June 2008 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Gym Advice?

My job has gotten more and more demanding lately and I'm having a terrible time balancing work and anything else. I've always worked a standard 40 hours, with some extra time put in around big projects/shows a few times a year (I'm in marketing). Lately it seems like I'm in the office all.the.time (last week I worked 60 hours), and by the time I get home it's 7pm or later, and half the time I'm doing work at home after work.

I was doing really well getting to the gym until my surgery in late December when I had to take a few weeks off. Now that it hasn't been part of my routine for a few weeks, I'm finding it harder and harder to get back there (and the crazy hours at work aren't helping!!). Anyone have some good advice for getting motivated again? I feel like crap when I don't go, but I just get overwhelmed by house chores, bills, taking care of the dogs/horses, and I'm like "I'll go tomorrow - I swear". And then it doesn't happen. I think I need some way to make me feel accountable!

Re: Gym Advice?

• For me- I bought them Gym home. I'm saving for treadmill, but I bought weights, a few workout DVD ( or netflix or excersice tv on demand) a ball, kettle bells ect.

I try to do 20 minutes and usually I go over 

This leaves me less of an excuse and while its not the full impact workouts I crave, it is helping me through this long winter.

• Does DH go with you?  DH joined so now I am really motivated. I schedule it like everything else.  It seems simple but when you see it on your schedule I am more likely to go.  I hadn't been in 6 months and we have been going 4-5 times a week for the past month
    Blog Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    16 read! my read shelf:
    Amy's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Sunshine - Good idea! I have an exercise ball and some small weights at home - just felt kind of lost about using them. Any videos you would recommend? That might help if I can only put in minimal time at the gym or none at all.

Amy - Not right now. He gets free membership to the gym at school, so he's been using that now that he's back in class. I'd go to that one, but it's really far to if I'm not going there for class as well. That would be ideal though...and I can see how it would help with the motivation! Smile

• Anyone find that getting rid of, or limiting, TV helps? We're thinking about "hiding" the remote during the week and catching up on our shows during the weekend. Not sure if that would be beneficial or not...
  • Jen - can you get up early in the AM and go before work?  When I went in the AM was the only time I stuck with a gym routine.  I am so not a morning person but once I was up and going, I just went.  

If I waited until I got home, I'd never have done it.
  • Naylon - I could...definitely. The problem is, the thought of packing my stuff at night is extremely daunting. I'd have to get ready for work at the gym, so I have to bring everything with me. Not sure why that bothers me now - I used to do it! Maybe I need an easier hair style? haha
  • image June08BrideJC:
    Naylon - I could...definitely. The problem is, the thought of packing my stuff at night is extremely daunting. I'd have to get ready for work at the gym, so I have to bring everything with me. Not sure why that bothers me now - I used to do it! Maybe I need an easier hair style? haha

Yea, getting ready at the gym stinks but once you get used to it, maybe not so bad.  Can you leave a bag w/ shampoo, comb, whatever in your car and then you only have to remember work clothes?  I also used to sleep in my workout clothes (or close to them) so it was just sneakers on and out the door.

• I was also going to suggest going in the morning.  I found myself working too hard over the past few months as well - and I ended up just forcing myself to leave my work at work and go to the gym.  I "punch the clock" at 5:30 like I'm supposed to...even though some days it's really, really hard. 
  • image MrsBreaux2008:
    I was also going to suggest going in the morning.  I found myself working too hard over the past few months as well - and I ended up just forcing myself to leave my work at work and go to the gym.  I "punch the clock" at 5:30 like I'm supposed to...even though some days it's really, really hard. 

That sounds like a plan. I used to try and leave as close to my "9 hours" as possible. Is it bad that now I feel like I'll get fired if I leave when I'm supposed to? I didn't used to feel bad about leaving when it's "time", but lately...and I'm not even anyone important...just a manager Stick out tongue

• image June08BrideJC:

image MrsBreaux2008:
    I was also going to suggest going in the morning.  I found myself working too hard over the past few months as well - and I ended up just forcing myself to leave my work at work and go to the gym.  I "punch the clock" at 5:30 like I'm supposed to...even though some days it's really, really hard. 

That sounds like a plan. I used to try and leave as close to my "9 hours" as possible. Is it bad that now I feel like I'll get fired if I leave when I'm supposed to? I didn't used to feel bad about leaving when it's "time", but lately...and I'm not even anyone important...just a manager Stick out tongue

I know exactly what you mean.  I can't even take my half day Friday off without catching a lot of grief and being "expected" to check my email.  It's kind of crazy because I don't really hold any decision making power - I'm just the discipline lead on the job (even though I don't get treated like the other leads do).  I've just started ignoring the comments and working my 40 hours...  I don't mind what we call "casual" overtime (you know, getting here early, working through lunch, staying until 6pm to answer questions)...  but once I walk out the door I have to tell myself that I'm done and it will all still be on my desk tomorrow. :) 

Plus the gym helps me relieve some of the stress and office ridiculousness before I get home to my husband...so he appreciates me not unloading on him too. 

• image MrsBreaux2008:

I know exactly what you mean.  I can't even take my half day Friday off without catching a lot of grief and being "expected" to check my email.  It's kind of crazy because I don't really hold any decision making power - I'm just the discipline lead on the job (even though I don't get treated like the other leads do).  I've just started ignoring the comments and working my 40 hours...  I don't mind what we call "casual" overtime (you know, getting here early, working through lunch, staying until 6pm to answer questions)...  but once I walk out the door I have to tell myself that I'm done and it will all still be on my desk tomorrow. :) 

Plus the gym helps me relieve some of the stress and office ridiculousness before I get home to my husband...so he appreciates me not unloading on him too. 

Same! I do a lot of things...but our marketing VP is the real decision maker. I think the problem is that she works all the time. Even weekends! So that starts to overflow to me. I'm with you on "casual" overtime - I almost always work through lunch, if anything. DH said the problem is the more I give the more they take....so I should give less if they keep taking advantage of me.  Have you been at your company for a long time? I'm fairly new (been here 10 months), so I guess I also don't feel the security I did at my old job (where I could tell people to shove it! haha).

The gym is definitely a great place to de-stress. I think I vented less about work when I was consistently going to the gym too.

• I've been here for almost 4 years now...so I feel a little more secure than I did when I had only been here 10 months. 

Remember, you work to live, you don't live to work. :)

• image June08BrideJC:
    Anyone find that getting rid of, or limiting, TV helps? We're thinking about "hiding" the remote during the week and catching up on our shows during the weekend. Not sure if that would be beneficial or not...

Not for us but that's b/c we skip the gym to take naps instead :) I feel like a lot of the others in that we have to go as soon as we get home. We have to go home first to let the dog out so we can't go straight to the gym from work, plus our home is on the way to the gym. We just have to stay moving and not sit down! We lose all motivation when we sit down.

DH goes w/ me and that helps a lot too. We know our designated gym days and that keeps us on a schedule.  

Happiest place on Earth!