he was only concerned in getting his commission from your placement and I would have no qualms about putting it back on him for not telling them when he said he would.  It was your decision on if you wanted others to know before 13 weeks. 

But, since you can't change the past, I would tell your boss the news and what your plan is and go from there.  As others said, you aren't going to be covered by FMLA, so the "standard 12 week ML" goes out the window.  I'm pretty sure it is up to the place where your working to decide what they will do for you and not the recruiting firm.  Basically, the recruiting firm can't tell them what to do about filling/not filling your position. 

DD: 6-24-11

EDD: 9-20-14

• Update: yesterday I decided to just bite the bullet and tell my boss.  He congratulated me and wished me luck.  He's an older man, maybe 60's-ish, so he was sort of hard to get a real read on.  I'm deciding to take him at face value and believe he is happy for me, ha.  I told him that I knew, but my recruiter told me not to say anything and that I really like it here, plan to work until I deliver and fully intend to come back after a leave.

At this point I'm going to wait and see what happens.  I think that's all I can do.  Thanks for all of the advice.