Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Custom Closet Organizer

My wife wants to put some custom pieces in her new closet. We went to the container store and the quote came out to $700 for a shoe rack and some poles. The price to get the entire closet was obscene - over $3,000!

We also went to Home Depot and the pieces there are pretty expensive as well. Not like the container store, but they also weren't the exact pieces we had in mind.

Does anyone have these and swear by them?

Re: Custom Closet Organizer

• I have the ClosetMaid system (which I think can also be found at Target?) I ordered mine online from Overstock.com and got a great deal! I was pretty open to what I wanted and was able to sacrifice a few options for a better price. I would check sites like Overstock, or even e-bay to see if they have something similar to what your wife would like? Good luck :)
  • We put Elfa Closet into our laundry room...it was about $300 since we didn't need much of it. Love it though. But we wanted to redo the Master closet - way too $$$ for Elfa. So, we just ended up doing the design with extra basic white wire shelving from Lowe's and some ClosetMaid dividers and also some baskets from Target. Spent more money on nicer hangers though to "dress it up". For what we needed, (home staging to sell) it works and it's pretty functional too.
  • Sorry I can't help- but just chiming in: they're soo expensive!  We're in our second house and only one closet ever got 'done'.  We've uses poles for hanging things and shelves that we put in- I wish something was done and pretty- good luck!
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since 3-2008: v/c repair 2009; BFP: 7-2010, m/c 8-2010, c/p 4-2011, BFP: 6-2011 EDD: 2-12-2012?
    "Lovebugs2012"
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Today I am pregnant & I love my baby!
  • The price of a closet system is determined by the way you partition in addition to the materials you choose. Home Depot is not always the cheapest way to go contrary to initial impressions and you may lack the expertise to lay the space out effectively. A properly designed system will incorporate all your wardrobe needs and maximize your space. While the Container Store Elfa system is well built, the staff does not always know how to layout the space to maximize their materials which can translate to more cost for you. I have had first hand experience with this. You may have more success consulting a custom closet company and defining how much money you want to invest so they design a system to fit your budget. Most people under-estimate the cost of materials in a good system but there are choices to be made that drive that price. A professional closet designer knows how to make those choices and there is no charge for estimates. Some of these companies sell materials for do-it-yourselfers but not all. Call ahead. Schulte Corporation sells a system similar to the Container Store under the name Freedom Rail. Find a dealer at www.schultestorage.com. Good luck in your quest.
  • Thanks for all of your input. We went ahead and went with the Elfa from the container store but found ways to cut costs (i.e. opting out of the wooden shelves saved us over $100.)

Only drawback: my wife loves it and I am quite certain that we will be spending additional money in the future adding some more pieces :)