Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Trish told me to.......

You can blame Sadlebred for having me come post over here. Stick out tongue

I want to lose some weight, about 30-40lbs. I've done the South Beach diet, and it works great for about 2 weeks, when I finally crack under the starvation and go back to eating like I did before, and I gain the weight back.

I've been thinking about Weight Watchers, but I truly have no idea how it works other than you get points. I don't know how you would calculate points if your foods aren't pre packaged, and I prefer to keep pre packaged food to a minimum. Right now, I am working about 50 hours a week, have school 4 nights per week, two church services on the weekends, plus my boyfriend, so I am very busy.

Any insight on how to start a new lifestyle plan that doesn't involve tons of prep time every day would be great. :)

Re: Trish told me to.......

• Are you looking to calorie count? For an exercise plan??

I use SparkPeople.com for calorie counting. (I tried, and hated, Weight Watchers.) As far as lifestyle plan, I'm starting to eat cleaner (not totally clean, but pretty clean - the only not really clean stuff I eat are occasional Fiber One bars and ice cream, which I can't give up.) I use my slow cooker to make a lot of meals. I like the website skinnytaste.com for easy to make, low-calorie/low-fat recipes.  HTH!

?"All I want is what I have coming to me. All I want is my fair share."
    Visit The Nest! image
    Anniversary
    GP buddy to blenderdance
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't know a lot about Weight Watchers, but if you want to avoid prepackaged foods you will have to do some prep work.  I try to avoid a lot of prepacked foods too.  I try to make a lot of my food for the week on Sunday and pre-portion into containers for lunch. Make a few chicken breasts to slice for salads, etc.  I also like to make extra for dinners so I'll some to tkae for lunch.  Someone else mentioned a slow cooker.  This can be a big help, just toss the food in and let it go.

I also make my breakfast the night before, so all I have to do is heat it in the microwave.  I like to do egg whites on whole wheat english muffins w/lowfat cheese or oatmeal with fruit and nuts added in.  Sometimes I'll make up to 3 at a time to use for the next few days. 

Some popular calorie tracking (and free) websites are sparkpeople.com or I use my-calorie-counter.com.  They have a good database of lots of foods, and if it's not on there you can add to the database.

Run for Hope 5k - 2/27/10 - 33:00 Double Decker 10k - 4/24/10 - 1:10:38
    Run for Life Half Marathon - 10/9/10 - 2:24:05 Run for Hope 5k - 2/26/11 - 29:51
    Go! St. Louis Half Marathon - 4/10/10 - 2:38:11 Run for Hope 5k - 2/24/12 - 30:36
    Little Rock Half Marathon - 3/4/12 Branson Half Ironman (relay) 9/29/12
    Rock n Rock STL Half - 10/21/12
    Visit The Nest! image
  • PnR is a great cook! (Trust me, I've had her cooking!). I've suggested eating clean. At the very least, it's something to incorporate into your eating habits.

• Thank you for the suggestions ladies! I will also get back on the my daily plate bandwagon.