Grand Rapids Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Training runs from the downtown Y?

Last year I recall there being Riverbank training runs the first Saturday of every month from the Hunting Y. Is that true this year, too? I'd love to know what the planned distance is for this coming Saturday. Thanks!

Re: Training runs from the downtown Y?

• They are! It is at 8am and says that various distances are available based on which race distance you have chosen. The 53riverbankrun.com site has the details in the training section. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town so won't be able to participate. I ran 7miles yesterday, so I think my training is pretty close to on track.
  • We'll be there this weekend!  This will be the first one we can go to this year - last year it was really nice - they provided bagels, bananas, OJ, coffee, etc. after the run last year so I'm hoping this year it will be similar.

The GR Running club does well organized long runs downtown every Saturday at 8 am starting at John Ball Zoo that we usually attend if we're in town.  The courses are well marked (they usually have a shorter distance and a longer distance) and they provide jelly beans and water at usually 2 or 3 spots on the run.

• image MrsJuliD:

We'll be there this weekend!  This will be the first one we can go to this year - last year it was really nice - they provided bagels, bananas, OJ, coffee, etc. after the run last year so I'm hoping this year it will be similar.

The GR Running club does well organized long runs downtown every Saturday at 8 am starting at John Ball Zoo that we usually attend if we're in town.  The courses are well marked (they usually have a shorter distance and a longer distance) and they provide jelly beans and water at usually 2 or 3 spots on the run.

Cool! Is there a max distance people might be going? Our marathon plan calls for 16-17mi on Saturday, and it'd be great to do at least the bulk of that with other people on a supported course.

• image GRKaters:
    image MrsJuliD:

We'll be there this weekend!  This will be the first one we can go to this year - last year it was really nice - they provided bagels, bananas, OJ, coffee, etc. after the run last year so I'm hoping this year it will be similar.

Cool! Is there a max distance people might be going? Our marathon plan calls for 16-17mi on Saturday, and it'd be great to do at least the bulk of that with other people on a supported course.

There are quite a few people training for the Bayshore that go longer - but usually the longest the actually organized part of the training runs go is about 14 miles I believe.  The other weekend the run was 10 miles but Andy and I wanted to run 12, so we just ran a mile past the turn around cones (measured w/our Garmin) and then headed back - there were a handful of others doing the same and some that looked like they were going futher.

• image MrsJuliD:
    image GRKaters:
    image MrsJuliD:

There are quite a few people training for the Bayshore that go longer - but usually the longest the actually organized part of the training runs go is about 14 miles I believe.  The other weekend the run was 10 miles but Andy and I wanted to run 12, so we just ran a mile past the turn around cones (measured w/our Garmin) and then headed back - there were a handful of others doing the same and some that looked like they were going futher.

Gotta love that Garmin. :) Thanks for the info! I'll see if my running pals want to join me there.