Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

how often should you buy new towels/linen?

just out of curiosity. never thought of it before. i can't even make up a poll cuz i have no idea how often this should be done! or is it just "use your own judgement" and use until it's ratty, then they become rags?

this question occurred to me as i was thinking about my towels from college... it seems it wasn't that long ago i bought them (well, 5.5 years) and they were all pretty and new, but now they're my crappy, would-almost-use-them-while-dying-my-hair towels!

save the date
"Here we stand from two distant lands, brought together by His hand" <3 my Aussie <BR>

Re: how often should you buy new towels/linen?

• Whenever what you had is getting worn based on your opinion.

• I buy new sheets whenever I think we need them, and new towels every two years or so.
  • I just bought new towels because ours are 2 years old and they aren't soft anymore. We just moved across country and I know we will be having friends/family come stay with us. I would be embarrassed handing them a rough towel so I knew it was time to buy a few new towels (and washcloths).

Our cat loves to claw our sheets so I am planning on buying new ones when ours look terrible and are torn up. 

• It depends on the quality and how you care for them, honestly.

I had Ralph Lauren towels that were nearly 10 years old that look better than the Ralph Lauren towels we registered for and have used for one month. Seriously.  They were super expensive and are crap.  I gave the old ones to my mom or I would still be using them!

• It depends on how good they are to start with (which sadly seems like it has little to do with price) and how many you have in rotation. More sheets and towels means they are each used a bit less and last for more time. If you only own 4 towels then they'll wear out faster. Not necessarily a bad thing if you like to change your decor often.

I just retired a sheet set that I got in 1989. It was a good all cotton set and it just got softer with age. But finally it was so soft that the cat tore it with her back claws when jumping off. I have towels that old too (and my mom has towels as old as me!! And I'm 36!)

Towels do get ratty, but they shouldn't get hard.  If your towels are hard, do you need a water softener? Or maybe you just have detergent build-up - try washing them in hot water with no detergent and see if you get any suds when it agitates. If you do get suds, keep washing until they are gone.

I also think that certain colors of towels look better for longer. Dark towels look faded after a few years and while I would still use them, they are obviously not new. I prefer a light color - sage, light blue, beige - I think they stay looking nice much longer.

- Jena
  • We've had ours for 3.5 years and they look great except for some spots that had gotten bleached out from a facewash :( 

I'm nervous about buying new ones for the same reason as pp- anyone find towles recently that weren't crazy expensive and last for a while? 

image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since 3-2008: v/c repair 2009; BFP: 7-2010, m/c 8-2010, c/p 4-2011, BFP: 6-2011 EDD: 2-12-2012?
    "Lovebugs2012"
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Today I am pregnant & I love my baby!
  • Ugh, I wonder this too. I think part of the problem is that it's hard to find good quality towels. I have some that are more than 20 years old that are still good. I have some that are a year old and are crap (inexpensive ones from Kohls). I, too, am in search of good quality towels. My last batch we got for our wedding from BB&B (Suite Collection micro-cotton) is holding up okay, after about 4 years. There is some fading, which is noticible on the sagey green, but not on the bamboo beige. I also have bleach spots on both, but I don't know where it came from, since I don't use bleach in my laundry. (Might have been from a cosmetic or cleaning product.) We rotate 3 sets (2 of the green, 1 of the beige) weekly. Personally, I think towels, with good use, should last a MINIMUM of 5 years, and more realistically 8-10. I will pay more for good towels.

I don't have as much experience with paying attention to sheets. We look for really soft ones. Generally, these don't last as long as the stiffer sheets. When they lose their shape and making the bed is more difficult, we get new ones. Good sheets, IMHO, should last 5-8 years.

I would love recommendations, if someone found awesome sheets and/or towels that wear well and last a long time! :)

[img]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd243/laurakat24/turkeybaster-1.jpg[/img][IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/sg4uir.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/2cgez43.jpg[/IMG]

My BLOG: www.ivfbabyquest.wordpress.com

Me: 41, Hubby: 34, TTC since Jan 2010. Dx: DOR due to advanced maternal age. Also: Hypothyroidism (100mcg Levothyroxin). Positive for MTHFR, Factor V Leiden (FaBB tab), and Fragile X (on DH side). Also taking pre-natal vitamins and Vitamin D

One natural PG 9/27/11; mc at 8wks (tried to naturally expel) Cytotec: 1/20/12 (unpleasant)

First RE visit: 8/8/12, Saline Sonogram: 8/28/12(4cm unknown mass in upper left of uterus) 2nd Saline Sonogram: 10/2/12 (mass disappeared!) IVF injection class: 10/11/12

IVF #1: 10/17/12 Baseline: FSH- 9.4, Estrogen- 24, LH- 3.7, Progesterone- 0.3 The u/s showed 6 follicles in my right ovary & 9 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle & 150 Menopur SQ nightly. 10/21/12: Add Ganirelix SQ every morning

ER 10/28/12: 13 Retreived. 7 Mature. 6 Fertilized. 5 Made it to PGS.

ET 11/2/12: CANCELED. All 5 came back from PGS as having "severe abnormalities." Devastated.

Begged RE for back-to-back IVFs; Started Provera 11/2/12. AF said FU and came anyway, destroying any chance for a Dec IVF.

I've maxed out my lifetime fertility insurance, so this next cycle is likely our last chance. I can barely breathe, waiting to get through this process, hoping for my take-home-baby.

IVF #2: 1/7/13 Baseline: FSH- 8.8, 4 follicles in my right ovary & 6 in my left. Rx: 150 Bravelle & 150 Menopur SQ nightly. 1/11/13: Add Ganirelix SQ every morning. hCG Trigger 1/16/13

ER 1/18/13: 9 Retrieved. 5 Mature. 5 Fertilized. 2 Made it to PGS.

ET 1/23/13: CANCELED. All embryos (he even sent the ones not growing) came back from PGS as having "multiple severe abnormalities."

No DE or adoption for us, FIRM. RE recommends we stop trying and focus on living childless, due to the repeated extremely poor quality of my eggs. I don't even know what to do with that.
  • My mom used Ralph Lauren for ages... then about 10 years ago switched to Awesome Towels

She has the buttercup- and they look brand new.   I just bought four white towels on Friday during their sale... for $17!!  They look a little thin when you buy them, but fluff up after washing.  I highly recommend them!  They dry fast, don't pill, and hers haven't faded at all (both parents and various siblings/grandkids/other out of town guests using them).

• I just buy them whenever they look worn.,  I usually buy white towel because DH is horrible about getting stuff that bleaches on towels.  I just replaced my college Ralph Lauren towels with Linden Street ones.  They look pretty good after a couple months of use, but we'll see after a year or so. 
  • We haven't had overnight guests since we bought the house (1.5 years ago) and FI and I bought brought towels we "inherited' with us when we moved. 

I just got done folding  towels, and I realize that most/all of them have holes in them. Guess it's time to get some nice fluffy new ones. Perhaps that's the motivation I need to finish our bathroom remodel!