Military Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

OPSEC/PERSEC question

I logged into my facebook and saw an update from a girl I used to work with. It said the exact date her sister was leaving for training.

I sent her a message with a link about opsec/persec telling her to be careful about what she puts up, you don't need to tell the world when etc.

Now, I dont know exactly what shes talking about, I guess going to basic.

She just wrote back "Thank you but I don't know any details except what day she leaves for training..."

Which to me seems a little odd since my message said 'dont put exact dates', but thats not my point

Is it okay to talk about when someone goes to/returns from basic? I assume thats what shes talking about but I have no idea. But in general is that acceptable? And what about in general when someone returns from a deployment? I understand saying "he/she returns today" is bad but what about: "he/shes back with me now" or "he/she returned home last tuesday"? Once he/she has landed back on US soil how strict are the conditions?

Thanks in advance :-)

Re: OPSEC/PERSEC question

• Training kind of depends on what kind of training. Basic and tech/MOS school, not as big a deal as predeployment training. Google Ft. Dix Six for an example. For redeployment, once boots are back on US soil, feel free to talk.
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Thanks. So if all she said was 'training' I don't know her or her family well enough to know anything else, so technically it was "okay"? While personally I don't think Id make my facebook updates with dates for the world...its still good to know :-)
  • image heather&edwin:
    Thanks. So if all she said was 'training' I don't know her or her family well enough to know anything else, so technically it was "okay"? While personally I don't think Id make my facebook updates with dates for the world...its still good to know :-)

I don't see why there's anything wrong with it. I had updates about J in boot camp with dates because it was easier for me to write a status about it than keep fielding constant questions. You seem to be judging and I'm not entirely sure why.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Lace&Josh:

image heather&edwin:
    Thanks. So if all she said was 'training' I don't know her or her family well enough to know anything else, so technically it was "okay"? While personally I don't think Id make my facebook updates with dates for the world...its still good to know :-)

I don't see why there's anything wrong with it. I had updates about J in boot camp with dates because it was easier for me to write a status about it than keep fielding constant questions. You seem to be judging and I'm not entirely sure why.

no! wasnt trying to sound that way! I mean I typically don't put a lot of personal things up...its just not my style (Im pretty sure its as a result of growing up in a small town of <2k people where everyone knew everything and it took a few hours for misinterpretations to come back! lol) I don't think theres anything wrong with it its just something outside my comfort zone

• Ah yes, I know the small town well. I had a graduating class of 108 that was the biggest in something like 17 years.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • yeah sorry if it sounded rude..I reread it again. I meant I probably wouldnt write much on my fb/public ... but I wanted to know the details for if I do. if that makes sense. :-P