Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Relocating to Omaha

Hi Ladies,

I am looking for a little local advice. I am starting a graduate program at Creighton in mid-May. 

We currently live in North Platte and my husband and I will have a commuter marriage for the year (not ideal, but as you can imagine, the educational opportunities in NP are quite limited...). We are actually really excited about having a "home base" in Omaha.

I will be getting an apartment in Omaha and am having trouble narrowing down the areas that I should be looking at.  I would like to be within 20 minutes of Creighton, but immediate proximity isn't really necessary. My budget for a studio or 1 bedroom apt. is between $500-650. Any suggestions for areas of town I should look at? I am also open to renting a small home or duplex so if you would like to recommend your property management company, I'm open to that too.

I'll take any and all suggestions you might have for an Omaha newcomer!

Thanks! 

Re: Relocating to Omaha

• Couple of options--

I think a local nestie is looking for a roommate for her house.

As for apts. There are some off of 90th between dodge and maple.  I lived in ones at 90th & blondo and really liked them. There are also a few off of western or burt also in the 90th & dodge area.  So for school you could head downtown a couple of ways and it wouldn't take that long. Plus, you would be close to the interstate, shopping, grocery, etc.   Good central area. 

• I lived in an apartment near 114th and Center called Arbor Place. It's run by Schwalb Realty. It was just a random building of apartments, so it didn't have amenities like gym, pool or anything.... which helped keep the rent down. It was really drama free and had the option of having a garage. I think I paid like $550 and my one bedroom was huge and it had a huge laundry room if I had my own washer/dryer... but it also had laundry facitlities on each floor. Schwalb also has those same exact apts all over town... plus a lot of other properties too, including duplexes and townhomes. http://schwalbrealty.com

Married the love of my life 6/3/06
    Became a family of three 8/25/09
  • There's another nestie on here that is looking to rent out her house too... Jamie?? Not sure how much she's asking.

Married the love of my life 6/3/06
    Became a family of three 8/25/09
  • Thanks ladies!

This is really helpful information. And I would definitely be interested in talking to the nestie who wants to rent her house. I may be way below the price range she is looking to rent for, but it is worth a shot. 

• We have someone on here that is looking for a roommate.  :)   Maybe you can talk to her?

I was able to save a ton of money with a roommate in college.   1/2 bills on utilities, etc... 

• I second the room mate option! The nestie that is looking is super sweet and has a nice spacious house! I think she is right in your price range.
  • JH1 is the nestie!!  Page her on here!  She's lovely!
  • The apartments on 36th and highway 370 are really nice. I had a studio and it was $425 a month before utilities. They are just a quick shot up highway 75/ I 480 to Creighton.

• image shannie21:
    JH1 is the nestie!!  Page her on here!  She's lovely!
    Ditto!! Jenny is awesome! :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Also the aksarben area has nice apts, they are new. 
  • The Dundee area is really popular for students who rent - you won't find a lot of the rental opportunities online though (that's my guess) because of the properties in the area are managed by smaller companies.  A friend just moved into a 1-bedroom in that area and I can find out the exact property/building info for you.  That would be 15 mins from Creighton.  The Aksarben area would be 20ish minutes and has newer apartment options, but probably few that are less than $650.

Oh, and Dundee is roughly 50th and Dodge (north of Dodge) and Aksarben apartments are around 66th between Pacific and Center, which I thought I'd add since I don't know how much you know about the Omaha geography.  GL!

Blythe, born 6/5/10, and Oscar the dog (not pictured), adopted 11/16/07