Caribbean Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Hunger Games discussion

I finished the series last night.  Are we ready to discuss?  I think I was the last person people were waiting on.
"That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton

Re: Hunger Games discussion

• Too many people died at the end. I thought this was supposed to be YA. I wouldn't want a completely clean ending, but COME ON. And it was complete BS that she blamed Gale for Prim's death. But I guess they needed some unquestionable way for her to choose a lovor that wouldn't piss off half the fangirls.

However, I did like that District 13 was corrupt and had to be taken down a notch simultaneously with the Capitol. 

Haymitch is Robert Downey Jr., and pretty close to his Sherlock Holmes character, in my mind.

"As of page 2 this might be the most boring argument ever. It's making me long for Rape Day." - Mouse
  • I shall try to participate even though I meant to reread and got caught up in World W/O End instead.  It wasn't that long ago that I read it but Jack was days/weeks old and I was sleep deprived.

• image _Fenton:

Too many people died at the end. I thought this was supposed to be YA. I wouldn't want a completely clean ending, but COME ON. And it was complete BS that she blamed Gale for Prim's death. But I guess they needed some unquestionable way for her to choose a lovor that wouldn't piss off half the fangirls.

However, I did like that District 13 was corrupt and had to be taken down a notch simultaneously with the Capitol. 

This is EXACTLY how I feel.  The deaths toward the end just started being unnecessary and pointless.  And the big build up as she's racing toward the President's mansion just to end up back in a hospital was kind of a buzzkill.  

It was interesting that District 13 ran in a communist fashion while the Capitol was the epitome of overindulgent capitalism.  

• image CaliopeSpidrman:

It was interesting that District 13 ran in a communist fashion while the Capitol was the epitome of overindulgent capitalism.  

Ooh yes, I remember thinking the book was a condemnation of extremes and how freedom floats somewhere in the middle. Although I'd say the Capitol was more of a facist, selective capitalism.

I know some people liked the first book best, and while I can see that being the simplest, most straightforward incarnation of the themes or whatever, I think the second book may be my favorite. All the contestants being former victors, celebrated in society yet world-weary and wise from their traumatic experience, and all going in with choices to make about what angle to play, whether to rebel or not, I liked that story the most.

"As of page 2 this might be the most boring argument ever. It's making me long for Rape Day." - Mouse
  • image _Fenton:

Too many people died at the end. I thought this was supposed to be YA. I wouldn't want a completely clean ending, but COME ON. And it was complete BS that she blamed Gale for Prim's death. But I guess they needed some unquestionable way for her to choose a lovor that wouldn't piss off half the fangirls.

Agreed! I had to reread Prim's death scene because I was all "...whut". That was totally unnecessary.

Here was my main problem with the first book (and I'm c&ping from my NBC post back in May): A few things did annoy me about the book though. I almost feel as if Katniss almost got off easy. Through the course of the story she comes across competitors that for one reason or another she doesn't want to kill...and she gets away without having to kill any of them. Rue and Thresh were both killed by other players. And she doesn't have to give up her relationship with Peeta because the rules changed, then they didn't, then they did but not really. And I won't even go into the part where the tributes turned into werewolf/clonie things because that was just freaking stupid.

I bet her FUPA's name is Shane, like the gunslinger/drifter of literature.--HappyTummy
  • I agree with you Fenton. The second book was the best.

Book Review Blog

If I were a man (or fitty) I'd totally call my penis THE WIZARD - HappyTummy
  • The theme that the rebellion was still part of the game and she still had to keep Peeta alive even though he hated her was very interesting to me.

I think it made sense to blame Gale because his whole mindset was something they clashed on several times. He was willing to sacrifice life and to act as the capitol acted in order to win the war. Even though he was sorry Prim died, what happened to cause Prim to die was not something he would have opposed. I think that is the issue that came up between them. 

• I thought the end felt a little rushed--in so far as I had to re-read a few of the fight passages to really understand what was going on. 

I liked the idea that the oppressed become as vicious and oppressive as the former opporessors when they have the power.  I think that's true to life.  I didn't mind the deaths.   It was war. 

I think I remember thinking that Gale was a little to blame.  Or at least that he had the same attitude as those making the decision that led to her sister's death.  I found it realistic that their relationship, which in many ways was innocent and sweet, was a casualty of the war and the hard decisions made in war.  In a way, the death of that relationship felt as big as her sister's.   

• I liked the second book as well.

Who was the person who ended up as president after Coin was assassianted? Pryor? I cannot remember her name. Anyway, didn't they say she was a victor of a previous game? Because I thought she was and so when everyone was pulled in to decide whether the Capitol should be subjected to one last game, she wasn't there and someone said that those were all that were left of the victors.

Anyway, i loved when she killed Coin.

• image BobLoblaw:
    image _Fenton:

Agreed! I had to reread Prim's death scene because I was all "...whut". That was totally unnecessary.

