International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected].

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

CPE Exam?

Is there anyone here with experience with the Certificate of Proficiency in English? With my wonderful luck, I need an officially recognized title saying I speak English. It doesn't matter that I'm a native speaker. So, I'm going to bite the bullet and pay the 250 or so euros to take the Cambridge exam which, if I pass, will give me a C2 (in the common European framework) in English. I already have the C2 in Spanish, which I had thought was enough... 

The test is in early March. Has anyone done this exam? Do I need to pick up a book and do some studying?  

Re: CPE Exam?

• I've never even heard of such a thing.  Whoever is requiring you to take it is fu<king ridiculous.
  • image wise_rita:
    I've never even heard of such a thing.  Whoever is requiring you to take it is fu<king ridiculous.

Agreed.  Seriously Haly, Spain sucks monkey balls!

• image Snippylynn:

In order to get into the Master's in Secondary Education (which is required to teach at the secondary level now)  I have to have at least a B2 in a "modern language." Logically, Spanish doesn't count. I don't think there's a lot of foreigners who enter the public system to teach their native language.

Spain doesn't suck money balls, it just likes you to have official papers with pretty (expensive!) stamps and signatures on them. If I told you all of the hoops I've had to jump through you'd really think it sucks here.

• image wise_rita:
    I've never even heard of such a thing.  Whoever is requiring you to take it is fu<king ridiculous.

Bureaucracy.

• Well, I'm pretty sure it's almost exactly like Italy. Been there, done that-- don't want to do it again. ;)
  • image Snippylynn:
    Well, I'm pretty sure it's almost exactly like Italy. Been there, done that-- don't want to do it again. ;)

hahaha, I was thinking "Wait, didn't she live in Italy?" 

I keep telling myself that surviving this process will make me a stronger person. 

• It builds character ;) It's also a big pain in the butt. Gosh, I hate red tape.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic International Nesties Signature Challenge - Place I would most like to visit
  • image Cantia:
    It builds character ;) It's also a big pain in the butt. Gosh, I hate red tape.

Hones my Spanish skills too! I've learned not to take no for an answer. Gotta take it like a game...

• We have to take the CPE exams when we come to work for my company. One of the guys that I used to work with had perfect USA English and the only issues he had were that the thest was for British English, some of the words used weren't familiar to him so he had issues with those questions. He got a C2 still. I doubt you will have any issues with it.

(I've also got a French friend who's passed the C2 level but she took the test way before I got here so I've no clue what issues she found with the test). 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • image halydia:
    image Snippylynn:

In order to get into the Master's in Secondary Education (which is required to teach at the secondary level now)  I have to have at least a B2 in a "modern language." Logically, Spanish doesn't count. I don't think there's a lot of foreigners who enter the public system to teach their native language.

Spain doesn't suck money balls, it just likes you to have official papers with pretty (expensive!) stamps and signatures on them. If I told you all of the hoops I've had to jump through you'd really think it sucks here.

ok then. Spain sucks official stamped and sealed monkey balls! 

still, probably the easiest exam of your entire life though, eh?!?!

• image xnickerx:

still, probably the easiest exam of your entire life though, eh?!?!

I looked at the exam questions this morning. I'll have to check out the formats they want for the writing bits, but other than that should be a breeze.

Phew. 

Easiest exam, but also one of the most expensive!