Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Quinoa...is this normal? PIP

So I know many of you have cooked with quinoa before...I just have once now. Im not really sure if I did it right!

I rinsed it, soaked it (about 20 minutes), rinsed it.

1 cup of quinoa and 1.5 cups of water brought to a boil, reduced heat to low and let simmer for 25 minutes...then kept checking in intervals until the water has evaporated.

In the beginning the boil was too high and I dont know if this messed with it. I forgot how heavy my pot was and didnt reduce the heat enough at first.

The outcome: the "shell" had a little crunch, popped in my mouth...and wasnt quite as fluffy as I would have suspected from reviews.

It got a little funky...I guess I figured it would be more self contained like rice...not the case. Does this look normal?

Mine doesnt look as appetizing as others I see! (trying to make the pic smaller)

Re: Quinoa...is this normal? PIP

• MIne does not look like this. I don't soak mine at all. I also use a rice cooker and cook just as I would rice.
  • I think you overcooked it. It doesn't need to be soaked as well as rinsed, and 25min is a long time to cook it, especially with being soaked already.

• I think maybe you burned it by accident? 

I always do a ratio of 2 portions liquid to 1 portion quinoa and it turns perfectly each time. Try adding more water.

I swim because I'm too damned sexy for a sport that requires real clothing.
  • I kept reading about the importance of soaking it....I guess this isnt the case? just a good rinse?

Also read a lot of places to cook it for 30-35 minutes?

I know I over cooked it (it boiled too long hard then I turned it too low and had to bring the simmer back...thats what I get for multitasking! haha) but any tips are commpletely welcome! <time/temp etc...I dont have a ricecooker either>

• image heather&edwin:

I kept reading about the importance of soaking it....I guess this isnt the case? just a good rinse?

Also read a lot of places to cook it for 30-35 minutes?

I know I over cooked it (it boiled too long hard then I turned it too low and had to bring the simmer back...thats what I get for multitasking! haha) but any tips are commpletely welcome! <time/temp etc...I dont have a ricecooker either>

Where did you read to soak it? The purpose of the rinse is to remove the bitter coating (saponins) that may be on the hull. And yes, it will "split" when it's done cooking; that's the germ (I think) popping open into the little C shape. I think when I don't use my cheapie-cheap rice cooker, I've combined the water and quinoa in a medium saucepan, brought it to a boil, and turned it way down low with a lid on for 15-20min.

I have a quinoa tag in my blog, too, if you want to see how else we use it.

• Thanks. I understand the rinse ill nix the soak next time

I was trying to cook it plain to make quinoa blackbean burgers...which I still did because it was a little gummy lol and I figured...why not burry it in black beans onions and spices! HA!

I just know if I dont cook it perfectly when I present it to my husband to eat...he wont touch it!

But is a little bit of that "crunch" normal? like a softened piece of popped-popcorn-shell (if that makes sense)

• My quinoa is never crunchy.

I often microwave mine--same ratio of water to quinoa as you mentioned, cover with vented plastic wrap, then 5 minutes on high, 15 minutes on 50% power.  Perfect every time..

• According to my quinoa package, you rinse, add in twice as much water as quinoa, bring to a boil, reduce heat, pop lid on and let simmer for 15 minutes.  I've never had bad quinoa.