Here was my main problem with the first book (and I'm c&ping from my NBC post back in May): A few things did annoy me about the book though. I almost feel as if Katniss almost got off easy. Through the course of the story she comes across competitors that for one reason or another she doesn't want to kill...and she gets away without having to kill any of them. Rue and Thresh were both killed by other players. And she doesn't have to give up her relationship with Peeta because the rules changed, then they didn't, then they did but not really. And I won't even go into the part where the tributes turned into werewolf/clonie things because that was just freaking stupid.

I give some leeway to keeping your heroine somewhat pure (like Giles kills Glory's alter ego nice guy for those who know Buffy) and I do think she contributed to deaths what with the tracker jacker attack and things.

The wolf/mutants things I thought were over the top and my least favorite part of the trilogy

• image FallinAgain:

I thought the end felt a little rushed--in so far as I had to re-read a few of the fight passages to really understand what was going on. 

I liked the idea that the oppressed become as vicious and oppressive as the former opporessors when they have the power.  I think that's true to life.  I didn't mind the deaths.   It was war. 

I think I remember thinking that Gale was a little to blame.  Or at least that he had the same attitude as those making the decision that led to her sister's death.  I found it realistic that their relationship, which in many ways was innocent and sweet, was a casualty of the war and the hard decisions made in war.  In a way, the death of that relationship felt as big as her sister's.   

THIS to everything here. And the loss of their relationship- even the friendship aspect was one of the hardest things to me.

• hmmm, while I thought the mutant wolfs were brutal, I didn't see it as over the top. It is something I would expect given what we are supposed to believe about the technology. Now the rose scented lizard things were over the top to me.

After I read this, I looked up info on wiki, as I always do and now I want to read Battle Royale, The Running Man (I did see the movie though) and The Long Walk.

• The end felt very rushed.  I guess I could kind of see there being a point to Prim's death (used as an excuse to make Katniss kill Coin and hate Gale, therefore choosing Peeta).  But killing Finnick was pointless and annoying. From the moment they hit the first pods and Boggs dies to the part where Karniss shoots Coin, things just sort of happen quickly with very little explanation. 

I found myself annoyed at Katniss's role in the rebellion.  The fact she had no idea what was going on in the districts and spent her time sleeping in closets and kind of being a self centered a-hole, while probably more realistic, made me feel like I was missing out on the real meat of the story.  She didn't even learn how to be a soldier to the revolution she symbolized until a few weeks before the war ended.  Maybe it's more that I'm annoyed that someone can be held up as a symbolic leader when they have no idea what's going on and spend their days having makeup applied and taking photos.  I know that's how it is, but it's a load of BS.

I agree that it was very true to life that the rebels would turn around and treat the Capitol's population the same way they were treated. 

The second book was my favorite, for sure.  

• image wingedbride:

Anyway, i loved when she killed Coin.

I saw it coming, but it was satisfying when it happened and felt like the best, most obvious way to solve the reemerging problem.

• keeping in mind that she is a 16-17 year old teenager I think she did a relatively small amount of moody bullcrap.
  • I don't think the loss of Gale's friendship hit me as hard as it was supposed to. I don't feel like I got a really good sense of Gale until the third book, when their relationship had already started to change from what it'd been before.

I honestly kind of wanted her to end up alone, or at the very least, with neither of them. To be able to sort of move on from the most fuccked up parts of her life and start something new. But maybe that wasn't even a possibility.

I wasn't happy about all the deaths at the end, and I think Finnick's hit me a lot harder than Prim's, but I didn't have a problem with it. It was a war and all the good guys can't come out alive in the end.

I was surprised she got away with Coin's death, but I guess you can't really arm a mentally disturbed person and then blame them for shooting the wrong person.

I also liked the second book best.

• image CaliopeSpidrman:

I found myself annoyed at Katniss's role in the rebellion.  The fact she had no idea what was going on in the districts and spent her time sleeping in closets and kind of being a self centered a-hole, while probably more realistic, made me feel like I was missing out on the real meat of the story.  She didn't even learn how to be a soldier to the revolution she symbolized until a few weeks before the war ended.  Maybe it's more that I'm annoyed that someone can be held up as a symbolic leader when they have no idea what's going on and spend their days having makeup applied and taking photos.  I know that's how it is, but it's a load of BS. 

I think I actually kind of liked this. I liked that she wasn't your typical heroine. She had a real mental breakdown after some really fucked up shiit happened, and I found that a lot more realistic and interesting than taking a "All this crap happened! I'm going to be strong! For my country!!"

I think the way the 13 built her up was supposed to show how they were using her in the same way the Capitol did. For a better cause, but she was still being used.

• i kind of hope at some point she would come back with two more series that play off of this book. 1. The Dark Days and 2. the beginning of Panem.

She could clean up on that shiit. I would buy it.

• While I get the reason why, I just wanted to know more about the action going on in the districts.  We were missing all the real fighting!
  • image noisy_penguin:

I don't think the loss of Gale's friendship hit me as hard as it was supposed to. I don't feel like I got a really good sense of Gale until the third book, when their relationship had already started to change from what it'd been before.

100% agreement. Which is another reason why "Team Gale" confuses me, lol.

