Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I think we're breaking up... for good

Yes, the day has come. My Jeep Commander did not start again this morning and I've had enough. We've been thinking about getting something with better gas mileage anyways... so this is really just reaffirming my feelings that this relationship just isn't going to work out. I hate to do it, since it's almost paid off... but this unreliable hunk of metal has crossed me for the last time.

Ok, talk me into another vehicle. We already have a Dodge Charger... so another "car" isn't likely... perhaps we'll consider a mini van... or a smaller SUV with good gas mileage. Ready, set, go!

Married the love of my life 6/3/06
Became a family of three 8/25/09

Re: I think we're breaking up... for good

• I love our mini-van.  We have an 05 Dodge Grand Caravan.  We didn't get it until just a couple of month before Josie was born.  I wish we would have gotten a mini-van sooner!

What I love about my mini-van; automatic sliding doors, stow-n-go seats, automatic trunk door, plenty of room in the trunk space for 2 strollers (one double; one single), carseats fit well.  

It really is just a great van.

If you're planning to have anymore kids in the future, I personally think a mini-van is the way to go!

• Honda Fit

'nuff said

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Alright, as you know we just bought a van this weekend (Chrysler Town & Country Touring).  My life is already 1000x easier.

Here is why I wanted a van - and we debated between a van or SUV for a LONG time...

When you pop out #2, the carseat situation.  Even if you've got a nice big SUV, your backseat is completely shot.  My SIL/BIL have a really nice Envoy, but they've got two boys - one in a convertible, one in a booster.  We literally have to crawl in through the back of the SUV and over the seat just to get anyone else in their car.  It's the biggest PITA ever.  However with a van, you simply walk between the captains chairs.  Not to mention how easy it is to get Audrey in and out of the car now, and like Patti mentioned above, the automatic opening doors is a GODSEND.

We also actually have quite a bit of extra space for hauling things.  I think vans have come a long way in this department.  We've got a nice big area in the back which is dipped down for even more space, plus the stow and go areas.

I know 90% of people are anti van and all about SUVs, but I seriously dont see why anyone would not want a van when you've got kids to haul around.  I really dont.  Can you tell I'm still high from my purchase? ;)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I really, really like the Dodge Journey. It is a little more than we want to spend right now though. Smile
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I have the Acura RDX and love it! My first car was a Honda Civic and lasted 7 years with no problems until someone hit me. I always go for Honda and Acura personally. Its the smaller sport SUV. They also have an MDX which has a 3rd row seat but didn't need that much room. Mine sits 5. Its a pricey SUV but I love it. Gas mileage is ok - 22 mpg or so. The only complaint I have is I have to put Premium in it. Didn't really consider that before hand and no I kinda regret it because of the way gas prices are looking now. But I'm still keeping it for a few years until warranty is up. Haven't had any problems though and runs great.
  • We have a Honda CR-V and a Mazda Tribute, and by far prefer the CR-V.  Our next car will probably be an Accord or something similar, but if we buy another SUV it'll be a CR-V for sure.

Amy will never turn me to the dark side :)

Blythe, born 6/5/10, and Oscar the dog (not pictured), adopted 11/16/07
  • image OxAMYxO:

Alright, as you know we just bought a van this weekend (Chrysler Town & Country Touring).  My life is already 1000x easier.

Here is why I wanted a van - and we debated between a van or SUV for a LONG time...

When you pop out #2, the carseat situation.  Even if you've got a nice big SUV, your backseat is completely shot.  My SIL/BIL have a really nice Envoy, but they've got two boys - one in a convertible, one in a booster.  We literally have to crawl in through the back of the SUV and over the seat just to get anyone else in their car.  It's the biggest PITA ever.  However with a van, you simply walk between the captains chairs.  Not to mention how easy it is to get Audrey in and out of the car now, and like Patti mentioned above, the automatic opening doors is a GODSEND.

We also actually have quite a bit of extra space for hauling things.  I think vans have come a long way in this department.  We've got a nice big area in the back which is dipped down for even more space, plus the stow and go areas.

I know 90% of people are anti van and all about SUVs, but I seriously dont see why anyone would not want a van when you've got kids to haul around.  I really dont.  Can you tell I'm still high from my purchase? ;)

All of this.  We LOVE our van (also a Chrysler T&C Touring). 

[IMG]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/4/465918.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/7/736733.png[/IMG]
  • We have a Chevy Traverse, and I love it!  We have captains chairs, so it is easy to get into the back seat.  The back seats fold down and so do the captain's chairs, so we can haul stuff too.  We originally wanted the Equinox because of the gas mileage, but they didn't have 0% financing.  So, we went with the bigger, less fuel efficient Traverse.  At the time, I wasn't sold, but now I'm so glad we did it!  I get 18-20 mpg, which sucks compared to my Corolla I had, but it's the best in its class.  It would be nice for sliding doors, but DH would never go for a full out mini-van.  He calls this my glorified mini-van! 
  • image OxAMYxO:

I have a Volvo XC90. Doesn't have a third row seat, so this is not an issue for me.  DH has a Yukon and it has captain chairs in the second row, so the issue is solved for him.

I am still Surprise that Amy went to the dark side.

• I drive a Ford Escape Hyrbrid, and I love it. Great gas mileage for a small SUV (~32 mpg). That being said, I'm also a huge fan of mini-vans. I don't have one yet, but I'm sure I'm headed that way down the road. I'm hoping that there is a hybrid option by the time I want one.
  • I have a 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee with under 30K miles I'll sell ya.  Big Smile  My dream car...but not my dream payment or gas milage..ha!
  • We have been researching vehicles too. I am in love with the Passat Wagon and also a Mazda CX-7. We need something with more space but good gas mileage as this vehicle will get a lot of use.

I think looking into wagons or crossovers would be something you should consider too.

• GMC Acadia!!! That is what I want!
    Married 5/14/07 Momma to two amazing boys 6/20/08 & 11/20/09