Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Can I use Clorox wipes on Granite?

We just bought a house with granite countertops.  What can I use to clean it?  Can I use the clorox wipes?  I like the idea of disinfecting the countertops after preparing food.

What do I do?

Re: Can I use Clorox wipes on Granite?

• I wouldn't.  If I need to disinfect mine I wash them with dish soap and water, then use a granite cleaner spray afterward.  If I'm just picking up crumbs or spills I will only use the spray.
  • Nope.  Don't.  I'm having granite installed and have been reading up on it.  Just use a light water/dish soap combo but nothing with citrus, and then buff with a soft, clean, dry towel.  Any of the acids will slowly (or quickly) eat off the finish.  And you want to seal it every year or two.  Go to Home Depot or your closest hardware store and ask them for the granite care section.  There should be sealer, a stone soap safe for it, and other useful stuff.  And google Granite Care.  You will get a ton of sites. 

Sept 2011 Board - Feb Sig Challenge: Reception Location-
    image Wedding Countdown Ticker

But why wouldn't you serve ice cream with the cake?
  • People tell you to be super careful with granite, but honestly -- it's one of the most durable substances that you can use for countertops.  I don't baby mine at all.  We've had it for 3 years, and it looks great.

I use natural cleaners because that's what I feel comfortable using around my daughter.  I like Seventh Generation disinfecting spray, and I've also used Method's all purpose spray.  I also use Clorox Anywhere Spray if I have raw chicken juice or something (obviously not natural, but I don't want salmonella).   I wouldn't use 409 or anything.

Those I use daily.  Once a week or so I'll use Method brand granite cleaner.  I like it, but I don't think it gets the counter clean, just polishes it up and makes it pretty.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • Use them weekly/daily if needed on granite and I think we just have builder grade stuff (says a granite guy who came out to give us a quote on our bathroom counter).

We have sealed ours in the last year so I'm not worried at tall.

Megan--Mommy to Owen 1.10.07 and Gibson 5.11.10