I bet her FUPA's name is Shane, like the gunslinger/drifter of literature.--HappyTummy
  • I'm probably in the minority here, but I really liked the end, and I may have liked the third book best.  I felt that it was the most...realistic, I guess?  I liked that the story didn't end with a neat little bow.  That though it was wrapped up, all of the characters that were still alive were left with deep and permanent scars.  Some of the most poignant moments for me were the "real or not real" discussions involving Peeta.  And I thought that it was probably likely that she could never maintain a relationship with Gale, especially after Prim's death.

I really liked that although she ended up with Peeta, it wasn't all puppies and rainbows.  They suffered (and continued to suffer the effects of the war) so that their kids wouldn't have to.

image Mabel the Loser.
  • She was totally a pawn, used by everyone. Which is why I wanted her alone and childless in the end, not ending up with the person everyone wanted her to and having children for him after years of prodding.

But I cannot completely decide whether I am team Gale or Team Peeta until I see how dreamy the actors who portray them are.

And speaking of, did anyone else crave pitas during this book or just me?

• image wingedbride:

i kind of hope at some point she would come back with two more series that play off of this book. 1. The Dark Days and 2. the beginning of Panem.

She could clean up on that shiit. I would buy it.

Yes! I totally want a Panem prequel. With a map, please.

• The Google Machine tells me that the first movie will come out in March of 2012.

I totally want a map. And I'd read the other stuff too.

• I liked the map that showed the locations of old arenas. Most maps don't take that into consideration and really, since there were 75 games and the areas seem large for many of them, a large amount of land mass has to have been taken up by them.

I read someone's blog recommending teachers use drawing a map of panem as a way to teach geography for their students. i alternate between that being a crafty way to get kids interested and lazy teaching. And I wonder if it is the blog of the YA lover teacher on NBC

• image noisy_penguin:

I wasn't happy about all the deaths at the end, and I think Finnick's hit me a lot harder than Prim's, but I didn't have a problem with it. It was a war and all the good guys can't come out alive in the end.

oh my god, YES. If he hadn't had Annie (I think that was her name), I would have been all on board for Team Finnick as an outcome for Katniss, even though he was older. He had that older guy with experience swagga, and he was all muscular, too, right? And then when his romantic side was revealed? HOTNESS.

I did appreciate the fact that Peeta's mind had been screwed with, but only because it gave him some distance and perspective on the duplicitous things Katniss had said and done, even if it was just to stay alive. He would've been kind of a pvssy had they ended up together despite the fact that she had lied to him so many times and had been jonesin' for Gale all along.

I think the reason I was leaning toward Gale in the beginning is that they seemed to care for each other in a very sincere, equal admiration way. Peeta was a little stalkerish and in any other circumstances would seem like a creeper. And then the flames were fanned by stuff Katniss said that wasn't entirely true. It just seemed like all of his love for her was based on perception from afar on gameplay BS.

• There's a map?  I need to google this, I want to see a map.

I also liked the 2nd book the most, it was the most realistic and I loved the rebellion aspect of it.  The last book did seem very rush from the middle to the end. I had to go back and reread many parts, it was almost as if her writing style changed.  I was team Peeta the whole time and was glad they ended up together.  I think his influence on her was extremely important to her healing process.  If she had ended up alone, she would have become a bitter angry person.  His effect would allow her to be softer in the long run. 

Also the killing of Coin was very satisfying. The death of Prim did not surprise me at all and I was less effected by it than the other deaths in the final book. 

IVF#1 May 2011 15 Eggs Retrieved, 11 Fertilized using ICSI + HPT on 6/9/11 Beta #1 420 Beta #2 2167 US 7/1 TWINS!! Due 2/18/2012 Brooke and Nora born at 35.6 weeks Jan 20th 2012
  • image _Fenton:

oh my god, YES. If he hadn't had Annie (I think that was her name), I would have been all on board for Team Finnick as an outcome for Katniss, even though he was older. He had that older guy with experience swagga, and he was all muscular, too, right? And then when his romantic side was revealed? HOTNESS.

I did appreciate the fact that Peeta's mind had been screwed with, but only because it gave him some distance and perspective on the duplicitous things Katniss had said and done, even if it was just to stay alive. He would've been kind of a pvssy had they ended up together despite the fact that she had lied to him so many times and had been jonesin' for Gale all along.

I think the reason I was leaning toward Gale in the beginning is that they seemed to care for each other in a very sincere, equal admiration way. Peeta was a little stalkerish and in any other circumstances would seem like a creeper. And then the flames were fanned by stuff Katniss said that wasn't entirely true. It just seemed like all of his love for her was based on perception from afar on gameplay BS.

While I wasn't glad that Peeta got a mindfuck, I did like that he was able to see Katniss in a new light, as an actual person with flaws, instead of through the eyes of a schoolboy crush. And I think that Peeta saying how manipulative and cold Katniss could be was a big wakeup call for her. Without those aspects of their personality changing I don't think the two of them ending up together in the end would have made any sense.

And yeah. I would have been Team Finnick, were that an option.