International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Is this gross or not?

I don't know how I feel about this... I could go either way.  What do you guys think?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12569011

Breast milk ice cream goes on sale in Covent Garden

A restaurant in London's Covent Garden is serving a new range of ice cream, made with breast milk.

The dessert, called Baby Gaga, is churned with donations from London mother Victoria Hiley, and served with a rusk and an optional shot of Calpol or Bonjela.

Mrs Hiley, 35, said if adults realised how tasty breast milk was more new mothers would be encouraged to breastfeed.

Each serving of Baby Gaga at Icecreamists costs ?14.

Mrs Hiley's donation was expressed on site and pasteurised before being churned with Madagascan vanilla pods and lemon zest.

Icecreamists founder Matt O'Connor placed an advert appealing for breast milk donations and believes his new recipe will be a success.

Continue reading the main story

?Start Quote

What's the harm in using my assets for a bit of extra cash??

End Quote Victoria Hiley Mother

"If it's good enough for our children, it's good enough for the rest of us," he said.

"Some people will hear about it and go yuck - but actually it's pure organic, free-range and totally natural."

Mrs Hiley, who gets ?15 for every 10 ounces of milk she donates to the company, said it was a great "recession beater".

"What's the harm in using my assets for a bit of extra cash?" she added.

"I teach women how to get started on breastfeeding their babies. There's very little support for women and every little helps."

Mr O'Connor said 14 other women had come forward to offer their services. Health checks for the lactating women were the same used by hospitals to screen blood donors.

"No-one's done anything interesting with ice cream in the last hundred years," he added.

IN Siggy Challenge for November - Favorite Cartoon Character: Rainbow Brite!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Is this gross or not?

• I couldn't even read the article, the title made me shiver. Ew Ew Ew
    TTC #1 since Aug 2010 * BFP Aug 2011, EDD April 16 2012 * MMC @ 7w5d, D&C @ 10w5d
    BFP Apr 2012, EDD Dec 19 2012 * twin h/b at 6wk, 9wk scan * Baby A lost at 12wks, Baby B was my rainbow born at 36wks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Gross.

I breastfed for 16 months and I never tasted my milk. No way I would consume someone else's! 

• That's nasty.  I envision this as something that will be used by people who are daring their friends...aka, I'll give you ?5 if you take one bite of that icecream.
  • I just think there are better things to do with this woman's milk. Please stop this and donate it!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • They are charging 14 pounds for a serving!!!  I bet this is a nice supplemental income for her.

I have to admit... if it were in front of me, I would probably try a tiny spoonful.  It's like that Friends episode!

IN Siggy Challenge for November - Favorite Cartoon Character: Rainbow Brite!
  • The title alone is gross--didn't even read the article!

• It tastes like cantaloupe juice.
  • I'd file it under 'Products We Don't Really Need' with Lady Gaga's perfume which contains extracts of semen and blood.

• imageMouseInLux:
    I just think there are better things to do with this woman's milk. Please stop this and donate it!

ditto this

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yup. Gross. I would not drink a stranger's breast milk. In fact, I don't think I'd drink a friend's breast milk, either.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • 1) Does the BBC not know what 'donate' means? She's paid for it. It's not a donation.

2) I don't know enough about the science behind it, but if it's safe, then go for it. I mean, I'm not personally intrigued enough to try it, but it doesn't really gross me out. My only thought is safety because I know that's a big deal at milk banks.

3) They are on crack if they think this will get more new mums to breastfeed. I've never heard anyone say, "I formula feed because formula tastes better." WTF? No one cares how it tastes when they make that decision. 

• imagebigfatgreekwedd:

imageMouseInLux:
    I just think there are better things to do with this woman's milk. Please stop this and donate it!

ditto this

Ditto! 

And if it's so tasty, then why are we adding lemon extract and vanilla beans to it? 

I honestly have serious issues with someone making money for their milk when they could donate it to seriously sick infants, who it may help survive!

Awesome pic of hubby and DS#1

"My 101 List - Updating asap, I swear!

