Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

JenD & Kernal

Hi ladies! So as you may or may not have seen me mention, we're trying to sell our house. Glenside is one of the places we're looking at as a possibility for our next house. We actually spent a couple of hours driving around yesterday looking at houses.

Since you've both lived there for a little while now, how happy are you with the area? Seems like there are definitely good and bad parts -- any suggestions of where to look, or where to avoid? 

TIA!

Re: JenD & Kernal

• We LOVE living in Glenside.  We are within walking distance to the train station, the main drag in Glenside (with shops, restaurants and bars) and also within walking distance of Keswick Village (with more shops, restaurants and the Keswick Theatre).  We are also close to two parks and the township pool.  We've noticed a lot of young couples or families moving into the area lately which is really nice to see.

The homes are generally older (ours is 106 yo) but are well built and have a lot more character and charm than newer, cookie cutter houses.  Most homes also only have 1 bath (unless someone has added one recently), so keep an eye out for places to expand if you'd like to add another.

Mt. Carmel Ave is the dividing line between Abington Twp and Cheltenham Twp.  We live in Cheltenham Twp, Kernal lives in Abington Twp.  I have not looked in to the schools, but have heard good things about both school districts.

Taxes are high, and I'm pretty sure they are higher in Cheltenham Twp than Abington, though not by much.  We pay $6K per year and our home is 1800 sq ft.

I'm not sure what you mean by bad parts.  The area is pretty quiet and generally crime-free. 

#1  12.11.11
    #2  10.23.13 EDD
  • image JenD1018:

We LOVE living in Glenside.  We are within walking distance to the train station, the main drag in Glenside (with shops, restaurants and bars) and also within walking distance of Keswick Village (with more shops, restaurants and the Keswick Theatre).  We are also close to two parks and the township pool.  We've noticed a lot of young couples or families moving into the area lately which is really nice to see.

The homes are generally older (ours is 106 yo) but are well built and have a lot more character and charm than newer, cookie cutter houses.  Most homes also only have 1 bath (unless someone has added one recently), so keep an eye out for places to expand if you'd like to add another.

Mt. Carmel Ave is the dividing line between Abington Twp and Cheltenham Twp.  We live in Cheltenham Twp, Kernal lives in Abington Twp.  I have not looked in to the schools, but have heard good things about both school districts.

Taxes are high, and I'm pretty sure they are higher in Cheltenham Twp than Abington, though not by much.  We pay $6K per year and our home is 1800 sq ft.

I'm not sure what you mean by bad parts.  The area is pretty quiet and generally crime-free. 

This is awesome info, thanks! As for the "bad parts" we drove down one street that was pretty rough looking -- run down houses, etc. Versus some neighborhoods with larger homes, more manicured... So my comment was based on aesthetics, not really thinking about crime or anything.

• Oh ok.  Most residents in the area really do take pride in their homes and keep up with the maintenance and typically don't have a lot of clutter.  That said, there are a few blocks here and there that are not as visually enjoyable.

#1  12.11.11
    #2  10.23.13 EDD
  • Pretty much agree with JenD. I heart Glenside and when we buy our next house I hope its in the same neighborhood. Are you looking for a fixer upper? Because like Jen said, most of the houses are pretty old and are going to need work.

Personally, we didn't want something that someone did work to because you never know if they did it wrong or on the cheap. Our house is 1700 sq ft and our taxes are $4,600 a year. Cheltenham is definitely higher than that bc they don't have as much money being generated (abington has willow grove mall, etc).

If you want to email me..there is a suuuper awesome house in our neighborhood for sale. I'll email you the street name. My email is firstname.marriedlastname @ ms .com

My little nuggets

• image Kernel14:

Pretty much agree with JenD. I heart Glenside and when we buy our next house I hope its in the same neighborhood. Are you looking for a fixer upper? Because like Jen said, most of the houses are pretty old and are going to need work.

Personally, we didn't want something that someone did work to because you never know if they did it wrong or on the cheap. Our house is 1700 sq ft and our taxes are $4,600 a year. Cheltenham is definitely higher than that bc they don't have as much money being generated (abington has willow grove mall, etc).

If you want to email me..there is a suuuper awesome house in our neighborhood for sale. I'll email you the street name. My email is firstname.marriedlastname @ ms .com

We're okay with something that needs love, but not a massive effort. At least a situation where we can live with most of it as is, and possibly do projects over time. DH is very handy, so I'm not too worried about this. It also depends on the price, obviously. If it's under budget, I'd be more willing to put money into rehabbing. If it's at the top end of our budget, it should be much closer to our end goal, if that makes sense.

Email coming now :)