Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Pride of America - Hawaii cruise, anyone been?

I'd love to hear tips, stories or see pics if anyone has been! I've been referencing a few recent posts for things to do in the stops (oahu, kaui, etc) -- very helpful!

TIA

Re: Pride of America - Hawaii cruise, anyone been?

• Our first trip to Hawaii was a POM cruise in 2007.  We live in Hawaii now so that should tell you how much we liked our trip.  :-D

My biggest advice would be to just rent a car in each port and explore on your own, except for Kona.  You don't need your own car on Kona.

Also, if you can, take two or so days to explore Oahu as well.

I found the boards on www.cruisecritic.com to be the most helpful in planning my cruise.

If you can afford it, get a balcony room.  It really was a life-changing trip for us. 

• Yes, I went on this cruise last April with my husband, parents, and brother.  I really liked it because there is a port every day and my least favorite part of cruises are days at sea.  It was great to have two days in Maui and Kauai.  Due to the size of our group, we rented a car at every port and mostly drove around to different beaches.  We didn't do any of the cruise-run excursions, but we booked a boat snorkeling tour one day in Maui to the crater, which was cool because we saw the sea turtles.  We had been to Hawaii before so that's one reason we didn't book any excursions.  We all had balcony rooms which was great for the day when we cruised the Napali coast in Kauai, gorgeous views!  I've been on a lot of cruises and this ship was much smaller than some of the newer ones, but I found that to be nice and less crowded.  My favorite part of this trip was taking a surfing lesson at Waikiki beach in Honolulu before we got on the cruise=O)  Anyway, I'd definitely recommend the cruise and it's a great way to see as much as possible of Hawaii in a week.  If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.  And I do have a bunch of photos if you post your email address, I will send them. 
  • Thanks so much! I can only wish that we decide to move there, this frozen tundra is getting old!

This is our itinerary -- so it sounds like we are pretty much on track. Plan on renting cars in each port and doing our own thing.

Day 1 - arrive late Oahu
    Rental car
    Sheraton Princess Kalulani

Day 2 - Oahu
    Dole Plantation
    Leonard's Bakery
    Return car to Thrifty by 3pm?
    Check-in cruise by 5pm at the latest

Day 3 & 4- Maui
    Pick up car at Thrifty at 9am
    Tedeschi Vineyards (1:30p)
    Alii Kula Lavendar Farm
    Old Lahaina Luau Sunday night

Haleakala Sunrise (http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/hnp.htm)
    Road to Hana - Waianapanapa Black Sand Beach
    Drop car at Thrifty before 5pm on Day 4

Day 5 - Hilo
    Punalu?u Beach
    Volcanoes National Park
    Rainbow Falls
    Kehena Beach & Pahoa
    Drop car at Thrifty before 5pm

Day 6 - Kona
    Kona Coffee
    South Point

Day 7/8 - Kauai
    Kalalau Trail
    Kilauea Lighthouse

Waimea Canyon - past visitor center
    Drop car at Thrifty before 12pm on Day 8

Day 9 - Oahu
    Disembark cruise
    Pearl Harbor
    Diamond Head
    Stay at Outrigger

Day 10 - Oahu
    North Shore
    Polynesian Cultural Center
    Drop car at Thrifty before 8pm
    Go home :(

• I don't suppose you could just do all your days on Oahu before or after the cruise and not split them up like that?

I think it would make things easier on you and allow you to be more relaxed.

• We actually aren't in Oahu too much before the cruise -- we arrive late at night (after 10pm), check into the hotel and then just have the morning/afternoon to kill before we check into the cruise. We dont want to risk arriving the day the cruise leaves (too many travel nightmares unfortunately!)!
  • We just went in November for our Honeymoon. We arrived on Thursday in Oahu. Stayed two nights, 3 days.. Boarded the ship on Saturday. It was AMAZING. I wrote a blog about it....

http://www.adventuresofmrandmrsh.blogspot.com

Any questions PM ME

• Thanks so much! I can only wish that we decide to move there, this frozen tundra is getting old!

This is our itinerary -- so it sounds like we are pretty much on track. Plan on renting cars in each port and doing our own thing.

Day 1 - arrive late Oahu
    Rental car
    Sheraton Princess Kalulani

Day 2 - Oahu
    Dole Plantation
    Leonard's Bakery
    Return car to Thrifty by 3pm?
    Check-in cruise by 5pm at the latest

Day 3 & 4- Maui
    Tedeschi Vineyards (1:30p)
    Alii Kula Lavendar Farm
    Old Lahaina Luau Sunday night

Haleakala Sunrise (http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/hnp.htm)
    Road to Hana - Waianapanapa Black Sand Beach
    Drop car at Thrifty before 5pm on Day 4

Day 5 - Hilo
    Punalu?u Beach
    Volcanoes National Park
    Rainbow Falls
    Kehena Beach & Pahoa

Day 6 - Kona
    Kona Coffee
    South Point

Day 7/8 - Kauai
    Kalalau Trail
    Kilauea Lighthouse

Waimea Canyon - past visitor center
    Drop car at Thrifty before 12pm on Day 8

Day 9 - Oahu
    Disembark cruise
    Pearl Harbor
    Diamond Head
    Stay at Outrigger

Day 10 - Oahu
    North Shore
    Polynesian Cultural Center
    Drop car at Thrifty before 8pm
    Go home :(

From our experience, you may want to switch day 2 and day 9.... Pearl Harbor you need to get there EARLY in the morning.... and if you arent going until you disembark the ship and go there it will be around 10am-11am by the time you could get there. It will be packed. Same with Diamond Head... You might want to do Pearl Harbor on Day 2 early am.... and do Diamond Head on day 9 first thing... then do the Dole Plantation.... OR Make Dole Plantation the first thing you do on Day 10. We did that. We got off the boat, rented the car and headed to the Dole Plantation then North Shore. We skipped the PCC as we were told it was a little over rated and you really need a WHOLE day. I would rather explore than spend my whole day in one place.

Your day 5 might not be possible. We rented a car (off the ship as soon as you could) and headed right to VNP. By the time we left there it was 1pm! You dont think you would spend a lot of time there but you do... If you want to look at stop. Not sure if you could do VNP and Rainbow Falls (if I remember)... we did VNP and Akaka Falls, which were AMAZING! We did VNP and Akaka.. stopped at Walmart for another memory card, returned our car and were back on board by 4:30... you MUST be back at 5pm.

Any questions/comments email me vmahart at gmail dot com