Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Cleaning a stovetop griddle

I have a cast iron griddle that I used to make steaks on and I can't get it clean. My husband only let it sit for an hour or so before going to clean (ie. just enough time to eat with our guests). I've tried soaking it (for like, 2 days), using the scrape-y part of the sponge, and a million other things. I'm too scared to break out the brillo because I think it's "technically" non-stick.

Any suggestions on how to clean it?

Thanks!

Re: Cleaning a stovetop griddle

• First you need to establish if it is cast iron or "non-stick" (which people often use to mean Teflon-coated).  I assume it is really cast iron, in which case it isn't non-stick in the sense that a standard skillet or pot might be, but due to the build-up of a seasoning layer.  You can use steel wool, a brillo pad, etc., but you will almost definitely need to re-season it after you're done.  (In fact, it sounds like you'll probably want to re-season regardless.)

There are lots of variations out there, but I liked this site's directions: http://www.cookingforengineers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=372

We just seasoned our griddle, so if you have any more questions ask away and I'll see what I can come up with!  It was smoky business, but our griddle is very nice now!

• Thanks for the tip! I honestly cannot remember what ours was. Considering meat has always stuck to it, I'm going to guess that means it's real cast iron? Especially because it does smoke. I need to pay better attention to this stuff.
  • image wldktz10:
    Thanks for the tip! I honestly cannot remember what ours was. Considering meat has always stuck to it, I'm going to guess that means it's real cast iron? Especially because it does smoke. I need to pay better attention to this stuff.

Yeah, it is probably cast iron.  You would probably know if it were Teflon-coated; the surface would be smooth/slick.

Once it is seasoned properly, food won't stick as badly.

• image belovedbride07:

image wldktz10:
    Thanks for the tip! I honestly cannot remember what ours was. Considering meat has always stuck to it, I'm going to guess that means it's real cast iron? Especially because it does smoke. I need to pay better attention to this stuff.

Yeah, it is probably cast iron.  You would probably know if it were Teflon-coated; the surface would be smooth/slick.

Once it is seasoned properly, food won't stick as badly.

Ok, good to know. Someone suggested we clean it off by letting it dry and picking the food off with a toothpick. Worked like a charm. I just need to clean it off with a damp cloth to get the crumbs off then I will season it before I use it again. 

Thanks!

• I usually clean it while it's warm, if it's cooled off, I'll just re-heat it a bit, then use paper towel to just remove whatever is stuck on it. If it's really stuck I'll let it get completely smoking hot again and pour some water on it (be careful when doing that, hot steam!!!), that'll loosen everything right up. Then take a BIG scrunched up bunch of paper towel and wipe it. (Make sure you use a lot of paper towel, so you can keep the heat relatively far away from your hands).

Works like a charm every single time! 

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!