Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

mold & front load washer :(

Just discovered it and it's disgusting :( I've researched how to clean the mold off, but I'm getting different answers! What have you ladies used? Or what would you recommend? Vinegar, bleach, etc?

Thanks!

Re: mold & front load washer :(

• I used a magic eraser on mine, but I have learned that you are supposed to keep the washer door open when not in use. Apprent;t the seal is so thight on them that the left over moisture does not evaporate like in tip load. And that is what cuases the mold.
  • Thanks for posting this.  I have a front load washer and the same issue.

• Buy the Clorox front loader cleaner and run the "clean washer cycle" option. You really have to do this every month and keep the door open between loads from now on. I keep an old towel on top of the washer and wipe down the inside after each wash cycle
  • i have only had my front load for a short while but im glad i saw this!

you'd think leaving the door open would cause the hinges to bend and make the door not close properly?

but i may hafta start doing that too just in case..

*hatred is like drinking poison and hoping the other person dies* Vacation
  • No harm done to your door, Promise. If you read the instruction manual, it will tell you to do the same thing!
  • Thank you ladies! First house, first washer and dryer that we ever purchased...there's a lot to learn!
  • I leave the door open and wipe down with an old towel after every use.

I also close the laundry room door so the cat doesnt try to nap in there.

• My manual suggested leaving the door open between uses. I also leave the soap dispenser open to let that dry out too.

There are also some products you will find near the laundry detergent for cleaning the front loader like Affresh.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • image TheDeaton's:
    No harm done to your door, Promise. If you read the instruction manual, it will tell you to do the same thing!

haha sounds good! thanks!

*hatred is like drinking poison and hoping the other person dies* Vacation
  • I'm a lurker here, but yeah, keep that door open. I've had a front loader (on my 2nd one now) for 10 years (and my mom always had one too) and NEVER had any mold problem. We've always just kept the door open in between uses and never had a problem with doors.

So yeah, clean it off (use some form of bleach or chlorox), then run it empty (or with whites that can take bleach) and you'll be good to go.

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • When we bought our front loaders we were told that this could happen.  I keep a rag by the washer and whenever I am done I dry the rim of the washer with it.  That has seemed to help.
    BabyFetus Ticker