Grand Rapids Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

*Diana P*

So how the F was Sweden?  I know very little about the Scandanavian countries so I'm curious what it was like to vacation there.  :-)

Re: *Diana P*

• Sorry in advance that this will be long! 

It was a fantastic trip! From what I know about your travel style, I think you would love Scandanvavia.  We flew nonstop Chicago to Copenhagen, spent our first night in Copenhagen, then took a 40 minute train ride to Lund in southern Sweden, where our friends live.  The next afternoon, we flew to Stockholm for 4 days/3nights and then flew back to Lund for another few days before flying home from Copenhagen. 

The weather and topography is very similar to Michigan.  Southern Sweden has lots of rolling farmland.  Stockholm was a fast paced, bustling city with lots of shopping.  The culture is very active and outdoorsy, so you can do things like running tours of the city and pedestrians have right of way everywhere (both in cities and in the country they have the right to walk over or camp on any land as long as they are not destructive).  Some of the highlights for us were visiting the palace and treasury, spending some time along the Baltic Sea, and touring some very old buildings and cathedrals.

Copenhagen is great, too.  Lots of great restaurants and shopping.  Copenhagen has a very happy, laid back sort of feel.  This city also has a huge running culture.  Unfortunately, jet lag prevented me from doing a planned 10km run around the lakes. 

If you're interested, L has posted pics on FB, so if you go to my profile you should be able see some of the photos he took.

• Maybe this should have been obvious, but I had no idea that you could take a train from Denmark to Sweden.  Cool.

I saw that L had uploaded photos, but I haven't had a chance to go through them yet.  Looking forward to it.

Thanks for posting this review.  Sweden sounds great.  Glad to hear that you had a nice trip!

• Man, that sounds amazing.  I obviously love that it seems so "outdoorsy" there and that there's a big running presence.  For whatever reason, we hadn't thought a lot about Scandanavia when thinking of places we want to go.  We actually have 2 friends in Finland for work at the moment, but I doubt we'll get out there in the next year.

Another locale to add to my growing Places to Go list.  I'll have to sneak a peek at the pics too.  Thanks for the report!

• I looked at your photos.  Very cool.  I'm fascinated by the tall, twisty building.  And you look good in a Viking hat.  Smile
  • We had also not thought about Sweden and Denmark for vacation before our friends moved there. The unexpectedness was a real treat. It was very cool to be in this place that I hadn't really thought about visiting. It is also really easy to navigate, most people speak and understand English (unlike Italy) ad it is easy to drive around there (with the caveat that parking anywhere likely will cost money). You can get cheap tickets to CPH from Chicago, too. Ours were only $650 RT.
  • image Diana Prince:
    We had also not thought about Sweden and Denmark for vacation before our friends moved there. The unexpectedness was a real treat. It was very cool to be in this place that I hadn't really thought about visiting. It is also really easy to navigate, most people speak and understand English (unlike Italy) ad it is easy to drive around there (with the caveat that parking anywhere likely will cost money). You can get cheap tickets to CPH from Chicago, too. Ours were only $650 RT.

Wow that is super cheap! My brother lives in Finland and I know he paid MUCH more than that for his tickets from Helsinki to Chicago. 

Glad you had a good trip, I have to live vicariously through all you travelers since DH is a lame-o who hates to go on vacations.  

IMG_0888edit Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks! Vikings were my theme of the week. Everything I saw I added "Viking" to it. There were these old stone walls in the country while we were driving to Ale's Stones and I kept calling them Viking walls. The turning torso buildig was neat. When we were flying away, we could see it in the distance, over 40 miles away. The area where the turning torso is located (vastra hamnen in Malmo) kind of reminded me of navy pier in Chicago, actually.