Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

fireplace cleaning????

My H & I just bought our first home, and in what will be our living room, we have a fireplace. I had it inspected and everything was fine and we are able to use it...the only thing is, the front/face of it has a lot of residue/soot ...and I want to clean this off the brick. I have heard that oven cleaner is great for this type of cleaning. Has anyone tried this, or have any other suggestions/solutions that they have tried or used??

Re: fireplace cleaning????

• I don't have any tips or advice because I was just going to post something similar. Is your fireplace woodburning? I'm wondering about cleaning out the inside with the soot and ashes.
  • are you worried about cleaning the build up in the chimney shoot or just getting the ashes out of the inside?  I just use a broom to sweep the ashes into a dust pan and put them into a paper bag (obviously this is days after I've had a fire so that I don't burn my living room down with a paper bag full of hot ashes).  Then I just toss them. 
    Photobucket
  • yea my fireplace is woodburning. I have swept it free of soot and ashes...but when we bought the house it had a built in screen...we took that off and now once we got up in there, there is this thick looking soot that I tried to wire brush off...and when we had it inspected they said it looked fine, but after researching...I saw pictures of creosate and it resembled what I found...so I called the chimney guy back and he is coming out Friday to check it out for me. Thanks so much for all your help girls!
  • Scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner (in the aerosal can) took the soot of the front of the brick surround on our fireplace.
    DS1 5/2010, DS2 11/2012