• Gross. And I'm clearly pro-BF, heck I am an extended breastfeeder. But that is gross. Donate the milk if you have extra.If you want to use your extr milk to make BM ice cream for  your own family, be my guest, its not up my alley but whatever, But selling it to the general public skeeves me out...

Plus the whole "organic" bit would be impossible to actually monitor given that they have no way of knowing if those women ate only organic food during the period that milk was pumped. It's such a crock. 

eta: Lorry, I was  thinkingt he same thing re: safety. I wonder if they tested all the women who donated properly. It's a bodily fluid, there are usually tight restrictions around donations bc you can pass diseases through BM, or medications you may have taken. If they're relying solely on the honor system that is really dangerous, imo. 

• But honestly, why is this gross? We eat things made of the milk of another animal, this is just the milk of the animal we are. I think this is pointless, but not gross. And I have tasted my milk. I don't see what's wrong with that.

My Blog
  • Good point, enid. With animals there is a level of depersonalisation though. I tell you what, if cows could hold a conversation, I'd definitely be vegetarian.

I'm not grossed out by it either, but I don't think we need it as a product. We have ice-cream already. BM gelato is filling a need that doesn't exist.

• That could be said of most of the stuff that's for sale in the western world, though. Coca-cola doesn't fill a need either. Or even cow's milk, for that matter. Skinny jeans don't feel a need. We already had trousers. etc. etc.

And almost every cent we spend could be spent on something that feeds hungry people or saves a life, but most of us still spend more than the absolute minimum on things like food and clothes instead of living like monks and donating the rest to charity. I don't see breast milk ice cream as any worse than a handbag that costs a few thousand, or even a few hundred, dollars. It's still someone putting their priorities in a place other than the most humanitarian option.

• Would I want to pay to eat her bodily fluid? Hell no.

imageimage
  • imagelorryfach:

That could be said of most of the stuff that's for sale in the western world, though. Coca-cola doesn't fill a need either. Or even cow's milk, for that matter. Skinny jeans don't feel a need. We already had trousers. etc. etc.

And almost every cent we spend could be spent on something that feeds hungry people or saves a life, but most of us still spend more than the absolute minimum on things like food and clothes instead of living like monks and donating the rest to charity. I don't see breast milk ice cream as any worse than a handbag that costs a few thousand, or even a few hundred, dollars. It's still someone putting their priorities in a place other than the most humanitarian option.

I agree, most things aren't necessary! I don't live that monk-ish way though :)

I just feel like it's odd to find this more gross than cow milk products. We are the ONLY animal that drinks the 'body fluid' (since we're calling it that, apparently) of another animal PAST the age of weaning! Isn't that what's weird!?

My Blog
  • imagelorryfach:

That could be said of most of the stuff that's for sale in the western world, though. Coca-cola doesn't fill a need either. Or even cow's milk, for that matter. Skinny jeans don't feel a need. We already had trousers. etc. etc.

Fine, it's one more thing we really don't need. I'm just surprised that this hasn't been available in the US first. It's the nation of unlimited choice!

• imageEnidFalcor:

I just feel like it's odd to find this more gross than cow milk products. We are the ONLY animal that drinks the 'body fluid' (since we're calling it that, apparently) of another animal PAST the age of weaning! Isn't that what's weird!?

I find it odd (not necessarily gross) because it comes from something that talks back.

• imageEnidFalcor:
    imagelorryfach:

I agree.  I drink cows milk and I like it, I have also thought about how it's kinda weird before.  

If this woman is making some money from this and people are buying so what?

People make money from selling plasma.  Yes babies could use the milk, but maybe she could use the money. Who are we to decide what she should do with her milk, if the market will pay and she is willing to sell why not?  

Pre English Reception Pictures at H's High School
    Bio
  • gross, gross gross gross!!!!

I recently read about a chef in NY who made cheese from his wife's breastmilk. He couldn't sell it in the restaurant, but was so enthusiastic about it that he worked from home selling this cheese. Apparently it was a big hit.. It just made me want to gag! 

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • I think it's disgusting.