Boston Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I cannot believe this

CW-er has been pregnant. The baby was diagnosed with a form of dwarfism. Had the tests done, measurement of the limbs done, etc etc. She has all the measurements in place to help him with challenges that will present themselves as he grows.

The baby was born at 3 a.m.

He is perfect.

No dwarfism. WTF?  Imagine if that were something truly serious like Tay Sachs and they chose to terminate the pregnancy that turned out to be perfectly viable and healthy?

I mean W.T.F. 

Re: I cannot believe this

• That's really scary in this day and age. I think sometimes we depend too much on medicine and science. Last year, my friend was told she was having a baby with a heart defect and possible Down's. She had all the tests, but refused an amnio because of the risk of a miscarriage. Her doctor made her sign a waiver because she refused the amnio. They had a heart surgeon on standby and a Medflight waiting to go to Children's. She had the baby in October. A perfect, healthy baby girl.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Holy crap! That's amazing. I'm glad everything turned out ok, but man.  All those months of worrying for nothing.

Erica & Alan
    October 1, 2010

[IMG]http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l587/mokey75/IMG_0222-1.jpg[/IMG]
  • image lburkey21:

Indifferent

Wow.

That's pretty much the only response I could muster, too.

I'd rather be rock climbing or playing volleyball
    image image
  • image ead1975:

Holy crap! That's amazing. I'm glad everything turned out ok, but man.  All those months of worrying for nothing.

This. That's so surprising!

• My niece was born last July. the doctors were 100% sure the baby would have down syndrome ran all the test everything came back positive each and every time they ran it. They saw three different doctors... THREE all told them the same thing that she would have down syndrome. She was born in July, 6 pounds 8 ounces, perfect healthy, no down syndrome, and three doctors told them it was 100%.  Absolutely scares the crap out of me when I think about it because if they are getting tests wrong, and thinking that babies will have DS when they dont, are they thinking that babies will not have DS when they actually do? Ugh, I cant even think about it for too long because if I do, I wont have children...ever.
  • Wow.  The poor woman for going through all of that.
  • Wow! That is scary! I understand modern medicine and technology are important.  But sometimes you just need to let nature do it's job.
  • image countrygrl10711:
    My niece was born last July. the doctors were 100% sure the baby would have down syndrome ran all the test everything came back positive each and every time they ran it. They saw three different doctors... THREE all told them the same thing that she would have down syndrome. She was born in July, 6 pounds 8 ounces, perfect healthy, no down syndrome, and three doctors told them it was 100%.  Absolutely scares the crap out of me when I think about it because if they are getting tests wrong, and thinking that babies will have DS when they dont, are they thinking that babies will not have DS when they actually do? Ugh, I cant even think about it for too long because if I do, I wont have children...ever.

Isn't DS caused by an extra chromosome? How do you miscount that?

• Sure is! 23rd I believe, or the 21st... I cannot think that far back in my early childhood classes but its one of the two. Anyway, I have NO idea how three different doctors missed it, or missed counted. Apparently, the test can come back with a false positive but multiple times is a little scary!
  • I wouldn't say a child with downs or dwarfism is any less perfect than a healthy baby. J has a very sick cousin and the first day I met her she was in the NICU and she was so beautiful and perfect, despite having a medical "defect."

• image LadyExtravaganza:

I wouldn't say a child with downs or dwarfism is any less perfect than a healthy baby. J has a very sick cousin and the first day I met her she was in the NICU and she was so beautiful and perfect, despite having a medical "defect."

I wasn't trying to say he wasn't "perfect" as in the sense that every baby is perfect (because they are!)

But all that worrying just sucked for her.

FWIW, we had all the tests done and would not have terminated under any circumstances. I just wanted to know if I should get any EI services in place should DS have tested positive for any disabilities. 

• image PunkyBooster:
    image LadyExtravaganza:

I wouldn't say a child with downs or dwarfism is any less perfect than a healthy baby. J has a very sick cousin and the first day I met her she was in the NICU and she was so beautiful and perfect, despite having a medical "defect."

I wasn't trying to say he wasn't "perfect" as in the sense that every baby is perfect (because they are!)

But all that worrying just sucked for her.

FWIW, we had all the tests done and would not have terminated under any circumstances. I just wanted to know if I should get any EI services in place should DS have tested positive for any disabilities. 

I know you weren't! I was just adding my 2 cents anyway Yes

I think Tay Sachs is the only thing DH and I would've considered not carrying through with the pregnancy. Even then, I don't know what we would do. I don't think anyone can know what they would do until they're in the situation. I can't imagine being faced with that decision.